10,000 burpees in 2023

Well, I did nothing for 2 days on the weekend, and then on Monday I found I was able to do 30/day.

So I have realized something.

I'm not actually on a 30/day pace, yet. Because I need to give myself a couple of days to rest. Again, old.

I also may not be doing a perfect burpee. I start from a standing position, drop down to a crouch, kick my feet out, do a push up, bring the feet back in, then jump with my hands over my head... repeat. Might not quite be right.

or maybe it is.

this is more or less what I'm doin'

I’m back. I logged a bunch of zeroes during a camping trip, some early work days, tree clearing, etc…  Got back on it this week.  

I do them the way Rimbo described and I count on the jump. I will admit to sandbagging the jump sometimes. Toward the end of the set the jump becomes a half-hearted hop. 

• Hook 'Em 2

spent all week on kiawah island with a bunch of sales jabronis. very difficult to keep up when your whole routine is out the window and instead of retiring to your room for burpees and HBOMax as you planned you wind up being DD at some reality show bar while random middle aged colleagues get bottle service drunk and irritate the dj with requests for kid rock.

I start on the ground and count each time I hit the ground again. One thing that... is everyone really doing smooth jumping motions to go from push up to crouch? I mean I'm not crawling my way up, but hopping from push up to crouch is more intense than what I've been doing.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2023 at 7:36 AM, Celery Man said:

I'm not crawling my way up, but hopping from push up to crouch is more intense than what I've been doing.

I'm hopping. But I cheat as I wear out. I was cheating all of them when I started.

In other news, did 40 yesterday, a new single-day high for me. Having full days of rest every 2-3 days is critical; I don't recover as fast as I used to.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I took a few days off for the same reason, and it's tough to get back on the horse. 

Well, I went into this knowing I had an uphill battle because of my overall physical condition and age. It ain't over until Dec 31st, motherfuckers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Today's the first day I got some done since I fell ill. Yay!

In other news, I've added a graph. With trendlines.

image.thumb.png.756d3cc969b4596f9271b71e34735973.png

Prepuce, MBU and Celery Man are way ahead of pace. Great work!

Your Mom and TTU13 are a little bit behind, but not out of it yet. (hehehehehe i'm not out of your mom yet, neither hehehehe)

Me and Danhorn111 got some work to do. Looks like @danhorn111 may have quit tracking at some point. I'm just... behind. (hehehehe)

• Hook 'Em 2

See, you look at ol' @Message Board User in that one. Got off to a great start, but it's sloooooowly tapering off.

@Prepuce of Doom is tapering off too, but far too slowly to keep from getting the golden ring there.

Now @Celery Man, there's a drop-off. Should be on pace to win but NOOOOOO. Not with that rate of decline.

And there's me. Sure, I started out slow. Really slow, yeah. But I'm gettin' better. And other than being sick this week, I keep pushin' to get better. So there's that curve UP. Just like my dick.

Looks like I'm currently on pace to finish around the start of October. I should hit 2,000 tomorrow. 

I've had a few days just recently where I've been sick and I've skipped or done fewer than 60, but other than that, I'm doing them every night I am not traveling for work. 

I started off the year doing them on work trips through January (which is why it appears that I have dropped my pace since) but eventually quit doing them because the floors, padding, and carpets at hotels are all too variable and often tend to hurt my feet somehow, plus I'm just not too keen on being facedown on hotel room floors up to 60x a day (not to mention that I often don't have the time anyway) so I don't really do any while I'm on the road.

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m pretty good at coming up with stupid ideas and here’s one of them.

I’m going to try to max out today. Not necessarily to get caught up, more like punishing myself for getting so far behind the last couple weeks.  Sets of 10 scattered throughout the day. Seems like I never have a problem getting to 10, some days I can get to 20 ok, but most days 15 is right about where I lose steam.  So I’m gonna stick with sets of 10 today.  maybe in the second half of the day I’ll bring it down to 5.   Got 30 done before coffee was ready. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I started with sets of 10 for the first few days, but bumped it to 15 for most of January. I've been doing sets of 20 for most of February, and I don't feel like the last few are any easier right now than they were when I first made that change. I can't currently conceive of if or when I might ever bump my sets up to 25.

Left knee is getting a little "knnicky"* lately, so I'm going to dial back the overachieving a little bit here for a while, especially since I might have a fairly light work travel schedule over the next couple of weeks. 

*this is not a word, just how our family describes the noises associated with joint problems...

• Hook 'Em 1

Down 14.4 lbs: 192.9 on January 1st to 178.5 five minutes ago. 

I've got my My Fitness Plan settings configured for losing about a pound a week. At my height, weight, age, exercise level, and gender, I need to keep it under about 1600 calories a day to stay on that trajectory. 

Screenshot_20230301_080540_MyFitnessPal.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 4:28 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Left knee is getting a little "knnicky"* lately, so I'm going to dial back the overachieving a little bit here for a while, especially since I might have a fairly light work travel schedule over the next couple of weeks. 

*this is not a word, just how our family describes the noises associated with joint problems...

I think that I might be taking a brief break. This same type of knee pain (hurt around the kneecap when going up and down stairs) has been an on and off issue in the past, plus we're having a lot of inconsistent weather/pressure/temperatures here in Chicago right now, so I think that I might cool it for a week or so and just play it by ear. Glad I have some reserve built up, though the possibility hasn't escaped me that perhaps creating the reserve in the first place is what has caused the problem. 

Yesterday I discovered that I can do about 20 push-ups and 25 sit-ups in about a minute and a half, so two sets of those will have me exercising about as much time as 30 burpees takes me (~3 minutes). So I'm going to do that while my knee gets its shit together. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/1/2023 at 6:13 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Down 14.4 lbs: 192.9 on January 1st to 178.5 five minutes ago. 

I've got my My Fitness Plan settings configured for losing about a pound a week. At my height, weight, age, exercise level, and gender, I need to keep it under about 1600 calories a day to stay on that trajectory. 

Screenshot_20230301_080540_MyFitnessPal.jpg

Awesome.

I'm actually GAINING weight. I think I need to start running again alongside the burpees. And eat better.

But I'm out of it again, this time due to shingles. Fuck!

• Hook 'Em 1

Knee is better, shoulders are suddenly worse. 

Will probably dial it back considerably (30/day max, if that) for the next few weeks - less work travel on the immediate horizon than usual so less need to "bank" credit, and I'm beginning to suspect that my body doesn't appreciate this kind of treatment in my late 40s.

This shoulder situation has me a little bit concerned. 

The pain isn't excruciating or anything, but it is definitely more pronounced during certain kinds of movements - makes me wonder if perhaps there's a rotator cuff issue of some sort. 

I think that I am going to take a break from the burpees for a little bit to see if hopefully it's just a minor, temporary issue. It only surfaced a day or two ago, and it didn't seem/feel like much to worry about at first. And it's still only a nuisance, not a problem. 

This is disappointing to me. 

I am cautiously optimistic that I haven't caused permanent damage to either shoulder, as things feel like they're slowly improving during my self-imposed ban (just avoiding burpees and anything similarly strenuous to the shoulder, plus an Advil a night, and occasionally some Salonpas mentholated stickers). 

I've been doing sit-ups as a replacement activity, but they really don't scratch the same itch in terms of feeling like you actually accomplished something on account of not really feeling like absolute hammered shit afterwards. I can do 50 sit-ups during the same amount of time as 20 burpees takes me, but it's easy to forget to do them. 

I have my annual physical tomorrow and will ask my PCP about how long I should continue to recuperate, but I feel like about week or two is probably prudent. 

Had my annual physical yesterday and my PCP basically laughed at me with an "of course you did!" when I told him that I thought that I hurt my shoulder doing as many as 60 burpees a day. 

He suggested that I do something else instead ("burpees are awful - too hardcore!") or else that I limit myself to whatever I can accomplish in sets of 90 seconds because that's all he can handle in his pilates class. 

I didn't tell him about my pact with Internet friends... 

Things are getting better, but I'm still not at 100%, so I think I'm probably still out for another week or two just to be safe.

• Haha 1

i feel like this is the shittiest part - not halfway and counting down towards the finish line but no longer fresh and early, just kinda grueling through it. It's been a weird week for me - lots of late running mornings and sore backs and shit that have given me a few 0 and 15 burpee days. Missed my set this morning, I suppose I should go do it.

It's weird, I dread doing them a bit but they're just not that big of a deal. Seems like a mental thing more than anything.

• Hook 'Em 2