The Banshees of Inisherin

Beau Vine

6 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I’ve never seen In Bruges (which I think has them both?) by the same director but was pleasantly surprised to see this director did 3 billboards which was one of the best movies of the last decade in my book.

I highly recommend you watch it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

I’ve never seen In Bruges (which I think has them both?) by the same director but was pleasantly surprised to see this director did 3 billboards which was one of the best movies of the last decade in my book.

In Bruges is a personal favorite. You need to watch it ASAP. It's got a more straightforward story.

• Hook 'Em 4

I loved it, but my dumb ass didn't put the relationship as a microcosm of the Irish civil war piece together till like a day later. I took it at face value. Jesus I'm dense. Two friends fighting over what seems like nonsense, ramping it up to ridiculous levels. Innocent people die (and a donkey), people flee to get away from it (the sister). It sort of ends..but will most likely continue for years.(the troubles)

I need to watch it again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

I loved it, but my dumb ass didn't put the relationship as a microcosm of the Irish civil war piece together till like a day later. I took it at face value. Jesus I'm dense. Two friends fighting over what seems like nonsense, ramping it up to ridiculous levels. Innocent people die (and a donkey), people flee to get away from it (the sister). It sort of ends..but will most likely continue for years.(the troubles)

Well in your defense, McDonagh has downplayed the war/metaphorical reading of the movie in most of his interviews.

• Like 1

If it were a book I would call it a novel of manners. A minimalist look at an insular,  even incestuous society.

I thought the civil war as a backdrop highlighted the isolation of the people on an island a stone’s throw from where their countrymen were killing each other. 

You had one man trying to rage against the dying of the light amongst a town of people living lives of quiet desperation, and a woman willing to risk everything to break away. Had an Edith Wharton quality to it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just watched. 

Close to a 9/10 for me and I don't throw ratings like that around lightly. That's a pretty masterful film in the traditional sense and tweaked just enough to remain interesting through the utilization of some more modern/unorthodox devices.

It probably won't win best picture because nothing is evaluated on merit anymore in this stupid fucking society but it probably should. 

I came into this not a huge fan of Colin Farrell and thought his casting was distracting initially but once I better understood what they were going for he blended in perfectly. 

Also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. 

Side note: it reminded me a lot of The Last Picture Show. Which is a masterpiece in its own right.

@deadshank you might want to give this one a spin. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 3:47 PM, HamsterHookah said:

I can see where you are coming from, but ultimately I disagree and I liked it.

The movie felt like an adaption of a play. Maybe it was because I had just watched and fawned over the Coen Brotheradaption of MacBeth, starring Gleeson as King Duncan, or maybe it was because the movie had strong "Waiting for Godot" vibes (which, Beckett was an Irish playwright, after all), but it was undeniably crisp, beautifully shot, scored, and acted.

Ultimately it's a story about a 1923 Irishman's mid-life crisis and wrestling with his life. It's "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" but before having to be on your deathbed to contemplate a life well-lived and the use of one's scarce energy, time and resources to leave your mark. It's about a very flawed, pride-filled/egotistical (confessed as much to the father) man who isn't all that special or uniquely talented or smart. In that sense a lot of us can relate; I know I can, at least.

I think the self-mutilation was a little lot much and drove it to the absurdism, but it also reflected the despairs and the mental illness that was probably just as prevalant but undisclosed or discussed in 1923 Ireland.

What am I missing about Barry Keoghan's acting that was superb and masterful? He played a young abused man with some mental slowness well enough, but for me it was Colin Ferrell who was the MVP. His character demanded more of him by struggling through a broader range of emotions and mindsets and Ferrell killed it.

You get a lot of shit on this site but unlike some posters here you understood this film. Bravo. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just watched. 

Close to a 9/10 for me and I don't throw ratings like that around lightly. That's a pretty masterful film in the traditional sense and tweaked just enough to remain interesting through the utilization of some more modern/unorthodox devices.

It probably won't win best picture because nothing is evaluated on merit anymore in this stupid fucking society but it probably should. 

I came into this not a huge fan of Colin Farrell and thought his casting was distracting initially but once I better understood what they were going for he blended in perfectly. 

Also one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. 

Side note: it reminded me a lot of The Last Picture Show. Which is a masterpiece in its own right.

@deadshank you might want to give this one a spin. 

Thanks for the rec.  Will check it out. Just got done with Dopesick.

Looking for a new fix. 

On 1/26/2023 at 9:12 AM, HamsterHookah said:

In Bruges is an outstanding movie. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 9:17 AM, Pokoloco said:

Same. I liked it but didn’t catch the connection, so thought the end didn’t stick the landing. Cutting off of all fingers seemed ridiculous.

In retrospect based on @RomaVicta take the ending makes absolute sense. “It’s only over if you would have died” or something like that. I’ll have to watch again.

On 1/26/2023 at 11:17 AM, Pokoloco said:

I read the Irish civil war stuff before watching it last night. Almost wish I would have watched it your way first then a rewatch, either way very well done. It's been a decent amount of time since I've watched In Bruges and I want to rewatch that now.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:01 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Well in your defense, McDonagh has downplayed the war/metaphorical reading of the movie in most of his interviews.

When you read what writers/singers/director claim or confirm is the intended meaning of their book/song/movie, it changes from interview to interview. The explanation seems to depend on their mood, and the phase of the moon. 

On 1/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, Sawbonz said:

If it were a book I would call it a novel of manners. A minimalist look at an insular,  even incestuous society.

I thought the civil war as a backdrop highlighted the isolation of the people on an island a stone’s throw from where their countrymen were killing each other. 

You had one man trying to rage against the dying of the light amongst a town of people living lives of quiet desperation, and a woman willing to risk everything to break away. Had an Edith Wharton quality to it. 

The relationship of the men in the isolated, dull life on the little island juxtaposed against the countries' civil war was well done but one thing that stuck out to me was the despair aspect of Colm. The obsession with legacy then the self mutilation to prevent the one activity he sought legacy in seems like a man who knows he can't achieve the heights he wants so he cripples himself as an out. An excuse for impending failure. That in the end he's a small man on a small island and no matter what he does no one will remember him or his music. Like all of us. He just used Padric as the scapegoat for his own self imposed banishment and in the end kicked off a downward spiral towards death. 

Just seeing it as an allegory about Ireland and the Irish people is really helpful. The fighting for no reason. Delusions of grandeur.  The need to cut off your nose (or fingers) to spite your face. How sweet, dumb souls can come to the point of violent pointless vendettas against their friends and neighbors over stupid, worthless, pathetic shit (Jesus, God, the fucking British). It fecking great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...