10,000 burpees in 2023

After the initial struggles of being incredibly sore and doing these while hunger over, it’s definitely getting much easier.

No more hip, shoulder, ankle, etc pops.

If you don’t own a massage gun, highly recommend it. I’ve been adding in bicep curls, squats and shoulder work and the daily soreness is marginal compared to a week ago.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I fell behind the last few days because of being on jury duty... doesn't seem like a good idea to be doing burpees from the jury box... or anywhere around the courthouse, really, and I've been too exhausted by day's end to do anything else.

But I'll get back on this carnival ride soon. Case is over, for one thing.

I now recall this being an issue back when we did this the last time, but I have been traveling for work the past three nights, and when I do my burpees on the carpeted floor of a hotel room, I sometimes find that my big toe hurts right at the bottom joint, almost like what I assume turf toe might feel like.  It persists even after I'm done with burping. 

I do my burpees barefoot (wore holes in a lot of socks early on last time...) and I also notice that sometimes my toenails will sort poke or gouge the neighboring toe. 

Neither of these things happen when I am at home on thicker carpet with substantial padding underneath, or in any other context, for that matter. 

Have any other work travelers happened to notice either of these phenomenon? 

I now recall this being an issue back when we did this the last time, but I have been traveling for work the past three nights, and when I do my burpees on the carpeted floor of a hotel room, I sometimes find that my big toe hurts right at the bottom joint, almost like what I assume turf toe might feel like.  It persists even after I'm done with burping. 
I do my burpees barefoot (wore holes in a lot of socks early on last time...) and I also notice that sometimes my toenails will sort poke or gouge the neighboring toe. 
Neither of these things happen when I am at home on thicker carpet with substantial padding underneath, or in any other context, for that matter. 

Short answer, yes. I adjust the width of my stance. Also, I change the burpee to a lay down / stand back up if things start to hurt.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Damn I couldn't find this thread until drunk tonight. I missed 3 days so far so adding those later. Routine is 20 minutes stretching and flexibility thing on YouTube in the AM, lunchtime walk/jog, evening burpees. It's going pretty damn good so far 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 3

Not yet.

I recommend doing them in the hotel gym. Doing sets of 10 and in between doing curls or something similar. Breaks it up enough plus the floor in the gym works well with shoes.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, danhorn111 said:

Yes, the difference between 10 and 15 is a lot more than just a few reps at this point!  I can get to about 12 and form breaks down.  Already a lot better than a few weeks ago though.  Let's keep it going boys -- I do appreciate the accountability!!

Same for me.  I usually pause after 10 for maybe 30 seconds or a minute, then finish the last 5.  I’m back on pace and going to try to get about 7-10 days ahead of schedule then pull back to 30 a day.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I find that if, after the third, I start thinking about how 3 = 20% of 15, I can distract myself with fractions enough to get to 9 without noticing.

It is slowly getting easier on the last 5. Doing 15 was always fairly quick, but I kinda dreaded it. Not as much now, and really i’m only flagging on the last one or two.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I find that if, after the third, I start thinking about how 3 = 20% of 15, I can distract myself with fractions enough to get to 9 without noticing.

It is slowly getting easier on the last 5. Doing 15 was always fairly quick, but I kinda dreaded it. Not as much now, and really i’m only flagging on the last one or two.

Same. Noting multiples of 3 and 5 makes 15 go by slightly quicker. 

7 hours ago, TTU13 said:

Plantar fasciitis sucks and completely derailed my progress. Hopefully a couple days of minimal use does the trick.

Yeah, that sucks. Try morning stretches before getting out of bed, and an array of these massage balls and shafts at your work desk. 

Screenshot_20230122-190634_Google.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Couple of these days, including today, I've let up on the burpees because I did so much physical activity other ways. Today was taking down the Christmas lights, digging a huge hole in the yard, changing and cleaning the turtle's water, chasing the cats to give them their flea meds, vacuuming my wool rugs so the moths don't eat em ... busy day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just a few days left in what will be the shittiest and most difficult month of the year as far as this whole experience goes. 

Don't fret and don't give up if you're off pace right now. Keep working your way up to it, continue making it a part of your daily routine, and eventually you'll get to the point where you can make up ground. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 7:33 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Just a few days left in what will be the shittiest and most difficult month of the year as far as this whole experience goes. 

Don't fret and don't give up if you're off pace right now. Keep working your way up to it, continue making it a part of your daily routine, and eventually you'll get to the point where you can make up ground. 

I don’t know if I’d say I can “breeze” through 15 of these now but I would say “not suffer” through a set of 15, and that’s definitely with a straighter body push-up and more of a spring to my jump than I was letting count in early January. From here, it seems like it would be easy to make up ground.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2023 at 7:52 AM, Celery Man said:

I do my 30 at one time, but after I hit 15 I start counting down instead of up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I completed my January burpees with a small positive balance to help with some February days where I likely won't do the full thirty.

I also did some math and if I do one extra burpee per day (31) I will complete my 10K goal on November 20 at which point I can quit this stupid contest and enjoy the holidays with my usual program of gluttony and drunkenness!

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

woot, passed the 1k mark.

I feel like my back is getting stronger. Really if I was putting together some sort of sensical strength building goal for the year instead of just casually agreeing to do 10,000 burpees at an internet cesspool it would be back strength focused. But I feel like this is doing some good there anyways.

I was running late wednesday morning and already had work clothes on by the time i remembered the burpees. So, I did my first fifteen in the early evening instead. Had to build in a couple of pauses to not smash the 22 month old running in front of me but then she started doing jumpy clappers next to me. Which then led to an extra round of burpees the next day so we could demonstrate to her mother.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

woot, passed the 1k mark.

I feel like my back. Really if I was putting together some sort of sensical strength building goal for the year instead of just casually agreeing to do 10,000 burpees at an internet cesspool it would be back strength focused. But I feel like this is doing some good there anyways.

I was running late wednesday morning and already had work clothes on by the time i remembered the burpees. So, I did my first fifteen in the early evening instead. Had to build in a couple of pauses to not smash the 22 month old running in front of me but then she started doing jumpy clappers next to me. Which then led to an extra round of burpees the next day so we could demonstrate to her mother.

Yeah, on whatever day I logged a number ending in 4, that was because I had to start over in light of how Doomlet thought it would be funny to sneakily park himself right behind me in the "kicking zone" and I clobbered him. Luckily no real injury other than my annoyance at his continued obliviousness to the physical parameters of living a three-dimensional lifestyle. 

• Hook 'Em 1