Classes you've taken

Elvis

It's more fun to remember the classes that never made in into the transcript. eg First semester at Texas I sat in on an Arabic class and a Portuguese class. Arabic must have been Arabic for The Brain Dead, because all she did for the first week or two was have us chant the names of objects in the room. "Table" is "Taawila, Taawila, Taawila, Taawila, Taawila, Taawila, Taawila."

Got kicked out of Portuguese because I wasn't a paying student. I'm like, half these dudes won't even show up after two weeks, c'mon meng. Nope, dude was all official and by the book. I'm like, what kind of Portuguese IS this?

Three years later I was teaching myself to write Chinese and I showed up to a beginning Chinese class to learn the tones n shit. It was a bunch of kids terrified of the Commie instructor. No give-and-take, like a language class in prison in the 1950s. Then Madame Chicom didn't like the way I wrote the characters: "You are drawing a picture." Yes. Yes I am. See if your language ever gets popular.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Just one?

But seriously, that class almost made me drop out of Engineering and go into potato farming. ALMOST.

Aw man, Diff Eq was probably the easiest engineering math there was.  I'm kinda glad MEs didn't have to take vector calculus or linear algebra until later.

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

ASE was not designed to make you a well rounded individual. I kind of regret that. Want to take bowling; fuck you. Want to learn a language; fuck you.

Well, you could, you just were making sure you'd stick around another year.

In actuality, I found the ME students in my "class era" to be quite well-rounded humans, musicians, readers, athletes, all kinds of interesting hobbies and interests.  Considerably moreso than most of the turds I went to law school with.

hated vector calculus.  Loved calc, diff eq, and partial diff eq.  That vector shit didn't match my brain.

What sent me on a trip was when I showed up for the first day of grad school -- I did my undergrad elsewhere -- and Dr. Joe Beaman walks into our "Mechanical Systems" class and starts drawing what looked like chemical diagrams on the board.  I was completely lost, I thought I was in the wrong class.  Turns out it was something that undergrad MechEng students at UT learned called "bond graphs".  I panicked, talked to Beaman after class, he said "well, I guess you need to head to the CoOp, buy the undergrad text, and read your ass off this weekend".

I did exactly that and loved every minute of his course.  That dude is smart, smart, smart.  Best class I ever took . . . OK, a tie with some of Dr. Blackstock's acoustics classes.

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's more fun to remember the classes that never made in into the transcript.

I agree. Like when I was doing a bunch of coke and took half a semester of grad school. 

The funny part about that one is that my grades were actually pretty good. At least, good enough to get through it if I wanted to. 

But, you know, mental breakdowns tend to get in the way of things like getting your masters in accounting. 

• Drool 1

14 minutes ago, mchookem said:

buncha math nerds up in here, where my LA majors at?? 😄

boo it can't find my UT EID 🤨

Would have majored in English were money no object. 

Probably should have. I was a pretty brilliant LA student in college. Not doing much with my current degree. Cest la vie. 

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's more fun to remember the classes that never made in into the transcript.

Greek warfare with..Morgan i think was his name. Guy was always good for an entertaining lecture. And he told me I was a dumbass for considering switching from ChemE to classic civs major. Probably a talk I needed. 

2 classes with Truskett, the first being transport phenomenon. Granted these showed up on the transcript but he was a good teacher.

Intro to astronomy. By the time I took this I was a sr and had done a lot of rigorous math and science and was a physics and chemistry tutor, so I didn’t get bogged down in trying to keep up with anything, just got to enjoy it. I had gone through the motions of “deriving” the ideal gas law in other classes like pchem and starting with Brownian motion and what not, but for some reason it never occurred to me that it applied at such large scale (I mean it’s obvious it does but for some reason it didn’t then). Going through the derivation with that prof, but this time for a gas cloud was the closest thing I’d gotten to what I’d been hunting for in math and science to fill the void I’d lost in religion before starting college. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I agree. Like when I was doing a bunch of coke and took half a semester of grad school.

I learned a lesson when my buddy's girlfriend's older sister invited me for beers at the Posse.  Super cute grad student, D1 tennis player undergrad, ended up an Econ prof in Philadelphia.  We drained 3 pitchers of beer and consumed many nachos . . . and it never fucking dawned on me why I was there.  I was such an idiot.  I mean, read the signals, dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Elvis said:

It was pretty easy to get an unofficial transcript for UT.  Looking back on all of that work I put it 20 years ago, I probably should have done something more practical with my brain.  Post your curriculum if you want.  At least it's the season for nostalgia and regrats.

Fall 1997 Courses
Course Title
ASE 102 INTRO TO AEROSPACE ENGINEERING
M E 210 ENGINEERING DESIGN GRAPHICS
ARH 301 INTRODUCTION TO VISUAL ARTS
CH 301 PRINCIPLES OF CHEMISTRY I
M 408C DIFFEREN AND INTEGRAL CALCULUS
Spring 1998 Courses
Course Title
ASE 201 INTRO TO COMPUTER PROGRAMMING
GRG 305 THIS HUMAN WORLD: INTRO TO GRG
M 408D SEQ, SERIES, AND MULTIVAR CALC
PHY 303K ENGINEERING PHYSICS I
PHY 103M LABORATORY FOR PHY 303K
Summer 1998 Courses
M 305G ELEM FUNCTS AND COORD GEOMETRY
E 306 COMPOSITN/RHETORIC 1
Fall 1998 Courses
ASE 201 INTRO TO COMPUTER PROGRAMMING
E M 306S STATICS AND DYNAMICS
AST 307 INTRODUCTORY ASTRONOMY
G E 207D SUPPL INSTRUCTION FOR M 408D
Spring 1999 Courses
PED 106C 7-WEIGHT TRAINING
M 408D SEQ, SERIES, AND MULTIVAR CALC
E M 306S STATICS AND DYNAMICS
GOV 310L AMERICAN GOVERNMENT
HIS 315L UNITED STATES SINCE 1865
Summer 1999 Courses
M W427L ADV CALCULUS FOR APPLICATNS II
M 427K DIFFERENTIAL EQUATION
PHY 303L ENGINEERING PHYSICS 2
PHY 103N ENGINEERING PHYSICS 2
Fall 1999 Courses
E M 311M DYNAMICS
E M 319 MECHANICS OF SOLIDS
M E 326 THERMODYNAMICS
E 316K MASTERWORKS OF LIT: AMERICAN
PED 102G 1-BASIC SCUBA DIVING
ASE 211 ENGINEERING COMPUTATION
Spring 2000 Courses
ASE 320 INTRO TO FLUID MECHANICS
ASE 120K APPLICATIONS OF FLUID MECHS
E M 311M DYNAMICS
ASE 221K STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS
E 316K MASTERWORKS OF LIT: AMERICAN
HIS 315K UNITED STATES, 1492-1865
ASE 121M STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS LABORATORY
Summer 2000 Courses
ASE N330M LINEAR SYSTEM ANALYSIS
E E N333T TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION-W
Fall 2000 Courses
ASE 366K SPACECRAFT DYNAMICS
ASE 367K FLIGHT DYNAMICS
ASE 167M FLIGHT DYNAMICS LABORATORY
ASE 376K PROPULSION
E E 331K ELEC CIRCUITS AND ELECTRONICS
Spring 2001 Courses
ASE 365 STRUCTURAL DYNAMICS
ASE 366L APPLIED ORBITAL MECHANICS
ASE 166M SPACE APPLICATIONS LABORATORY
ASE 369K MEASURMNTS AND INSTRUMENTATN-W
ASE 372K ADVANCED SPACECRAFT DYNAMICS
Fall 2001 Courses
ASE 324L AEROSPACE MATERIALS LABORATORY
ASE 340 BOUNDARY LAYER THRY/HEAT TRANS
ASE 274L SPACECRAFT/MISSION DESIGN PRIN
ASE 174M SPACECRAFT/MISSION DESIGN LAB
M E 353 ENGINEERING ECONOMIC ANALYSIS
Spring 2002 Courses
ASE 463Q DSGN AND TEST OF ASE STRUCT- W
ASE 370L FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEMS
GOV 312L ISS AND POLICIES IN AMER GOV

We may have been in class together in 1997 and 1998.

Fall of 1997 I took ME210 and M408C.

Spring of 1998 I took M408D, PHY303K, PHY103M.

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I learned a lesson when my buddy's girlfriend's older sister invited me for beers at the Posse.  Super cute grad student, D1 tennis player undergrad, ended up an Econ prof in Philadelphia.  We drained 3 pitchers of beer and consumed many nachos . . . and it never fucking dawned on me why I was there.  I was such an idiot.  I mean, read the signals, dude.

Maybe I'm regarded but I'm not following this in relation to my comment. Help me out. 

• Haha 1

There was some rule in the 90s, maybe still is, that if a grad student wanted to teach classes in the summer (to gain wealth untold,) that grad student had to be enrolled in a class of their own. Comped by the University, sure, but there wasn't really anything going on with French or Spanish Linguistics at the grad level during summer.

Most people would take some literature course, like, hey, read Madame Bovary in 3 days. TOO SLOW! I'd done that shit and wasn't having it. So one summer I took a course on Extraterrestrial Life (hippy dude in shorts taught it), another summer I signed up for Theater Public Speaking or whatever they called it. It'd get you ready for a radio job if you could find a radio station that'd let you emote the St. Crispin's Day speech.

I guess my faculty thought I was dicking around, but I was getting ready to figure out alien linguistics, then address the intergalactic congress.

Man, the easy life of taking a pass/fail free course, then shuffle over and teach a class or two, then go drink beer with my similarly unstressed girlfriend. A charmed existence.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

hated vector calculus.  Loved calc, diff eq, and partial diff eq.  That vector shit didn't match my brain.

What sent me on a trip was when I showed up for the first day of grad school -- I did my undergrad elsewhere -- and Dr. Joe Beaman walks into our "Mechanical Systems" class and starts drawing what looked like chemical diagrams on the board.  I was completely lost, I thought I was in the wrong class.  Turns out it was something that undergrad MechEng students at UT learned called "bond graphs".  I panicked, talked to Beaman after class, he said "well, I guess you need to head to the CoOp, buy the undergrad text, and read your ass off this weekend".

I did exactly that and loved every minute of his course.  That dude is smart, smart, smart.  Best class I ever took . . . OK, a tie with some of Dr. Blackstock's acoustics classes.

i work with mechanical engineers weekly, they pay me fix their big rotating equipment problems. ive never heard of a 'bond graph'

2 semesters of organic chemistry

2 semesters of physical chemistry 

4 B's 

I took zero notes in engineering classes. we had 2 girls that were part of our group / circle. I'd make a copy of their notes after every class. their penmanship was flawless. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Haven't looked at my transcript since I graduated. Wouldnt even know where to find it. Do I have an EID? Fuck if I can remember. I did check out the EE curriculum and some of the greatest hits are still there. lots of new shit as would be expected. No evidence that little bitch Ian Thomas is still teaching. Fuck that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Haven't looked at my transcript since I graduated. Wouldnt even know where to find it. Do I have an EID? Fuck if I can remember. I did check out the EE curriculum and some of the greatest hits are still there. lots of new shit as would be expected. No evidence that little bitch Ian Thomas is still teaching. Fuck that guy. 

graduated with an Chemical Engineering in 97, that degree has been verified / checked ZERO times 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

NDNS

YWW

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, she wanted you to pay for the tab

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Would have majored in English were money no object. 

Probably should have. I was a pretty brilliant LA student in college. Not doing much with my current degree. Cest la vie. 

English major here (almost a double major in Government). Knew I wanted to go to law school. Yeah, it was a relative piece of cake compared to the engineering curriculum for some of the dorks on this thread (all due repsek). But still took some challenging classes to help my writing and critical analysis skills, which gave me a leg up over a lot of my law school classmates who were smarter than fuck but couldn’t write worth shit.

For those around in the mid-90s, I took American Constitutional Development and Judicial Process and Behavior with Alan Sager (and was his research assistant my last semester - he actually let me write a final exam question), and Civil Liberties with Harold Perry. Those courses were as tough as many I had in law school.

• Hook 'Em 2

At the school where I did my undergrad, all engineering majors had to take a "basic science elective" to graduate.  It made no sense.  At any rate, there were 3 choices -- intros to geology, biology, or astronomy.  All the profs HATED teaching those classes because nobody wanted to be there.  As a result, they made them hard.  Really hard.  I asked my advisor if there was some kind of workaround, like could I take a different class in one of those departments?  He agreed if I could find one for which I had the prerequisites.  I found one that had NO pre-reqs:  Human Genetics.  There were about 12 students in that class, the prof was awesome, and the material was super interesting.  Bullet dodged.

15 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Is this where we show our (academic) penis?  I feel like this is where I show it.

Look.  Look at it and despair.

------------------------------------

Fall 1981 
M 808A CALCULUS I 
PHY 303K ENGINEERING PHYSICS I 
PHY 103M LABORATORY FOR PHY 303K
ASE 302 INTRO TO AEROSPACE ENGR 
M E 201G ENGINEERING GRAPHICAL COMM
E 308 RHET LOGIC & EXPOS WRITG-SP 

Spring 1982 
RTF 305 THE ELECTRONIC CULTURE 
M 808B CALCULUS II 
CH 301 INTRODUCTORY CHEMISTRY 
PHY 303L ENGINEERING PHYSICS II 
PHY 103N LAB FOR PHY 303L

Fall 1982 
ASE 311 ENGINEERING COMPUTATION 
E M 306 STATICS 
GOV 310L AMERICAN GOVERNMENT
M 427K ADV CALCULUS FOR APPL 

Spring 1983
ASE 325L AEROSPACE: CO-OP ENGINEERING

Summer 1983 
E M W311 DYNAMICS 
E M W319 MECHANICS OF SOLIDS 
M 427L ADV CALCULUS FOR APPLICATIONS

Fall 1983 
E 306 RHETORIC & COMPOSITION 
M 305G ELEM FUNCTIONS-COORD GEOMETRY

Spring 1984 
ASE 320 INTRODUCTN TO FLUID MECHANICS
ASE 120K APPLICATIONS OF FLUID MECHANCS
ASE 370K DYNMCS OF PARTCLS & RIGID BODS
E E 331K ELEC CIRCUITS & ELECTRONICS 
M E 326 THERMODYNAMICS I 

Summer 1984 
GOV 3USAD AMER PLCTCL INSTUTNS

Fall 1984 
ASE 321 STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS 
ASE 362K COMPRESSIBLE FLUID MECHANICS
ASE 162M APPLIED COMP FLUID MECHANICS 
ASE 366K ORBITAL MECHANICS 
ASE 367K FLIGHT DYNAMICS 
ASE 167M FLIGHT DYNAMICS LAB 

Spring 1985 
ASE 340 BOUND LAYER THRY & HEAT TRANS
ASE 369K MEASUREMENTS & INSTRUMENTATION
ASE 376K PROPULSION 
ASE 224L AEROSPACE MATERIALS LAB 
AST 307 INTRODUCTORY ASTRONOMY 
ASE 370L FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEMS 

Summer 1985 
HIS F315K UNITED STATES, 1492-1865
HIS S315L UNITED STATES SINCE 1865 
E 317 TCHNCL RPRT WRTNG 

Fall 1985 
ASE 363Q DESIGN & TESTING OF ASE STRUC 
ASE 365 STRUCTURAL DYNAMICS 
ASE 166M SPACE APPLICATIONS LAB 
ASE 372K ATTITUDE DYNAMICS 
ASE 274L SPACECRAFT/MISSION DESGN PRIN
ASE 174M SPACECRAFT/MISSION DESGN LAB
MUS 302L INTRO TO WESTERN MUSIC 

Where is PHOTOSHOP 412 HIDING BURT IN PLAIN SIGHT?

• Hook 'Em 2

I took the 500 person class with Daly... at the time the largest class size at UT - https://commstudies.utexas.edu/faculty/john-daly

Also had Sager that came up recently in the Chris Beard thread... https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2003-05-30/161549/

Had a class with Ekland-Olsen... on the day of one of his tests, I slept in and then ran to class only to see everyone walking out.  I was a dumbass (typical) and showed up an hour late.  Anyway, I plead my case to him and he let me retake it.  Still got a crappy grade.  https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/sociology/faculty/seo1944

I have a million dumbass stories.  

Other than that, the usual crap. 

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

English major here (almost a double major in Government). Knew I wanted to go to law school. Yeah, it was a relative piece of cake compared to the engineering curriculum for some of the dorks on this thread (all due repsek). But still took some challenging classes to help my writing and critical analysis skills, which gave me a leg up over a lot of my law school classmates who were smarter than fuck but couldn’t write worth shit.

For those around in the mid-90s, I took American Constitutional Development and Judicial Process and Behavior with Alan Sager (and was his research assistant my last semester - he actually let me write a final exam question), and Civil Liberties with Harold Perry. Those courses were as tough as many I had in law school.

Early/mid 90s English major as well.  Had a choice between taking a grammar class and History of the English language.  I chose poorly; I chose the latter.  Let's see some of you Train Drivers recite 40 lines of Canterbury Tales in Old English from memory.  That shit sounds like C3P0 talking to the Ewoks.  That class sucked. 

What didn't suck was Mike Adams's Modern Short Story.  The dude was a top notch writing instructor, who wrote my law school rec. and who spent his spare time editing briefs for a lot of big law firms around town.  Years later, he spoke at a CLE and was the "best chapel speaker ever."  Other good English classes of note:  Jerry Bump's Autobiography: Yours and Others'; his Wordsworth and Hopkins class; and Graham's Southwestern Literature.  Also, very few written finals for English majors (mostly papers).  I felt like it helped immensely in law school.  But as an eventual appellate attorney, it turned out to be the perfect major for me.  But unlike SA, I didn't know I wanted to go to law school when I became an English major.  It's just what I was good at and I didn't think I'd be much of an English teacher.  So law school it was.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

73A953A8-A99E-4211-851F-FB59BE8F5B81.thumb.jpeg.c2532be01466d1aaa0a223578ed46e2f.jpeg

literally dont remember taking mountain geoecology (wut?)

medical geography was one of the worst and intensive classes ever. literally from starting minute 0 to end, instructor provided sheer volumes of uninterrupted, non-stop information. the entire course was just exercise in memory retention with zero thinking or learning values. 

the worst class was environmental hydro. 8am start and boring as fuck. 

suicide terrorism was…uh…..for an A all I literally did was turn  in 2 papers of 3-pg length.  thank you allah  

What year? I took it as well. Loved it. Wrote my final paper on approaches to controlling dengue. 

Worst class I took in one of my majors was History of Communism in Brazil with Dulles. Thought the dude was going to have a stroke every class. 80 minutes, twice a week of non-stop note taking. Every time I hear the name Carlos Mariguella I twitch and reach for a blue book. 

14 minutes ago, dcbc said:

What didn't suck was Mike Adams's Modern Short Story.  The dude was a top notch writing instructor, who wrote my law school rec. and who spent his spare time editing briefs for a lot of big law firms around town.  

Evan Carton was the guy for me. I took four of his courses. Had to read and write a ton, and he also gave me a law school rec.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, mchookem said:

buncha math nerds up in here, where my LA majors at?? 😄

boo it can't find my UT EID 🤨

Right here! And doing fine with the degrees. 

Dr. Burnett was my favorite professor. Her Latin America classes were fun. Plus she would let me crash on the couch in her office when I needed a break. (Had a toddler for my last two years. Fuck that.... ) 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Dr. Burnett was my favorite professor. Her Latin America classes were fun. Plus she would let me crash on the couch in her office when I needed a break. (Had a toddler for my last two years. Fuck that.... ) 

This dear penthouse story didnt end the way i expected…

• Haha 1