I had coffee with McCauley HALF AN HOUR AGO!

Bateshorn

Supposedly, they shot it with tons of mics strategically placed. In post, they started dubbing in layers upon layers of SFX and Mann heard it once and told them to lose all SFX and to use only what was captured while filming. Pretty unheard of for action sequence editing, but it’s why it sounds so real, because it is. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Supposedly, they shot it with tons of mics strategically placed. In post, they started dubbing in layers upon layers of SFX and Mann heard it once and told them to lose all SFX and to use only what was captured while filming. Pretty unheard of for action sequence editing, but it’s why it sounds so real, because it is. 

Somebody on this site was working downtown in an investment firm when they shot that scene. Said it sounded like the end of the world.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The escape from the bank is probably the best action sequence I've ever seen. 

Not to derail but best action scene was Hosehead rolling up the roof in Strange Brew. Heat was close though. 

spacer.png

If you're among the surly literati, I highly recommend this.  I waited months for the audiobook through Libby, and blazed through the 19 hours a couple of months ago.  It won't win a pulitzer, but if you liked the movie, you will like this book.  

https://www.amazon.com/Heat-2-Novel-Michael-Mann/dp/0063241986

19 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

spacer.png

If you're among the surly literati, I highly recommend this.  I waited months for the audiobook through Libby, and blazed through the 19 hours a couple of months ago.  It won't win a pulitzer, but if you liked the movie, you will like this book.  

I got the Kindle version a few months ago and it's...interesting. I know that Mann wrote it in order to make a sequel/prequel, but the book also clearly sets up for a 3rd act. I guess I spent too much time trying to figure out how he'd make the movie(s) to truly enjoy the book.

This is one of those movies I always stop on if I come across it.  Had it on the other day and the wife is like “I’ve never seen this.”  How can that be possible.  We’ve been together 30+ years and I’ve seen it at least 10 times and you’ve never seen it once?  We don’t watch that much stuff separately.  I think she may have brain damage.  But if it’s true, another start to finish run of it is in the offing.  

I have the “Heat 2” book but haven’t started it.  Need to find time.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sizemore was on a short lived CBS show created by Michael Mann called Robbery Homicide Division. Essentially a Heat like show set in the early 00s. It only ran for 10 episodes before it was cancelled. I think it's the vehicle that got Mann interested in redoing Miami Vice and Collateral. I don't think it's available to stream anywhere. I remember it was a big player on the HD Channel since it was shot in digital. 

I also have Heat 2 on my bookshelf. Hoping to dive in next week during the slow work week/holiday week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Sizemore was on a short lived CBS show created by Michael Mann called Robbery Homicide Division. Essentially a Heat like show set in the early 00s. It only ran for 10 episodes before it was cancelled. I think it's the vehicle that got Mann interested in redoing Miami Vice and Collateral. I don't think it's available to stream anywhere. I remember it was a big player on the HD Channel since it was shot in digital. 

I also have Heat 2 on my bookshelf. Hoping to dive in next week during the slow work week/holiday week. 

Looks like at least two episodes are on Youtube. 

On 12/21/2022 at 4:35 PM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

spacer.png

How large is the print of the GREAT ASS scene in your large print edition? 

• Haha 1

How have we come this far without the central message from the movie: “Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.”

I heard Michael Mann on a podcast say that the original script was written so that Hanna had a coke addiction, but they eventually edited out all the scenes with him doing blow. Makes Pacino’s performance much easier to understand.

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I heard Michael Mann on a podcast say that the original script was written so that Hanna had a coke addiction, but they eventually edited out all the scenes with him doing blow. Makes Pacino’s performance much easier to understand.

Pacino is also on record as saying he played it knowing that Vincent was "chipping".

Hanna is a juice addict. He's not into the small jobs. Any cop can do the 9-5 stuff. He wants to be there on the edge, chasing the best of the best, the Neil McCauley's of the world. He needs the ultraviolet vision that bumps provide.

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Pacino has only ever had three roles where he didn't appear to be whacked out of his mind on coke.  The Godfather I, The Godfather III, & Donnie Brasco.  Everything else, he plays it like he's had an eight ball for breakfast.  

Just one 8 ball? Hanna has been stringing together bags for awhile.  It’s all about whether he can catch McCauley before he comes apart at the seams. 

On 12/23/2022 at 10:28 AM, mdmost said:

On 12/23/2022 at 11:34 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Looks like at least two episodes are on Youtube. 

On 12/23/2022 at 2:06 PM, Parliament said:

They're all on YT

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-oATDcYpAs8miTqBf_KSq1DIFWR5tl7x

On 12/21/2022 at 11:27 AM, Bateshorn said:

Somebody on this site was working downtown in an investment firm when they shot that scene. Said it sounded like the end of the world.

That was me.  Was working at a downtown LA law firm at the time.  It was a weekend day, and I had a motion or something that had to be done by Monday, so I had driven downtown to get some of it done.  (This was the pre- working remotely era.  If you needed to get office work done, you pretty much had to go into the office.)  Was walking to grab something to eat when they let loose with a huge fusillade of gunfire you could hear from blocks away.  I saw a couple other people on the sidewalk either duck into doorways or turn around and head in the other direction.  We were all wondering what the hell was going on.      

• Like 2