Port Neches Groves vs South Oak Cliff 5A-II CG

lilMAC25

Awesome to see the Golden Bears get this one. My friend that played basketball for SOC in the late 80’s is proud of what they did. He coaches basketball at a pretty successful DISD school and he knows the significance of what this title means, especially for black football coaches in the state. The only thing he was fairly adamant about that was not so positive is that many of the athletes are from other areas of the city or from the suburbs. I personally do not care about that, but I think it’s more of a neighborhood thing for him.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Both of my grandfathers worked their entire careers at the Texas Company refinery.  They both lived on Howe Street in the Groves.  My parents were both PNG graduates.

I am so very grateful that my parents relocated to Austin before my first birthday!  (And stayed there!)

I could walk to Howe from my parents' house. I enjoyed growing up there, but I couldn't wait to leave and have no plans to move back. 

25 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I could walk to Howe from my parents' house. I enjoyed growing up there, but I couldn't wait to leave and have no plans to move back. 

No doubt about not moving back there!  That area is very different now than it was when I was around there in the early 1960s.

My paternal grandfather bought there sometime in the early 1930s when it was a new development called "Groves Acres" or such.  He bought a home lot and some adjoining land for enough pasture to raise milk cows and goats.  He actually built his house there by himself with additional manpower from friends and family.  No mortgage.  The building supply store nearby sold him all of the building materials on credit.  He was able to pay that off pretty quickly with overtime from the refinery during the pre-war build up (not to mention the proceeds from all of the milk and eggs he produced!).  That pasture is developed with several houses on it today. 

• Hook 'Em 1