RPM

53 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Yeah if I had a complaint, it would be the brutality against the Indian girls. I’m sure he’s portraying it correctly but this last episode was rough to watch in that regard.

• Rage+1 2

48 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Yeah if I had a complaint, it would be the brutality against the Indian girls. I’m sure he’s portraying it correctly but this last episode was rough to watch in that regard.

Yea they should have had her escape in ep 2.  Last episode we were like "damn the abuse and self defense attacks AGAIN?"  It's like her third time rising up against the nuns and being punished...we get it.  Looks like her escape story will be brutal also...

But the contrast of a white woman nekked in Africa made the episode better (is that wrong??).

• Hook 'Em 2

My God Helen Mirren's character is my great-grandmother.  She came to Texas from the hills of Tennessee in a covered wagon sometime in around 1899.  Other than Mirren's ranch being about 1 million times larger than my great-grandmother's land outside of Comanche, TX, the rest of her story and personality is extremely similar.  I actually shed a tear last night thinking about my Mama Phillips having to say goodbye to her only son in 1941 as he headed to the PTO.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My God Helen Mirren's character is my great-grandmother.  She came to Texas from the hills of Tennessee in a covered wagon sometime in around 1899. 

She's my grandmother. Came to Texas from Mississippi in a covered wagon in 1889. One of the scenes where they are feeding the stock it struck me how much looks like her.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RPM said:

She's my grandmother. Came to Texas from Mississippi in a covered wagon in 1889. One of the scenes where they are feeding the stock it struck me how much looks like her.

I don't want to sidetrack the thread too much, but yes.  The scene where she went out in the field to cry so as not to show weakness around others was spot on.  She was that odd combo of incredibly sweet, but also very stoic.

• Hook 'Em 1

My great-great grandmother drove a mule cart from Indianapolis to Buffalo TX after my great-great grandfather was murdered by a man he sold a horse to for $100, who bludgeoned him to death instead of paying for it.  (The horse thief/murderer was shortly thereafter hanged on the courthouse lawn).

That murder and her relocation to Buffalo is the reason I was born in Texas many decades later.

She looked nothing like Helen Mirren.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Amazingly hot actresses in movies/tv show aren't even a dime a dozen, as there's countless of them, but this Alex chick is special.

I mentioned in my first post about her I'd have married her on the spot.

Glad to see Spencer clearly felt the same way.

It's not just her looks, there's something sultry about the way she talks and her intelligence and attitude are charming as hell.

I do believe she's perfect.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Amazingly hot actresses in movies/tv show aren't even a dime a dozen, as there's countless of them, but this Alex chick is special.

I mentioned in my first post about her I'd have married her on the spot.

Glad to see Spencer clearly felt the same way.

It's not just her looks, there's something sultry about the way she talks and her intelligence and attitude are charming as hell.

I do believe she's perfect.  

I don't know if it matters except maybe to show her talent, but she was born in Bellevue WA so the accent is fake

• Like 1

My maternal grandmother's grandmother, born 1878 in Sabine, Texas. 

6BlOBccp_o.jpg

Looks like she could about fit the bill. Her daughter, my mother's grandmother, had long, nearly ankle length hair that was always done up in a bunch when my mom was growing up. Her cousins told her mammaw NAAL was a witch when she had her hair down, which was obviously true.

Anyhow, continuing with stories about hard af ancestors, my mom's grandfather helped his aunt move from Panola County in East Texas to Childress because the drier climate was supposed to be good for their asthma or something. Anyhow, he helped them move out there and build a dugout or whatever and then made his way back to Panola County on horseback. He was twelve.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/9/2023 at 6:36 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Yeah man I had to walk away. I’m like this is too fucked for me 

You had to walk away?  You know it’s not real, right?  I love this show. Moreso than 1883. Problem is I have to jerk every time I finish an episode. 

On 1/10/2023 at 10:04 AM, RPM said:

This has been so eye opening.  I was raised Catholic. I still go to church. I’m no Bible banger or judgy or give any Fs about anything. But learning this and watching this show and spending more time reading about these “schools” I’ve moved along to a nondenominational service in the weekends.  I don’t care how long ago that was or if any apologies were ever give. Those were gd children 

• Hook 'Em 1

Jesus, in the middle of the goddam ocean you can't stop crossing paths which an abandoned ship? 

Or was that a different one?  I can't see how they'd come across the same one, given they had an engine and were moving in a different directions for hours.  

The episode made me curious if any ghost ships were still floating around and I came across this.

Back in 2018  a cargo ship had to be abandoned by the crew (rescued by the coast guard).  The thing is, this ship was sailing from Greece to Haiti, and about a year and a half later it wound up getting slammed against the rocks on the coast of Ireland.  That is far out.

Here's the article about that vessel and other ghost ships:  https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ghost-ships-haunt-the-seas/78374

9 hours ago, Augustus said:

Jesus, in the middle of the goddam ocean you can't stop crossing paths which an abandoned ship? 

Or was that a different one?  I can't see how they'd come across the same one, given they had an engine and were moving in a different directions for hours.   

Lol.  I think that was a different one...first was abandoned.  Second was actually moving and pushing them, you could see the ship's bow mowing water.

Nevermind.  Some episode recaps say it was same ghost ship.

Glad this show is back...their "break" was a little too long.  Lost some momentum, and weird the network did that.  Last night's ep would have been a better cliffhanger.

Edited by utxmike05

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Goddamn son, it was the same ship. Drink less. 

Only thing I can figure is when the captain expired the tug circled back but that would've been a lot of sea to cover in a short amount of time.

I'm loving this show but that was just a little bit silly for me.  Plenty of ways to capsize the tug without running across the ghost ship, *twice* on the open ocean, in a very unlikely fashion.

7 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Good episode.

Did I hear the tug boat captain say they needed to keep a north by northeast heading? They're leaving Mumbai and going to the Suez Canal. How the fuck do you travel that direction to get west, even following the coastline? 

They were leaving from Mombasa, not Mumbai.  They were in Africa, not India.

So they had to sail northeast to get around Somalia before sailing up to Suez.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Augustus said:

They were leaving from Mombasa, not Mumbai.  They were in Africa, not India.

So they had to sail northeast to get around Somalia before sailing up to Suez.

Also worth noting that even if they had been in India, nobody called Bombay "Mumbai" in 1923.

24 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Mark-cuban GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I swear I saw a preview awhile back of a shark threat for Spencer and blondie.  They better make it back before the damn finale.  

It's looking like this season will end with Spencer arriving at the Yellowstone, setting up the looming war with Timothy Dalton and Bronn of the Blackwater.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Augustus said:

You clearly aren't familiar with 1883.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

That second "ghost" ship appeared to be under power.

It was the same ghost ship. The Captain told the story of one chasing them across the Mediterranean during the war. Wind and currents move them. They were only about 3 hours away from it sitting dead in the water for who knows how long. It caught them and Sailor Dutton zagged when he should have zigged. Should stick to hunting.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:47 PM, DeepEastTexas said:

Well, there you go. That makes more sense. 

I mean, Spencer has been in Africa the whole season. With a bunch of black people and giraffes and shit. I’m sure you saw the elephants but when did you see Indians?  So many questions.