little help with cooking 3 pork butts

markstanco

Cooking for employees to be served at 11a on Thursday. I rubbed them down with salt and pepper tonight and will cook on an Egg. 11a is the tough issue since I have to pay attention during the night.

Plan is to get them to 195 and throw in the Yeti to finish. Any ideas appreciated! From what I see I need to put them on around midnight to 2a which would suck ass.

Start after dinner, smoke them until you want to go to bed, then stick them in the oven at 200 overnight.  Stick them in a cooler to rest on your way out the door.

Yea I know it’s a simple piece of meat but after dinner is a wild ass number. Doing 3 of them is a bit nerve racking. 180 degrees or 220 will be a massive fail since we have a finite eating time.

I have a BT thermometer, and all pieces of meat ar the same size, within a few ounces on purpose.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you have them at 200+ for 12 hours or more they'll be done.  They might not be very smokey if they only get a few hours on the BGE, but you could do the right thing and just babysit them all night while sipping bourbon.  But, hey.

I was suggesting he smoke them for something like 7:00-2:00 and then wrap and stick them in the oven.  7 hours is plenty of smoke.  If he was willing to stay up all night he should be willing to drink brown water on the patio until closing time.

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was suggesting he smoke them for something like 7:00-2:00 and then wrap and stick them in the oven.  7 hours is plenty of smoke.  If he was willing to stay up all night he should be willing to drink brown water on the patio until closing time.

I took his post to be saying that 2 AM would "suck ass" (which I don't agree with, but it ain't my porch).

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I took his post to be saying that 2 AM would "suck ass" (which I don't agree with, but it ain't my porch).

I took it to mean that he was willing to start late and pull an all-nighter but was looking for alternatives.  But I’m into the brown water, so you’re probably right.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Start after dinner, smoke them until you want to go to bed, then stick them in the oven at 200 overnight.  Stick them in a cooler to rest on your way out the door.

This is the way. If you want more smoke, start it right when you get home from work (vs after dinner), so it gets a bit more time on the smoke. Then, at bedtime (probably earlier than 2am), wrap and throw them in the oven as above.

• Like 1

I’m a Texan that grew up in Memphis and learned barbecue first on pork shoulders. I learned from Memphis in Matt 2 time champ John Wills.

I use a rub that’s salt pepper paprika, chili powder, ground mustard, granulated garlic and cover the shoulder and let it set overnight. Put on at 225 and mop with a baste of white vinegar, leftover rub, and water about every 30 minutes. Back then they were on the pit 12-14 hours but any of the smoke and wrap or smoke and oven methods would work. Should have a nice bark outside and smooth white middle.

The god of smoking likes 275. That sounds great if you put it on in the morning for an evening meal. They are on now, my plan is to keep them on the smoke for 4 hours then wrap and place in one of those big aluminum pans and finish in the oven as suggested. 235-250 on smoke, oven as suggested at 2-225. Pics forthcoming. Spray bottle has OJ, little apple vinegar, and a dash of powdered bay leaves from CM.

Little add on.

Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar

2 tbs brown sugar

1 tsp Tony’s cajun seasoning

1 tsp course black pepper

1 tsp red pepper flakes

Warm vinegar in sauce pan then dissolve the sugar, Then add the remaining ingredients,
Put in a squirt bottle, and apply to meat after you pull it, then squirt the sauce on the sandwhich, etc. I also thin my BBQ sauce with it
It is amazing and everyone is blown away. 

18 hours ago, markstanco said:

The god of smoking likes 275. That sounds great if you put it on in the morning for an evening meal. They are on now, my plan is to keep them on the smoke for 4 hours then wrap and place in one of those big aluminum pans and finish in the oven as suggested. 235-250 on smoke, oven as suggested at 2-225. Pics forthcoming. Spray bottle has OJ, little apple vinegar, and a dash of powdered bay leaves from CM.

How did they turn out?

On 12/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, Dry Elbows said:

How did they turn out?

They turned out great!  All was consumed except maybe 5 pounds and it was taken home by a few.  I personally like the Franklin method where there is heavy bark, but I didn't think it would go over well with some of the older ladies that don't like a lot of spice and smoke (their words).

• Hook 'Em 1