New GOP Congressman's entire resume is faked

Orale

On 1/26/2023 at 6:15 PM, Ghost of LL said:

This is uninformed cynicism masquerading as sophistication.

I deal with public officials right across the state on a damned-near daily basis.  There are a lot of them that I don't like personally.  There are a lot of them whose positions I find noxious, if not downright un-American.

But I'm also going to tell you that, broadly speaking, they're people who are trying to serve the public as they see the public interest.  They're serving their constituents, and often their positions--noxious as they are--reflect their constituency.  But they're not crooked.  They do these jobs for shockingly little money.  They're not violating campaign-finance laws or soliciting kickbacks or taking bribes.  They could.  But they don't.

There are exceptions, of course.  There's John Wiley Price.  There's Ken Paxton.  Those people are fucking criminals.  

But they're the outliers.

And then there's George Santos.  He's the outlier that goes far beyond the outliers.

When you say George Santos isn't "any worse than the rest of them," you actually show how little you know about our public officials.  And your cynicism may convince some who are just as uninformed as you that you have some inside scoop.  But you don't. 

What you bring to the table isn't insight or information or knowledge.  You just bring a malignant cynicism that has infected our body politic, convincing it that everyone is a crook and that our democracy isn't worth saving.  It's the cancer that led to January 6.  It's a cancer that continues to grow today.  And it's fucking threatening the life of our country.

So stop being a moronic asshole and shut the fuck up about shit of which you have no knowledge.

Yep, it’s a defense mechanism for the R’s too - again I’m not saying that’s right.  They’re like ‘they all accused us of being exactly this anyway, and now that *this* exists we are supposed to go nuclear?’

Be pissed and stay hyper vigilant but don’t become ‘they’re all the same’ guy because that plays right into their hand.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/31/rep-george-santos-says-he-wont-serve-on-house-committees-while-investigations-are-ongoing.html

Embattled Republican Rep. George Santos of New York will not serve on the two House committees to which he was recently assigned until the investigations into his conduct have concluded, his office said Tuesday.

“The congressman is reserving his seats on his assigned committees until he has been properly cleared of both campaign and personal financial investigations,” said his spokeswoman, Naysa Woomer.

Santos informed Republican lawmakers during a closed-door conference meeting in Washington, D.C., earlier Tuesday that “he’s not accepting the committee assignments until things get cleared up,” according to a longtime GOP lawmaker who was in the room. This person declined to be named to discuss private conversations.

So never then. OK, cool.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

These committees are actual work, people are assigning me things!  I didn’t run to have to work. 

It's like when Trump got to the White House.

Security briefings?  You expect me to read all these pages, every single day?  I just wanted to put on an extra long tie and be on tv.

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, another fun head scratcher for MAGA nation was learning that the single most important step a POTUS can take to help insure the safety and welfare of the American people is to intake the PDB.  Every morning, anywhere in the world, via any medium, Natl Sec Adv/DNI/CIA/Joint Chiefs can all deliver the POTUS the most up-to-the-minute intel on any possible harms to the U.S. and its assets and allies.  President's have been receiving it in some incarnation since FDR, and in its current format since JFK.  

And almost to a personally appointed person at the above agencies, they all admitted that Trump never did them daily, sometimes for a whole week, and he would intake them, he'd peruse a few sentences here and there, ask a couple of questions, and move on to watching television.  For the first 18 months, nobody said anything to him because nobody knew if he was legally required to onboard the document/briefing each day, or at least officially schedule the briefing, or if that was just a custom.  

so much of what Trump did or didn't do can't be a slam-dunk prosecution simply because nobody ever thought to write down a law about it because doing so would have raised so many red flags.  "The President cannot physically remove classified nuclear secrets from the White House after leaving office to be stored in unsecure hotels for the purpose of selling to foreign nations."  Well yeah, you submit that law onto the books, a lot of high-up people are gonna ask a lotta tough questions.  

Same thing with Santos.  His defenders say, "It doesn't matter.  There's no campaign law that says you can't say you're a 5'10" volleyball player at Baruch College or NYU."  Well technically, that's true.  Because nobody would ever think to write that fucking law.  

• Hook 'Em 1

“The congressman is reserving his seats on his assigned committees until he has been properly cleared of both campaign and personal financial investigations,” said his spokeswoman, Naysa Woomer.

She's active on twitter but no mention of Mr Devolver (err... Santos)

image.png.239a9dcf4e47b2cd00c0bfe9557aa363.png

Cap Hill Comms Director huh?  So she's desperate/depraved enough to work for him but at least she has the good sense not to brag about it.  I have to think his entire staff is like this.  They'll wallow in the shit, but I'm sure they all have their explanations at the ready when the inevitable happens.

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And almost to a personally appointed person at the above agencies, they all admitted that Trump never did them daily, sometimes for a whole week, and he would intake them, he'd peruse a few sentences here and there, ask a couple of questions, and move on to watching television.  For the first 18 months, nobody said anything to him because nobody knew if he was legally required to onboard the document/briefing each day, or at least officially schedule the briefing, or if that was just a custom. 

After awhile they learned that if they didn't mix in his name every page or so then he'd lose interest and stop paying attention. Because anything not specifically concerning Dotard didn't interest him at all. Just exactly the qualities you want in a President.

13 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

She's active on twitter but no mention of Mr Devolver (err... Santos)

image.png.239a9dcf4e47b2cd00c0bfe9557aa363.png

Cap Hill Comms Director huh?  So she's desperate/depraved enough to work for him but at least she has the good sense not to brag about it.  I have to think his entire staff is like this.  They'll wallow in the shit, but I'm sure they all have their explanations at the ready when the inevitable happens.

image.png

• Haha 1

We're all thinking it, so I'm just gonna be the sexist asshole who posts it (but she's rancid and working to con the American people so fuck her!):

She's smuggling Kuato in there, and since Santos was the first human to talk on Mars---he's their best shot at getting back to the Red Planet.  

Also---Bill Murray is not gonna be pleased about getting dragged into their bullshit.  

• Haha 2

I think it's the green screen she's wearing that makes her look fat.  You know how they do that trick photography. 

Also, if you've ever toured the House Chamber, they keep it toasty warm because most of the members are 86 years old and should be in Florida right now.  But Santos wears the thick sweater and suit indoors and then in Washington in the dead of winter, he doesn't wear a sweater or a topcoat?  He's definitely Lizard People.  

23 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think it's the green screen she's wearing that makes her look fat.  You know how they do that trick photography. 

Also, if you've ever toured the House Chamber, they keep it toasty warm because most of the members are 86 years old and should be in Florida right now.  But Santos wears the thick sweater and suit indoors and then in Washington in the dead of winter, he doesn't wear a sweater or a topcoat?  He's definitely Lizard People.  

That reminds me of a great article a while back..

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/17/style/george-santos-style.html

Spoiler

Clothes Make the Con Man

George Santos used fashion to flout the rules.

George Santos dressing for Congress in a white shirt, crew-neck sweater, blue blazer and khaki trousers.

Jan. 17, 2023

There is a scene at the beginning of “The Talented Mr. Ripley,” the 1999 film adaptation of the Patricia Highsmith book, in which Tom Ripley, the young man who becomes one of fiction’s greatest fakers, borrows a Princeton jacket from a friend to sit in for the piano player at a ritzy garden party. From that assumed finery, an entire novel’s worth of cons are born.

It’s not unlike Frank Abagnale shrugging on a PanAm pilot’s uniform in “Catch Me If You Can” to convince the watching world he is a pilot, or Anna Sorokin, a.k.a. Anna Delvey, the fake heiress of recent grift, swanning through New York society in Celine sunglasses and Gucci sandals. Or even Elizabeth Holmes assuming the black turtleneck of Steve Jobs, and with it his mystique.

Throughout history, the greatest grifters have understood that dressing the part is half the game. And so it has been with George Santos, the Republican congressman representing parts of Long Island and Queens, who has been unmasked as having fabricated pretty much his entire résumé in his quest to get elected, potentially committing campaign finance fraud in the process.

Why, people keep asking, did it take so long for his lies to be revealed? Why did no one think to poke deeper? Why did the people who did know something fishy was going on not speak up?

In part because he just looked so darn convincing.

He went to Horace Mann, Baruch and N.Y.U. and came from money? Behold, the uniform of preppy private-school boys everywhere: the button-up white shirt, crew-neck sweater (most often in the old-school colors of periwinkle and gray), blue blazer and khaki trousers, like something straight out of “Dead Poets Society.”

He was a financier, who had worked at Citigroup and Goldman Sachs? Lo, the three-quarter zip sweater and fleece (or fleece-like) vest, uniform of bankers everywhere. Just consider the last six seasons of “Billions.”

The semiotics of sweater dressing: Mr. Santos in zip-front knitwear.The semiotics of sweater dressing: Mr. Santos in zip-front knitwear. Credit...Tom Brenner for The New York Times

He went deep into the costume department of the popular culture hive mind and built his cover story layer by layer, garment by garment.

He may wear suits sometimes, but it is the sweaters, in their various permutations, that have been the telling detail, along with the horn-rimmed glasses — visual shorthand, in pretty much every medium, for intellectual. Both are props that push the buttons of stereotype buried in our subconscious. We are so much more likely to believe a story if it is embedded in the codes we expect, dress code being among the first.

Yes, it’s a cliché. That doesn’t mean it isn’t effective. Clothes are the camouflage that gets you in the door. Especially in a world in which the line between visual truth and fiction is increasingly filtered.

It would not be surprising then, that Mr. Santos is alleged to have bought hundreds of dollars worth of garments and shoes in Brazil using checks stolen from his mother’s handbag. And that a former roommate claimed in The New York Post that the Burberry scarf Mr. Santos wore to a Stop the Steal rally in 2021 didn’t actually belong to him but to the roommate, and Mr. Santos took it when the two men shared an apartment. That another said Mr. Santos had taken some of his dress shirts, including an Armani number. Mr. Santos clearly understood that no matter the character you are playing, what you wear tells the story.

So he dressed up his story of embodying the American dream in the fashion vernacular of archetypes. By indulging public preconceptions of how someone with his résumé should look, Mr. Santos was implicitly underscoring his own credibility.

And he is still doing it. It is not an accident that since his fabrications have been revealed, he has stuck largely to his preppy layering. See the periwinkle blue crew neck he wore over a white shirt and navy-and-white tie and under a navy suit during the House swearing-in; it’s a uniform both protective and promising. One that had a Pavlovian association with words like “wholesome,” “polite,” “youthful,” “well intentioned.” It’s the kind of style that conjures up images of grandmothers saying, “But he looks like such a nice boy.” (He even arrived for the ceremony toting a backpack.)

Outside a Stop & Shop in a fleece-adjacent look.Outside a Stop & Shop in a fleece-adjacent look. Credit...Mary Altaffer/Associated Press

Just as when writers sometimes clean up the language of interviewees to make the written statement easier to read than the spoken one — which can often seem garbled on the page — dressing to satisfy expectations rather than reflect everyday reality is a form of sleight of hand.

(The practice of quote amelioration became something of a cause célèbre when the psychoanalyst Jeffrey Masson sued the journalist Janet Malcolm for libel for massaging his words.)

But in fact, while bankers may love a logo fleece, it’s usually one that advertises the institutions to which they belong or the invite-only conferences that they attend (Sun Valley! Davos!). Mr. Santos’s version, worn mostly on the campaign trail as he was selling his myth, advertised his own candidacy.

And according to Lisa Birnbach, the author of “The Official Preppy Handbook,” Mr. Santos’s version of preppy style is too groomed, too layered, too contrived to be that of a genuine prepster. She said she hadn’t seen a crew neck under a blazer over a tie since George Plimpton ran The Paris Review in the second half of the 20th century. Mr. Santos, she said, looks like an extra in “Family Ties,” the sitcom that starred Michael J. Fox as a teenage Republican. He’s trying too hard.

Some are now beginning to speculate that even the glasses are fakes, donned to complete the picture, that they don’t have the distortions associated with corrective lenses.

That we should have realized, really, they were too easy to see through.

Edited by TexasHooch

Mother Jones with a small follow up to there big story last week:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2023/02/george-santos-campaign-funds-donors-scandal/

According to Santos’ campaign filings with the Federal Election Commission, his recent campaign pulled in more than $45,000 from relatives who lived in Queens. This included a mail handler who gave more than $4,000, a painter who donated the maximum of $5,800, and a student who also contributed $5,800. One of Santos’ relatives, who was recorded as giving $5,800, says that they did not make any donation to Santos.  

On Tuesday, a Mother Jones reporter visited the Queens home of this relative. Informed that two donations of $2,900 each were listed under this person’s name and address in Santos’ campaign finance reports, the relative, who asked not to be identified, said, “I’m dumbfounded.” The relative had no idea where the money for these donations came from and remarked, “It’s all news to me.” This person added,  “I don’t have that money to throw around!”

On another note, word is that the reason Santos was pressured off his committees is that the Republicans intend to push Ilan Omar off of hers, but they know that the already slim chance of success  will be virtually impossible if George is still sitting on committees.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:19 AM, YGIFS said:

Yeah, another fun head scratcher for MAGA nation was learning that the single most important step a POTUS can take to help insure the safety and welfare of the American people is to intake the PDB.  Every morning, anywhere in the world, via any medium, Natl Sec Adv/DNI/CIA/Joint Chiefs can all deliver the POTUS the most up-to-the-minute intel on any possible harms to the U.S. and its assets and allies.  President's have been receiving it in some incarnation since FDR, and in its current format since JFK.  

so much of what Trump did or didn't do can't be a slam-dunk prosecution simply because nobody ever thought to write down a law about it because doing so would have raised so many red flags.  "The President cannot physically remove classified nuclear secrets from the White House after leaving office to be stored in unsecure hotels for the purpose of selling to foreign nations."  Well yeah, you submit that law onto the books, a lot of high-up people are gonna ask a lotta tough questions.  

Same thing with Santos.  His defenders say, "It doesn't matter.  There's no campaign law that says you can't say you're a 5'10" volleyball player at Baruch College or NYU."  Well technically, that's true.  Because nobody would ever think to write that fucking law.  

Someone ought to have thought to make it a crime to fraudulently induce voters into voting for you with copious blatant lies about your background. 

14 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

OK.  It took me 3 attempts (and not because it's long)  but I made it through his OAN interview.

https://www.oann.com/video/oan-contribution/oan-exclusive-caitlin-sinclair-sits-down-with-rep-george-santos/

This guy is something else. The level of victimhood, masked as accountability, here is truly remarkable.  

The total absence of shame is just remarkable. Nobody who's ever spewed bullshit on the level he does has been anywhere near this terrible at it. He sucks goat ass at using rhetoric, spin, and deflection. He's an absolute zero point zero. 

I'm late to the party on this topic, as usual, so forgive me if this has already been covered.  I've read up some on this guy's background.  It looks to me like he was a nobody and then all of a sudden he has money to finance a campaign.  So my question is, where did he get the money and how on earth did he get elected?

2 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I'm late to the party on this topic, as usual, so forgive me if this has already been covered.  I've read up some on this guy's background.  It looks to me like he was a nobody and then all of a sudden he has money to finance a campaign.  So my question is, where did he get the money and how on earth did he get elected?

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

You ask too many questions comrade.

Is there not even any speculation?  I mean the whole thing is just bizarre.  Living with his mom, dressing as a drag queen at Carnival (NTTAWWT), short work history for "investment firms" and *boom* he's wealthy and funding his campaign with hundreds of thousands of dollars from a company that is very short-lived and its publicly available financials do not comport with throwing off that amount of wealth.  Oh, and he's a gay Republican, which is sort of like being a black KKK member. None of it makes sense.  Maybe some kind of Manchurian Candidate type shit?

• Hook 'Em 1

Is there not even any speculation?  I mean the whole thing is just bizarre.  Living with his mom, dressing as a drag queen at Carnival (NTTAWWT), short work history for "investment firms" and *boom* he's wealthy and funding his campaign with hundreds of thousands of dollars from a company that is very short-lived and its publicly available financials do not comport with throwing off that amount of wealth.  Oh, and he's a gay Republican, which is sort of like being a black KKK member. None of it makes sense.  Maybe some kind of Manchurian Candidate type shit?

It’s a grift. Republicans are the easiest to fool (because they are mostly dumbasses).
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

It’s a grift. Republicans are the easiest to fool (because they are mostly dumbasses).

I think it's more sinister than that.  I think the ruskies have bought and/or blackmailed a shit ton of Republican politicians (Trump/Graham/Santos, etc.) and conservative commentators (Tucker).  And maybe Elon Musk too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3