10,000 burpees in 2023

Just did 3 sets of 10 in my living room

My very helpful 11 year old said in the middle of them "Dad I can see your buttcrack."

And then, immediately after I completed the last set, my very helpful 9 year old thought it would be a good idea to sit on my back as I am lying down in recovery completely out of breath.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

OK, try this link just for fun: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JCyrVkOLzm06n7my0o7e3s4zFqxGfyRC0J7PCbAJ-Gw/edit?usp=sharing

When you click it, it should say "gno." But then you should have the option to request access. Then I'll give you access. Then it should say "yedd."

It's super duper basic right now, just a sheet to enter our totals for each day. I'll make it fancier later. Dates go down, dudes go right, so add yourself to a column and type in today's total. 

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

OK, try this link just for fun: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JCyrVkOLzm06n7my0o7e3s4zFqxGfyRC0J7PCbAJ-Gw/edit?usp=sharing

When you click it, it should say "gno." But then you should have the option to request access. Then I'll give you access. Then it should say "yedd."

It's super duper basic right now, just a sheet to enter our totals for each day. I'll make it fancier later. Dates go down, dudes go right, so add yourself to a column and type in today's total. 

Thanks! 

I have signed up and you have granted me access. Not sure what other bells and whistles you have in mind, but @UT_OB1 is also working on an updated version of the sheet we used last time around - perhaps you two can coordinate somehow so that nobody duplicates efforts, etc.? 

For any possible sorting, cumulative entries, etc., might it make more sense to have people take the rows rather than the columns? But once again, I don't know what the hell I'm doing with spreadsheets, and I definitely appreciate whatever we end up using for this, regardless of fanciness and formatting! 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Thanks! 

I have signed up and you have granted me access. Not sure what other bells and whistles you have in mind, but @UT_OB1 is also working on an updated version of the sheet we used last time around - perhaps you two can coordinate somehow so that nobody duplicates efforts, etc.? 

For any possible sorting, cumulative entries, etc., might it make more sense to have people take the rows rather than the columns? But once again, I don't know what the hell I'm doing with spreadsheets, and I definitely appreciate whatever we end up using for this, regardless of fanciness and formatting! 

I figured there'd be more dates than dudes, so I put it that way. We can create a separate sheet for a stat sheet or whatever. Or, just use @UT_OB1's sheet. I just have to make sure I track mine somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I figured there'd be more dates than dudes, so I put it that way. We can create a separate sheet for a stat sheet or whatever. Or, just use @UT_OB1's sheet. I just have to make sure I track mine somewhere.

Right on on all counts! 

And yes, I also need a record, data I can look at and feel good (or bad) about, and some accountability to the group to be at my most effective... 

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

forgot about this and have done no prep at all, but just did 10 probably horrible burpees. Weirdly i'm feeling it a bit in my shoulders, probably poor technique. Or weak ass shoulders.

I wonder about proper technique for us old fuckers. 

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:
Edited by Kennythetiger
Derp

Upper body was pretty sore today so the push-up part was a little more difficult than yesterday. I’ve only been doing peloton bike workouts lately so no upper body strength.

Waiting to crank out the 30 after my hangover was gone was a much better move instead doing it while hungover yesterday.

Any recommendations on any quick upper body workouts? What happens is when I start getting busy with traveling I stop being consistent with the peloton app workouts and eventually end up taking a month or two off before trying to get back into it. I want something I can pair with the burpees and keep that as a basic routine that I’ll have no excuse not to do. I’d prefer it to not involve weights, but maybe resistance bands as those are easy to pack and travel with?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2023 at 3:23 PM, TTU13 said:

Upper body was pretty sore today so the push-up part was a little more difficult than yesterday. I’ve only been doing peloton bike workouts lately so no upper body strength.

Waiting to crank out the 30 after my hangover was gone was a much better move instead doing it while hungover yesterday.

Any recommendations on any quick upper body workouts? What happens is when I start getting busy with traveling I stop being consistent with the peloton app workouts and eventually end up taking a month or two off before trying to get back into it. I want something I can pair with the burpees and keep that as a basic routine that I’ll have no excuse not to do. I’d prefer it to not involve weights, but maybe resistance bands as those are easy to pack and travel with?

Despite having started this thread, I know nothing about this topic, proper form, age-related precautions, etc. But hopefully there's someone who does and can help. 

I'm more sore today than I was yesterday. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Officially at the 1% mark! 

I ate like a fucking pig from the week before Thanksgiving until NYE (and really stood on the gas once I decided in mid-December that I was going to get my shit together this year), and I understand that there's a lot of fluctuations, but I'm surprised by how quickly and easily the first few pounds have come off. 

Screenshot_20230104_100719.thumb.jpg.39007c5dabab0b530be699370cc18310.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Officially at the 1% mark! 

I ate like a fucking pig from the week before Thanksgiving until NYE (and really stood on the gas once I decided in mid-December that I was going to get my shit together this year), and I understand that there's a lot of fluctuations, but I'm surprised by how quickly and easily the first few pounds have come off. 

Screenshot_20230104_100719.thumb.jpg.39007c5dabab0b530be699370cc18310.jpg

what’s the weight tracker app you’re using?

42 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

what’s the weight tracker app you’re using?

I use both MyFitnessPal to track food, weight, and exercise, and I have a Bluetooth-enabled iHealth scale, which is what the above screencap is from. I don't necessarily recommend my scale though - very temperamental with respect to where it happens to be located on a tile floor (I have to be extremely precise in consistently placing it in the exact same location, otherwise there's like a +/- 3-4 lb. margin of error, so it's entirely possible that some of my "progress" is illusory) and you have to have your phone in the bathroom and the app open in order for it to communicate your weight.

I had an older model that got ruined when our basement flodded that was much better in every regard - better calibration, far less finicky, and it would upload all measurements to the cloud via WiFi and then your app would automatically populate with the data the next time you opened it. But they quit making the good one and jacked up the price for this comparatively lousier one. But I'm lazy and I respond to visible charts of my progress, etc., so I continue to tolerate it... 

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

I’m already behind the eight ball on getting started because the Covid fairy paid me a visit on New Year’s Day.  Hope to get going this weekend.  

Don't worry. I haven't done 30 burpees in a day yet... and only 10 the last couple of days.

But... I'm out of shape and old. I expect that... as time goes by... I'll get better at this.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Don't worry. I haven't done 30 burpees in a day yet... and only 10 the last couple of days.

But... I'm out of shape and old. I expect that... as time goes by... I'll get better at this.

The worst day of bootcamp so far included 100 burpees on top of everything else.  I almost died and certainly did not have good form on the last 30 or so.

Don't sweat the fact that you are a little behind schedule right now - we're 4 days into the year. You have plenty of time to continue going at your own pace, and you will eventually be able to easily add 5-10 or more to your daily routine once you get into the groove.

Plus, you have the equivalent of 31 days to do absolutely nothing and still be on pace. 

Don't overdo it - marathon, not sprint... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you're only doing 15 per day in January, you will need to do ~29/day for the rest  of the year.  The overall year pace is 27/day so as long as you doing something in January, you won't fall too far behind.

You can also do 45/50/60 every so often once you are in the groove (and you'll get there eventually, believe it or not), and that will give you more cushion to take a day off here and there when you need to. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Had my first extravagant work dinner of the year tonight (Brennan's) - managed to eat slightly less than I normally would have, but still very much a win/lose situation... 

Likely won't have time to do any extras tomorrow, but I think that I will tack on a few extras over the weekend as a meaningless but symbol penance... 

• Like 1

My goal is to start upping the workout around the burpees and the burpee count every couple days.

The last two days I knocked out the 30 in 2 sets of 15 (as opposed to smaller set counts) and have been adding in curls. The last 2 days I did 30 reps an arm after the burpees of bicep curls with 20 pound weights.

It’s crazy how each day I’m less sore as I’ve been increasing the “strain”.

Next week I’m going to work on continuing upping the above and adding in peloton rides again and add kettle bell lifts to the above curls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Had my first extravagant work dinner of the year tonight (Brennan's) - managed to eat slightly less than I normally would have, but still very much a win/lose situation... 
Likely won't have time to do any extras tomorrow, but I think that I will tack on a few extras over the weekend as a meaningless but symbol penance... 

This is what concerns me and trying to build the habit now before work events and travel pick up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TTU13 said:

My goal is to start upping the workout around the burpees and the burpee count every couple days.

The last two days I knocked out the 30 in 2 sets of 15 (as opposed to smaller set counts) and have been adding in curls. The last 2 days I did 30 reps an arm after the burpees of bicep curls with 20 pound weights.

It’s crazy how each day I’m less sore as I’ve been increasing the “strain”.

Next week I’m going to work on continuing upping the above and adding in peloton rides again and add kettle bell lifts to the above curls.

yeah I did 10 only on the first day and have been trying to do a set of 15 in the morning and one in the evening since then. I fucking forgot about the second set last night so I did 20 this morning, and that felt like when I did 10 previously (barely getting the last one out, gasping on the floor for a couple minutes). I'd like to get to where I can bump out 30 and it's a workout but no big deal, will see how that goes.

It was a spur of the moment "why the fuck not" to even respond to the idea of this initially - I've fluctuated a bit in weight but I've always been "not fat but I don't want to take my shirt off". My general fitness goal for several years has been "don't fall off the cliff and become fat". But this year I'm doing this for shits and giggles and picking up cycling because I've wanted to for a minute and finally got a bike. I've been doing 5-6 mile rides most days this year so far, hoping to do that 3-4 times a week through the year maybe increasing the distance and often towing a trailer with a toddler in it.

Anyways, I haven't done any physical training in forever, it is interesting to just be a bit rubbery for a prolonged time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Non Covid sinus infection, head cold, or whatever is kicking my ass right now. Taking a couple days off and will catch up later.  I’d like to generally stay ahead of the average needed so I have a bigger bank of days available when I inevitably hurt something later in the year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah WTF on 20 a minute or doing them for 20 minutes straight. Granted I go a little slow but 10 proper burpees with the push-up in the middle takes me almost a full minute. And 10 is about my max for a set. I could do 20 if my life depended on it but not much more.  There is zero chance I could burpee nonstop for more than 2 or 3 minutes straight. 

For straight calorie burn I think 20 minutes spent in the gym would be way better than burpees.  Simply because I’d spend most of the last 18 minutes or so unable to do anything from the exhaustion. To me it’s like sprinting. Good for you in small doses. 

I should hop on a scale. I think regular cardio will help with weight loss but it’s mostly what and how much you’re putting in your mouth.

My push up game mid burpee is weak but getting better. This feels like more of a strength thing. Hopefully it helps with back strength at least a little - that’s what I should really be working on.

• Hook 'Em 1