The Banshees of Inisherin

Beau Vine

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Really interesting little movie with Colin Ferrell that will get Oscar attention for at least Cinematography.  

I liked it a lot.  Wife didn't like it.  

I've heard from a friend who loves movies that it's great. I love IN BRUGES and this is the same main troika.

Why didn't your wife like it? My wife isn't usually a huge movie buff anyway so I'd kind of figured I'd be watching this on my own.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Why didn't your wife like it?

Spoiler

She got up and left the room when she thought CF was going to kill the dog after his donkey died.  She didn't like the whole idea of two friends being mean to each other for no reason.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Spoiler

I was cracking up from the get-go with all the "Are ye rowing?" "I didn't tink we were rowing." Over and over. But overall, even though it had a lot of funny moments, what a sad movie. I'm really glad they didn't have Padraic go after Colm's dog, at least.

Edited by austingirl
  • Hook 'Em 1

So I was scrolling HBO last night and this fucking movie was on! I thought it was only streaming on PPV and in the theaters. It was 25 or so mins in so I watched a few mins and then searched for the next showing on HBO. It's not until tomorrow night so DVR is set!

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

So I was scrolling HBO last night and this fucking movie was on! I thought it was only streaming on PPV and in the theaters. It was 25 or so mins in so I watched a few mins and then searched for the next showing on HBO. It's not until tomorrow night so DVR is set!

Can't you login to HBO Max with your subscription to HBO and just stream it on-demand?

6 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Keoghan was very good, but I thought Kerry Condon was fantastic in this.  But, honestly, everyone was great here. 

Hide contents

As mentioned above, a lot of funny moments for an overall sad movie with some heartbreaking scenes  

living in 1923 would suck 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 3:02 AM, Frieda’s Boss said:

Keoghan was very good, but I thought Kerry Condon was fantastic in this.  But, honestly, everyone was great here. 

Reveal hidden contents

As mentioned above, a lot of funny moments for an overall sad movie with some heartbreaking scenes  

If you're a Kerry Condon fan you should check out Rome.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And delivers one of my favorite lines in the whole series

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That whole scene was so damn great. 

I got a VPN on my personal computer so I could watch it in June and not have to wait until when the fuck ever it aired in the US. I will miss this show so much. 

24 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I got a VPN on my personal computer so I could watch it in June and not have to wait until when the fuck ever it aired in the US. I will miss this show so much. 

Me too but I am glad McGee ended it when she wanted to instead of dragging it out for the fuck ever like we tend to do over here. The ending is perfect.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 6:13 PM, C-Man said:

*feckin movie

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

I watched this over the weekend and was somewhat disappointed. Great acting, beautifully shot with great scenery, and some dark humor at times.

The plot was pretty one dimensional and felt entirely pointless. One absurdly depressing character dragging others down into his despair. I was waiting for redemption that never came. If there’s a deeper message, I missed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The plot was pretty one dimensional and felt entirely pointless. One absurdly depressing character dragging others down into his despair. I was waiting for redemption that never came. If there’s a deeper message, I missed it.

Irish Civil War , that was the actual war going on across the sea.

The last line of the movie tied it up

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I watched this over the weekend and was somewhat disappointed. Great acting, beautifully shot with great scenery, and some dark humor at times.

If you think of Ireland and the moment in Irish history it brings great depth. It's not a story that could be told the same way in any other place. Pointless absurd self-destructive conflicts that seem to just well up in that country's history. 

My thought on what the banshees of Inisherin are:

Spoiler

The  fatal guns and cannon across the strait. Irish versus Irish in a bloody civil war immediately after gaining independence from the fucking British. The banshee's call foretells death. The craziness and horror of that civil war inform the crazy break in the friendship. 

I like this movie the more I move away from it. It keeps entering my mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just finished this and it's an incredible film. Keoghan was particularly brilliant but the entire cast and all performances were excellent.

Loved the message of civil war and the stubbornness of friends turning on each other for inane and pointless reasons until they reach a breaking point.

It's rather gloomy to be sure, but I laughed often. Great writing and great characterizations.

It should win multiple Oscars.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/15/2023 at 7:18 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

And delivers one of my favorite lines in the whole series

On 1/15/2023 at 7:24 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

That whole scene was so damn great. 

Spoiler

Is it when Erin asks how many Catholic officers they have and he says "Counting the Jewish fella from Ballymena, three?"

On 1/23/2023 at 6:06 PM, wild_turkey said:

I was waiting for redemption that never came. If there’s a deeper message, I missed it.

Would you rather be forgotten for being a nice but mediocre person or remembered for creating/achieving something lasting while being an asshole? What is the purpose of life? Not much can be deeper than that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Would you rather be forgotten for being a nice but mediocre person or remembered for creating/achieving something lasting while being an asshole? What is the purpose of life? Not much can be deeper than that. 

I don’t think that was it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/23/2023 at 4:06 PM, wild_turkey said:

this was close to my reaction. i didn't know anything about the movie, halfway thru i was thinking/feeling 'this isn't just depressing, it's pretty basic!'

it wasn't until after when i was trying to figure out why it was getting so much critical buzz that i started thinking there had to be more, some sort of political/historical allegory subtext that i whiffed on bc i don't know shit about Irish history. 

i'll probably rewatch it at some point now that i 'get it'... but i'm not sure that movies that require homework are my favorites 🤔🙃

On 1/23/2023 at 5:06 PM, wild_turkey said:

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

this was close to my reaction. i didn't know anything about the movie, halfway thru i was thinking/feeling 'this isn't just depressing, it's pretty basic!'

it wasn't until after when i was trying to figure out why it was getting so much critical buzz that i started thinking there had to be more, some sort of political/historical allegory subtext that i whiffed on bc i don't know shit about Irish history. 

i'll probably rewatch it at some point now that i 'get it'... but i'm not sure that movies that require homework are my favorites 🤔🙃

I can see where you are coming from, but ultimately I disagree and I liked it.

The movie felt like an adaption of a play. Maybe it was because I had just watched and fawned over the Coen Brotheradaption of MacBeth, starring Gleeson as King Duncan, or maybe it was because the movie had strong "Waiting for Godot" vibes (which, Beckett was an Irish playwright, after all), but it was undeniably crisp, beautifully shot, scored, and acted.

Ultimately it's a story about a 1923 Irishman's mid-life crisis and wrestling with his life. It's "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" but before having to be on your deathbed to contemplate a life well-lived and the use of one's scarce energy, time and resources to leave your mark. It's about a very flawed, pride-filled/egotistical (confessed as much to the father) man who isn't all that special or uniquely talented or smart. In that sense a lot of us can relate; I know I can, at least.

I think the self-mutilation was a little lot much and drove it to the absurdism, but it also reflected the despairs and the mental illness that was probably just as prevalant but undisclosed or discussed in 1923 Ireland.

What am I missing about Barry Keoghan's acting that was superb and masterful? He played a young abused man with some mental slowness well enough, but for me it was Colin Ferrell who was the MVP. His character demanded more of him by struggling through a broader range of emotions and mindsets and Ferrell killed it.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

Dont think one needs to know much or think too deeply on it. 

It was made explicit a few times the war is a civil war, and the scene with the copper expressing nonchalance about not knowing which side was killing which side mirrors the senselessness and inanity of a domestic strife of 2 parties locked on an island. Its silly and needless. 

Thats even if you want to have to think about it. Superficially the dialog is still hilarious. 

I can see where you are coming from, but ultimately I disagree and I liked it.
The movie felt like an adaption of a play. Maybe it was because I had just watched and fawned over the Coen Brotheradaption of MacBeth, starring Gleeson as King Duncan, or maybe it was because the movie had strong "Waiting for Godot" vibes (which, Beckett was an Irish playwright, after all), but it was undeniably crisp, beautifully shot, scored, and acted.
Ultimately it's a story about a 1923 Irishman's mid-life crisis and wrestling with his life. It's "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" but before having to be on your deathbed to contemplate a life well-lived and the use of one's scarce energy, time and resources to leave your mark. It's about a very flawed, pride-filled/egotistical (confessed as much to the father) man who isn't all that special or uniquely talented or smart. In that sense a lot of us can relate; I know I can, at least.
I think the self-mutilation was a little lot much and drove it to the absurdism, but it also reflected the despairs and the mental illness that was probably just as prevalant but undisclosed or discussed in 1923 Ireland.
What am I missing about Barry Keoghan's acting that was superb and masterful? He played a young abused man with some mental slowness well enough, but for me it was Colin Ferrell who was the MVP. His character demanded more of him by struggling through a broader range of emotions and mindsets and Ferrell killed it.

It was a basic story, yes, but I still loved it. Gleason and Farrell have an insanely alluring on-screen camraderie and I’ll watch them do anything together.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

It was a basic story, yes, but I still loved it. Gleason and Farrell have an insanely alluring on-screen camraderie and I’ll watch them do anything together.

I’ve never seen In Bruges (which I think has them both?) by the same director but was pleasantly surprised to see this director did 3 billboards which was one of the best movies of the last decade in my book.