old war movie thread

Gil Bang

On 12/21/2022 at 10:43 PM, Gil Bang said:

So, the GF's son is married to a terrific woman from China (they met when he was serving in Japan and she was in grad school there).  Her folks have been here twice.  They don't speak a word of english, but he likes beer so we drink together and backslap each other. 

Anyway, a few years back, the girl gets pregnant, and the parents come out in the last month of her pregnancy and stay several months.  

We are all in the waiting room at the UCLA med center while she's in labor.   Dad is watching "Patton" on his laptop with Chinese subtitles. 

This is both a really cool and funny story. I am trying to imagine the family being excited about the birth of a new member of the family and meanwhile grandpa is watching Patton and listening to the opening speech in Mandarin. 

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

This is both a really cool and funny story. I am trying to imagine the family being excited about the birth of a new member of the family and meanwhile grandpa is watching Patton and listening to the opening speech in Mandarin. 

Even better; the dude barely speaks mandarin.  The subtitles are the same, but, according to his daughter, his mandarin is pretty rough.  They didn't teach it when he was in school.  They are from Chendu, and have/had their own language.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Even better; the dude barely speaks mandarin.  The subtitles are the same, but, according to his daughter, his mandarin is pretty rough.  They didn't teach it when he was in school.  They are from Chendu, and have/had their own language.

That was true for my former father in law. He was from Hunan province and his Mandarin pronunciation was rough. Several Mandarin speakers asked me what he was trying to say where I could only speak a handful of words. He was a chemical engineer in china but had difficulty expressing himself especially with two very verbal daughters and a wife dominating  conversations. Funny how the in-laws still adored me long after their daughter flicked that switch off. He was a good guy and may he rest at peace. 

51 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

That was true for my former father in law. He was from Hunan province and his Mandarin pronunciation was rough. Several Mandarin speakers asked me what he was trying to say where I could only speak a handful of words. He was a chemical engineer in china but had difficulty expressing himself especially with two very verbal daughters and a wife dominating  conversations. Funny how the in-laws still adored me long after their daughter flicked that switch off. He was a good guy and may he rest at peace. 

That's been the biggest deal for me getting to know all of those people.  I had the impression that asian women were subservient, etc.  Oh fuck no.  They are bossier and pushier than american women.  At least these women are. 

The Longest Day is my favorite.

My dad was in the first wave on Omaha beach and the 29th Division took some of the highest casualties of that campaign. He was wounded 3 times during his enlistment. 

The opening scene in Saving Private Ryan depicting the 29th Division beach landings was spectacular.

My dad never would watch any WWII movies that I was aware of.