10,000 burpees in 2023

14 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm pretty much always at least a little bit hungry. I think about food even more often, too. And I probably thought about it more than average back before dieting, too. 

It's not easy.

I ate like a pig for the rest of last year after publicly committing to this. 

Screenshot_20230401_172708_Chrome.thumb.jpg.752c920a315662f219636aaf52c2bd59.jpg

Screenshot_20230401_170342_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.ad55a2b33db7160ab65bc3d358c05e18.jpg

If I’m reading this correctly, you’ve met your 15-20 pound goal for “next year.” Are you looking to maintain from here or re-evaluating the goal?

It’s nice seeing people progress. I’m still right on track to hit my goal of zero (0) burpees in 2023, but it’s a constant battle. I think I was targeting 2200 miles walked this year, instead. Right now, I’m on pace for slightly more than 3,000 but this is prime walking weather around here, so that’s likely to fall off at some point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If I’m reading this correctly, you’ve met your 15-20 pound goal for “next year.” Are you looking to maintain from here or re-evaluating the goal?

It’s nice seeing people progress. I’m still right on track to hit my goal of zero (0) burpees in 2023, but it’s a constant battle. I think I was targeting 2200 miles walked this year, instead. Right now, I’m on pace for slightly more than 3,000 but this is prime walking weather around here, so that’s likely to fall off at some point. 

I'm looking to plateau between 170 and 175, so I'm aiming to hit about 165 and maintain that for a little while as a new "baseline" before easing back a little. 

Here's how things worked out for me starting in January 2017. Slowly crept back up until COVID hit, at which point I actually lost a fair bit of weight at first. My Bluetooth-enabled scale got ruined when our basement flooded in May 2020, and I didn’t replace it for a few months (which is the abrupt, direct increase near the center of the graph). I also didn't weight myself daily in 2021 or 2022, thus the difference in the "density" of the plot line. 

I definitely feel a lot better when I'm under 180, so I'm going to be a little more immediately proactive if/when I eventually breach that threshold again. 

Screenshot_20230402_083125_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.daa4719e0ac5ab9f4bb9336ef266ae81.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Makes sense. I also am going to “overshoot” my goal by a little bit if for no other reason than when I increase my calories I’ll then have more food “in process” so my weight will go up a bit just because of that. 

That’s a really good start to the year. A lot of people do that then, like a pitcher who gets in a jam and works to get two outs then gives up a two out hit, they let up when they think they’ve finished. There’s no finish to this. I put on weight basically on purpose, but the scale still wants to screw with me. Once I get back into me 34” pants I’m going to stay there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m probably out. I haven’t gotten injured or anything but I wake up feeling like I have to move a little slow every day anyway, I can never just pop right out of bed and start knocking out burpees. I tend to wait until I’ve had coffee and moved around a little bit, get the kids off to school or whatever. By the time my body feels like it’s ready to do some Burpee’s I generally have forgotten about it.  

Often I remember at the end of the night that I hadn’t done them yet and there I am at 11pm knocking  them out  before I go to bed.  Other days, I’m feeling good and ready to knock them all out but I don’t want them interfere with my bike ride. 

I’m still doing them on days I go to the gym, but it won’t be nearly enough to make the 10K.  

If I wake up tomorrow morning, feeling like knocking out 30 when I jump out of bed, I may reconsider, but I’d have some serious catching up to do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I’m probably out. I haven’t gotten injured or anything but I wake up feeling like I have to move a little slow every day anyway, I can never just pop right out of bed and start knocking out burpees. I tend to wait until I’ve had coffee and moved around a little bit, get the kids off to school or whatever. By the time my body feels like it’s ready to do some Burpee’s I generally have forgotten about it.  

Often I remember at the end of the night that I hadn’t done them yet and there I am at 11pm knocking  them out  before I go to bed.  Other days, I’m feeling good and ready to knock them all out but I don’t want them interfere with my bike ride. 

I’m still doing them on days I go to the gym, but it won’t be nearly enough to make the 10K.  

If I wake up tomorrow morning, feeling like knocking out 30 when I jump out of bed, I may reconsider, but I’d have some serious catching up to do. 

You could always chill out for a while, take it easy and do them when you remember and are in the mood, and then just do ~7500 in December. That's only 250ish a day. 

• Haha 2

I'm basically waiting to heal up from just being sick all the time this month ... then I might do about ten a day or so.

I'm too old to do any more, but I really liked the results of that first month. I want to keep it in my regular exercise, but 30/day is more than my half-century-old body can take right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I'm basically waiting to heal up from just being sick all the time this month ... then I might do about ten a day or so.

I'm too old to do any more, but I really liked the results of that first month. I want to keep it in my regular exercise, but 30/day is more than my half-century-old body can take right now.

Yeah, it's been harder on me than expected as well. I like how these feel like such good "bang for your buck" exercise - this (and the last time we did this 6 or 7 years ago) is the only thing I've ever done that can be considered regular exercise. That's because I'm both lazy and busy, and don't want to spend my limited free time doing exercises or working out. 

I perversely enjoyed the days when I went over 30, but at this stage of my decrepitude, there's too much strain on my shoulders to overdo it like that. Maybe I'll eventually do two sets of 20, but for now, it's just two sets of 15 and then 50 situps just to compensate a little... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Shoulders still a little grouchy from time to time, so I took yesterday off. 

Having my monthly weigh-in on a Monday morning likely reads "artificially" high due to my tendency to drink a lot more water over the weekend. +2.4 lbs this morning...

Down 21.7 lbs for the year. 

Screenshot_20230501_085955_MyFitnessPal.jpg

Screenshot_20230501_085927_MyFitnessPal.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

My shoulders are giving me a bit more grief lately, and I'm starting to become a little concerned. Nothing is actually *painful* right now, but there's some mild discomfort here and there, even when not doing anything particularly intensive. It's mainly in the front of my shoulder. 

I am considering taking another break - I think that when things first flared up back in mid-March, I ignored this level of discomfort for too long and probably risked transforming mere injury/nuisance into actual damage. Obviously, I would prefer to continue with a normal, pain-free range of motion and level of capability for long after this undertaking. 

Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong, aside from being a rather unfit person deciding to do an arbitrary number of a specific and taxing exercise within a given time frame? 

My peloton success story is that I offered to buy my wife a peloton in order to cover buying an expensive guitar. But she wanted the peloton treadmill and then realized they stopped making it and I wound up getting out of it with a refurbed aeron chair and a les paul.

Speaking of les paul - nagging back soreness from sitting funny kept me out of it for a week, back at it again but I feel like I need to build up some cushion. Travelling this week so I'm going to try and stay on it.,

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

My peloton success story is that I offered to buy my wife a peloton in order to cover buying an expensive guitar. But she wanted the peloton treadmill and then realized they stopped making it and I wound up getting out of it with a refurbed aeron chair and a les paul.

Speaking of les paul - nagging back soreness from sitting funny kept me out of it for a week, back at it again but I feel like I need to build up some cushion. Travelling this week so I'm going to try and stay on it.,

FYI, they still make it.  

https://www.onepeloton.com/tread

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, WithoutAClue said:

May has been a struggle. I've blown through the cushion I'd built up. :(

June will be better, right?

347245629_761919435473808_11248729568694

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Was in Austin last week, did nothing. Going to start doing 40 a day to stay in front of it.

Don't overdo it chasing a cushion. I have finally come to the determination that two sets of 15 won't do any further damage to my shoulders, but trying to get greedy is a recipe for additional time off... 

• 2 weeks later...

Down 24.1 lbs. for the year so far. 

Lots of yoyo-ing in May. A few very lavish and gluttonous business dinners plus a few parties and family get togethers, plus eating gummies on the weekends (munchies, plus I drink a ton more water then), etc., so there's definitely a reasonable basis for so much up-and-down. Ideally, I'll plateau around the 165 mark and bounce up and down around that threshold for a while rather than at 170, but we'll see - the summer makes it more difficult to avoid pigging out... 

Screenshot_20230601_084601_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.bb15011c1b43bc658d3c65f7e31c7b16.jpg

Screenshot_20230601_085044_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.0980b053f9674351f39387fabd8cd785.jpg

Looks like we're down to about four ongoing/current participants in this particular daily self-abuse regimen.

Keep on keepin' on! 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Looks like we're down to about four ongoing/current participants in this particular daily self-abuse regimen.

Keep on keepin' on! 

I’m still in for zero (0) per day and I’m right on track. 

If my watch is to be believed, today I’ll go over 1570 miles walked this year, on pace for 3760, but my motivation to maintain this pace once it gets cold is likely to be very low. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I could be flying too close to the sun here, but I did some rough math, and with the amount of work and vacation travel I have coming up this summer, I'm in grave danger of burning through all of my existing cushion if I don't start making some extra deposits to the bank. 

So I'm hoping my shoulders can handle two sets of 20 rather than two sets of 15. I was doing three sets of 20 back when I hurt my shoulders, but I am 12-15 lbs. lighter now than when I had to take a hiatus... 

ah fuck I need to go throw another set of 15 in. I'm just right under "30/day" to hit the goal which obviously is going to cause problems because there will be more days when I miss it entirely. LIke tomorrow when I fly out at 5:15 am and return home at 12:15 am, or Sunday when I'm stuck in Dallas because something fucked up between my connecting flights. I think I can hammer out 15 and 15 no prob and I don't think it's a big deal to do another set of 10 or 15 in the middle of the day, it's just a habit. If I can get that habit built I can build a cushion back up. And I can't play video games sitting indian style on our shitty old couch on the third floor because that fucks up my back.

• Hook 'Em 2

so I'm definitely out, but I'll keep updates on my health here anyway because why not

And yeah. What I've learned is that after age 50, you start to discover that your need for exercise to stay healthy goes up, but your tolerance/recovery speed goes down. I think at some point later in life those two lines will cross, and that's when I'll take up smoking. 😉

I grabbed a smartwatch as a temp replacement while my Rolex is in the shop (true 1%er problems) and it's dogshit as a watch, but a game changer for exercise. I didn't realize how easy it was for me to over-exert myself. Now I can pretty much track my pulse with every step.

So I'm not going back. Might ditch the smartwatch for a Fitbit, but I've got to monitor my exercise more closely.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m on a pretty good run, I think it’s been a month or so since I’ve missed a day. And I’m sneaking in a mid day set of 15 whenever I have the chance to try and buy some injury days for the second half of the year. Still need to cross the 5000 mark.

This is really just a goal for me because I said I’d do it, but it’s been a nice motivator to notice that I have some definition around the shoulders that didn’t used to be there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Halfway point of the year today! 

Yeah, doing even just a few extra when you can is nice to build up a cushion - like paying a little extra on your mortgage each month and eventually paying it off a few years early. 

I had a huge weight swing in mid-June due to two days of Dead shows at Wrigley - hot weather, ample cottonmouth, eating stadium/unhealthy food, and a strong focus on hydration meant that I gained about 12 lbs. of water weight in two days. 

Screenshot_20230701_111121_iHealth.thumb.jpg.9145f9176c34c664f3c544c561ab51c6.jpg

That was such a huge swing that the app connected to my scale asked to confirm that it was actually me. 

And the wide range has apparently broken the brain of the MyFitnessPal Y-axis automatic scaling, so now all of my charts are all fucked up and useless. I need to reach out to tech support eventually. 

Screenshot_20230701_111526_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.a5b2fbf4261088fe3f64052e6b091e6b.jpg

But overall, I'm down 26.5 lbs. from 192.9 on January 1.

Screenshot_20230701_110352_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.4fe59439e1db5d4f044f8d03061a6441.jpg

Not sure where to put this so I'll ask here. I recently moved to Salt Lake City and saw this morning in the news that there's a marathon going on Saturday. I regularly run about 7 miles a day in addition to light weights and walking my dog a few miles a day. So I'm in pretty good cardio shape. I'm intrigued by the route which is a long gradual descent down a mountain.

I was thinking I might sign up for the 13.1 mile half marathon race to try something new. Being as it's this Saturday, I've done no training for it. But I wonder, considering how much I run, if that's really necessary or if I'm being naive. For as much as I run, I've never actually gone further than 8 miles. Dumb idea?