If You Were Booking An Act...

ROFL BOX

Parameters:

• Memorial Day Weekend 2023 (Friday AND possibly a Saturday night... maybe one band for Friday & another for Saturday - def. not the same band back to back).
  • Venue can seat up to 4,500.
  • Artist / Act needs to supply their own PA / lights (current sound situation sucks).
  • Venue is in Central Texas.
  • "Green Room" will be a reasonably nice 30 ft. camper with slide(s).  Artist / act can supply their own bus if preferred.
    "NORMAL" contract riders provided (food, drink, etc + possible meet & greet spaces, security, etc)
  • Funds raised are for a 501©3.
  • Booking fee would hopefully be $ 25,000.00 or less.
Looking for suggestions on an act that will put butts in seats but not break the bank.  I already know of 2 groups & prices will range for them anywhere from $ 25,000.00 to +$ 50,000.00; one of them already priced is a somewhat well known cover band, the other is a somewhat up & coming but still national touring group with all originals & the occasional cover (filling time is not needed, those covers are for esoteric / fun close the show uses)... for the 2nd, think where the Randy Rogers Band was maybe 10 years ago.
Discuss.

Led Zeppelin of course.

I think the biggest hurdle will be getting a band in that price bracket who legitimately have good enough sound reinforcement for that size venue and their own soundman to run it. Is it possibly to contract out that part to a sound reinforcement operation?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Led Zeppelin of course.

I think the biggest hurdle will be getting a band in that price bracket who legitimately have good enough sound reinforcement for that size venue and their own soundman to run it. Is it possibly to contract out that part to a sound reinforcement operation?

Most bands in the Central Texas area (that I know of) would prefer to bring their own board / sound engineer, especially for a venue with potentially sketchy acoustics.  The "local but well known" band does come equippped with their own intact sound person for that listed price.

*Bring me a Ouija board, some hair from Jason Bonham & 5 tall candles - maybe we CAN get Led Zep.  I think Robert Plant would be somewhat easy to lure back to the Austin area; I did once see him in the "nuts / bolts / screws" aisle of the Home Depot on Brodie Lane... maybe I can find a mud shark as bait?

Just because I saw them at a corporate gig recently
https://thebluebonnets.net/
But what's their following?  Prior to your post, I had never heard of them (AND, based on the name I was assuming it was a C&W band with a tilt towards traditional Texas swing... not a "glam / garage / blues band".)
I am also curious as to what Jimmy Vaughan & the Tilt-A-Whirl Band might cost & again - would he pull the crowd?

ADDENDUM:  This act / artist would be AFTER a primary "other" event... not the MAIN attraction, but a definite pull & "another reason to attend", etc.

2 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Most bands in the Central Texas area (that I know of) would prefer to bring their own board / sound engineer, especially for a venue with potentially sketchy acoustics.  The "local but well known" band does come equippped with their own intact sound person for that listed price.

Yeah I don't doubt this, but I would verify their capabilities. Quality venues a third of that size typically have better sound reinforcement than plenty of national acts. I mean any given band may have enough, or be on the ball enough to rent the appropriate amount for the gig, but I just advise caution you don't get caught out. Doubly so because of the venues flaws which make it trickier.

Would it make sense to look at the touring schedule for some acts you think would a fit and see if they have an off date while in Texas? It seems like it’d be easier and more cost effective for a band that is already touring than for a band that would have to get everything organized for a one off gig.

If so, maybe look at venue calendars for the same week in the major Texas cities for bands you think are a fit. You can then check their surrounding dates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

I already know of 2 groups & prices will range for them anywhere from $ 25,000.00 to +$ 50,000.00; one of them already priced is a somewhat well known cover band,

So Skyrocket?

I have a buddy who works in that world, straddling management, booking, product marketing (formerly Yeti), etc.  I can ask what $25K would buy in Austin with sound system.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

Parameters:

• Memorial Day Weekend 2023 (Friday AND possibly a Saturday night... maybe one band for Friday & another for Saturday - def. not the same band back to back).
  • Venue can seat up to 4,500.
  • Artist / Act needs to supply their own PA / lights (current sound situation sucks).
  • Venue is in Central Texas.
  • "Green Room" will be a reasonably nice 30 ft. camper with slide(s).  Artist / act can supply their own bus if preferred.
    "NORMAL" contract riders provided (food, drink, etc + possible meet & greet spaces, security, etc)
  • Funds raised are for a 501©3.
  • Booking fee would hopefully be $ 25,000.00 or less.

Looking for suggestions on an act that will put butts in seats but not break the bank.  I already know of 2 groups & prices will range for them anywhere from $ 25,000.00 to +$ 50,000.00; one of them already priced is a somewhat well known cover band, the other is a somewhat up & coming but still national touring group with all originals & the occasional cover (filling time is not needed, those covers are for esoteric / fun close the show uses)... for the 2nd, think where the Randy Rogers Band was maybe 10 years ago.
Discuss.

$25-50K for a cover band sounds like a fucking ripoff.

Looking at various lists, you could potentially get some really solid touring bands for that.

What kind of music?

What is the prior/other event they'd be playing after?

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Would it make sense to look at the touring schedule for some acts you think would a fit and see if they have an off date while in Texas? It seems like it’d be easier and more cost effective for a band that is already touring than for a band that would have to get everything organized for a one off gig.

If so, maybe look at venue calendars for the same week in the major Texas cities for bands you think are a fit. You can then check their surrounding dates.

Yes, that WOULD make sense.
But I need names first.  Bands / artist that would fit the criteria of getting people interested.

- Will most likely attend the event & the band is an added bonus.
- Will be interested in the band / artist & the event is an added bonus.

Not looking for anything like GWAR or Ghost, not looking for Barney, the Purple Dinosaur... even if that would get attendance.

Just now, Tylerocks said:

$25-50K for a cover band sounds like a fucking ripoff.

Looking at various lists, you could potentially get some really solid touring bands for that.

When supplying their own backline, lights, board, etc.?  100% accurate pricing.  Again, this is about getting tickets sold.

So Skyrocket?
I have a buddy who works in that world, straddling management, booking, product marketing (formerly Yeti), etc.  I can ask what $25K would buy in Austin with sound system.
Either ask for input or maybe provide my contact info.  YES, that would be a definite assist.

I don't think Crayon is on Shag² any longer - he might be a good resource for info or suggestions (thinking Cowbell is no mas & knowing he is currently with "Chandler & the Bings").

You can book Pepper for $50k.  Don’t know what your target audience is but that seems like a better deal than $75k for Kelli Pickler.  In that range 38 special would be my go to.  Check out celebritytalent.net and you can see what the going rate is for different acts.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Was recently at an event where the Fabulous Equinox performed. They are a modern “big band” group with a vocalist that covers many genres.

They are out of Georgia with some Louisiana ties.

Yes, that's a good idea.  I'm sure The Fabulous Equinox will fill a 4,500 seat venue in central Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’ll do it for $7500* for our duo.

Or $10 grand if you want me to scrape together some surlyites for a full band.

*Normally we get $500 for a private gig so the $7500 might be negotiable.

Let me play drums, there's no limit to how much they would pay us to stop.

You can book Pepper for $50k.  Don’t know what your target audience is but that seems like a better deal than $75k for Kelli Pickler.  In that range 38 special would be my go to.  Check out celebritytalent.net and you can see what the going rate is for different acts.  
I was in contact with someone from their office & we spoke on the phone for a bit (filled out form via their site, got a call back).
This is what they sent & I responded asking for some price ranges on ALL of those acts / talent (didn't ask for a $$ on each one, did ask for "what's the low to high for that entire bunch?") plus I have info from a local bar band friend re: sound person & probable PA rental.  The local bar band friend also has some contacts with Kin Faux & he will get that over to me as well.
I responded that in the Austin area, there is not going to be a problem with a board & PA / light rental from a local vendor.
image.png.aafac86627804fcc8fcf8dafc723a087.png

Blackberry Smoke 100%, but the drummer has had health issues lately I hear. That are fantastic though.

Is anyone in Diamond Rio left from the actual band?

I am not surprised about the PA comment, that has been my experience with most under stadium sized acts.

Edited by G650