RIP Terry Hall of The Specials

Celery Man

Dead after a “brief illlness”.

https://pitchfork.com/news/terry-hall-lead-singer-of-the-specials-dies-at-63/

I’m much too young to have appreciated them during their time, but as a band nerd of a certain vintage this is the kind of shit I was always trying to track down on Napster, and I still love that two tone ska. Rest in peace.

• Hook 'Em 3

Wow.  No replies.  If memory serves, and it's not serving well lately, one of us siblings got the More Specials album and we listened to it the first Christmas I got back from college.  Enjoy yourself was an immediate favorite.  Rat Race and Rich Girl had more staying power.

The Specials morphed into English Beat which morphed into Fine Young Cannibals by the time I was scurrying to figure out what to do post undergrad.

This music didn't enthrall me but it was certainly a big part of that era.  A good version of what ultimately was my favorite of their tunes:

This was fun stuff that I never truly connected to -- I don't think it seemed to try or give a damn.  Other than maybe to free Nelson Mandela.

Saw them years ago.  Great band and Terry Hall was fun.  Played the hell out of their music in my younger days and still do.  Hard to pick just one song but always loved It's Up to You.  But there's too many to list and the order is perfect, so just enjoy the ride all the way through:

Ending with You're Wondering Now is a hell of a bummer though.  RIP Terry.  I'm going to be sad for awhile now and play this shit some more. 

Edited by Mdhorn