10,000 burpees in 2023

As I recently posted in the Dominant Fatass thread, I would once again like to do the 10,000 burpees in a year thing that we did at the old place a number of years ago.

I find the accountability (and commiseration/schadenfreude) helpful in staying on task, but I am a complete disaster at spreadsheets, so I figured I'd start a new thread in the hopes of getting more people to sign up and hopefully it also attracts someone who can easily whip up the Google Sheets so we can all keep tabs on our progress, etc. 

Anyone? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

i'm considering trying this and seeing if I can even do it, never having done a burpee. 30 a day? i keep waiting for father time to catch up with me, I know he's coming

I had to work my way up to 30 (I think even less than this at first, but 3 sets of 10 for the first month or two?) the last time around, and I'm only marginally less fat and out of shape right now. So I fully expect an extra unpleasant first month or so. 

But if history is any indication (and it probably isn't, given our inexorable march towards death...) then unfattening and getting my act together for a while will buy me another 5ish years to regain all that lost weight again... 

Edit - started at 3 sets of 10, not 10 sets of 3, but who's counting??? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

we talking this ?

funny-burpees.gif

Not exactly, though of course you're free to do whatever you want. 

1. Body flat on floor 

2. Push up

3. Bring feet up like your .gif guy 

4. Jump up with hands over your head

5. Kick feet backwards like step #3 in reverse to end in upright push up position 

6. Lower body flat to floor 

That's one burpee, which burns approximately one calorie. 

15 minutes ago, danhorn111 said:

Interested.  But after getting into the numbers this is not going to be easy.  If you do burpees on only 300 days which is still pretty much 6 days a week - you need to do 34 a day to get to 10,000.  34 burpees right now would waste me.

At 30 per day (which is pretty manageable once you've been at it a while - the initial adjustment/acclimation definitely sucks ass though) you basically have a full month of days you can skip without having to make any up. 

And towards the middle and end of the year, even the most worthless fat fucks among us will be capable of adding a few each day to have a little reserve. 

• Like 1

Not exactly, though of course you're free to do whatever you want. 
1. Body flat on floor 
2. Push up
3. Bring feet up like your .gif guy 
4. Jump up with hands over your head
5. Kick feet backwards like step #3 in reverse to end in upright push up position 
6. Lower body flat to floor 
That's one burpee, which burns approximately one calorie. 
That sounds exhausting........I'm in.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t currently do them everyday but when I do, it’s 3 sets of 10 or 2 sets of 15.  Sometimes I’ll do the first two sets before whatever real workout I’m doing and the third set later.  I don’t think I’d go from couch potato to 30 a day, but if you’re already doing them in addition to a more robust workout of some sort it shouldn’t be too much shock to move from say 3 days a week to 6.  

It sounds terrible, but It’s 30-34 a day depending on who you ask and how many days you do it a week.  I’m in.  Don’t listen to @Your Mom that is like “I do that occasionally as a warmup but I wouldn’t try that if I didn’t workout like crazy already”  GTFOH. And your high horse talk.  Even the huge fatties of surly can do 30 or so in a day if they are under 50 and not terribly fat and planned it out throughout every day of the year and actually.  (Now If someone has a heart attack I am not to blame)

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, DaysOff said:

The risk reward for the average surly athlete doing burpees isn't worth it. You're going to injure something doing 10000 of those.

Can confirm.

I knew this going into the last challenge we did. Shoulder held up for about 6 weeks.

I kinda wanna do it again, because I'm older and fatter and need a kick in the ass.  F these shoulders.

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

It sounds terrible, but It’s 30-34 a day depending on who you ask and how many days you do it a week.  I’m in.  Don’t listen to @Your Mom that is like “I do that occasionally as a warmup but I wouldn’t try that if I didn’t workout like crazy already”  GTFOH. And your high horse talk.  Even the huge fatties of surly can do 30 or so in a day if they are under 50 and not terribly fat and planned it out throughout every day of the year and actually.  (Now If someone has a heart attack I am not to blame)

I think you’re inferring a little much there. I’m a 50 year old dude who rides a bike a couple times a week and   lifts just enough dumbbells in hotel gyms to slow the beer gut growth.  The reason I split it up isn’t for a warm-up, it’s because I can’t do 30 all at once.  

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, futureman said:

don’t forget you can build up to it.  doesn’t have to be 30/day from Jan 1st.  if you’re in any amount of decent shape by October 100/day isn’t that difficult. 

Absolutely. 

However, this is also why I really hope that someone who isn't a complete dipshit with spreadsheets (like I am...) can set up a shared document for us all to help keep track of our progress, keep on pace, have some "public" accountability to each other, etc. 

7 hours ago, futureman said:

don’t forget you can build up to it.  doesn’t have to be 30/day from Jan 1st.  if you’re in any amount of decent shape by October 100/day isn’t that difficult. 

Yep no reason to go from nothing to 30 a day starting Jan 1, keep a log and add more on the next few months to make up for it 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2022 at 7:46 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

As I recently posted in the Dominant Fatass thread, I would once again like to do the 10,000 burpees in a year thing that we did at the old place a number of years ago.

I find the accountability (and commiseration/schadenfreude) helpful in staying on task, but I am a complete disaster at spreadsheets, so I figured I'd start a new thread in the hopes of getting more people to sign up and hopefully it also attracts someone who can easily whip up the Google Sheets so we can all keep tabs on our progress, etc. 

Anyone? 

i don't know if I could do 1......might need EMS on standby 

full-metal-jacket-private-pyle.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I ran 20 miles today. Marathon training is officially over the final hurdle. First Marathon will be the Houston Marathon on Jan 15. 

@Prepuce of Doom this be the Surly Fatass thread of dominance for 2024?

I haven't really participated in the other Dominant Fatass threads, and I would probably prefer to keep this one separate since it's got such a narrow focus. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Here is my weight from the start of the last time we did this until today. I bet you can spot March 2020...

I would like to lose 20-25 pounds this year, from 192 to 167-172ish. I will also be using the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of my food as best as I can. I found that very helpful last time around, too. 

Screenshot_20221231_090628.thumb.jpg.bba6c6e6a794a1a229ad73b42a4c043c.jpg

I was walking briskly for about an hour total every day on my parking/train station and train station/office walks every day that I wasn't traveling for work. Now the extent of my exercise consists of walking quickly through airports while dragging my shit. 

~~~~~

For tomorrow, please remember that you don't have to do 30 a day right out of the gate. You can easily make up the difference later on once you get up to speed.

This is a marathon, not a sprint, so just work your way up as you feel comfortable at your own pace. I'm going to start out doing 3-5 at a time and maybe 2-3 sets a day to start with, I think. I may adjust that upward or downward depending on how things go. 

And again, if we have any spreadsheet jockeys in the group who want to set up a shared file we can all use to keep track our individual and collective progress, that will make things super smooth. 

Let's kick some burpee ass, ladies and germs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Here is my weight from the start of the last time we did this until today. I bet you can spot March 2020...

I would like to lose 20-25 pounds this year, from 192 to 167-172ish. I will also be using the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of my food as best as I can. I found that very helpful last time around, too. 

Screenshot_20221231_090628.thumb.jpg.bba6c6e6a794a1a229ad73b42a4c043c.jpg

I was walking briskly for about an hour total every day on my parking/train station and train station/office walks every day that I wasn't traveling for work. Now the extent of my exercise consists of walking quickly through airports while dragging my shit. 

~~~~~

For tomorrow, please remember that you don't have to do 30 a day right out of the gate. You can easily make up the difference later on once you get up to speed.

This is a marathon, not a sprint, so just work your way up as you feel comfortable at your own pace. I'm going to start out doing 3-5 at a time and maybe 2-3 sets a day to start with, I think. I may adjust that upward or downward depending on how things go. 

And again, if we have any spreadsheet jockeys in the group who want to set up a shared file we can all use to keep track our individual and collective progress, that will make things super smooth. 

Let's kick some burpee ass, ladies and germs. 

Leslie Nielsen Good Luck GIF by filmeditor

On 12/21/2022 at 1:05 PM, danhorn111 said:

Interested.  But after getting into the numbers this is not going to be easy.  If you do burpees on only 300 days which is still pretty much 6 days a week - you need to do 34 a day to get to 10,000.  34 burpees right now would waste me.

angry marlon brando GIF

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

do we have a tracking sheet yet?

It would take me 10 hours and the first person to use it would find a crippling flaw, so it's in all of our best interests for me not to try to be the hero by creating one. 

But it really would be very much appreciated and very helpful for all of us (both individually in tracking our own progress, but also collectively as we try to encourage each other, keep ourselves accountable to the rest of the group as we all eat shit together, etc.) so if someone else is able to do that, I would be extremely grateful. 

I may still have access to the Google Sheet from the last time around, but I wouldn't even know how to import/export/use as a format template/share it with the new group, etc.