Cool old pictures of your parents, grand parents, or family

Elvis

35 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

John Thomas McKenzie (2) 001.jpg

Wife of John Thomas McKenzie 001.jpg

Wm. E. McKenzie in DC 001.jpg

1) Foreclosed on shack while large Irish family was at mine disaster funeral for breadwinner father.  Had a life-long, strongly held belief that Thomas Edison was an albino trying to “pass”;

2) Garnered minor celebrity status later in life as the grandmother to Our Gang’s Alfalfa;

3) Great Aunt Canecutter never found the right man to marry, but threw herself into her work as Commissioner for the American Women’s Softball Association. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

1) Foreclosed on shack while large Irish family was at mine disaster funeral for breadwinner father.  Had a life-long, strongly held belief that Thomas Edison was an albino trying to “pass”;

2) Garnered minor celebrity status later in life as the grandmother to Our Gang’s Alfalfa;

3) Great Aunt Canecutter never found the right man to marry, but threw herself into her work as Commissioner for the American Women’s Softball Association. 

Dead on!

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I assume that his recruitment included a fancy new Studebaker?

He was one of 9 kids from a sharecropper’s family in Memphis, TX.  

I’d wager his recruiting enticements included a sack of chips and a bottle of soda pop. 

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 3

image.jpeg.160b06fd89b1ee2ecd2cc55eb2f77eb4.jpeg

My paternal great grandfather with his family in front of his Nacogdoches County homestead in 1909.

The baby on his lap is my grandfather.  This was great grandfather's second family as his first wife died in childbirth after 4 kids delivered.

CSB, is that my great grandfather died of infection from a bull goring while working a cattle round-up on horseback when he was in his 80s. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I’m having trouble finding my scans. But here are a couple:

my maternal great grandfather in Bloomington, TX where my grandfather was born.  I make it a point whenever we go to visit my folks in Rockport that I pass through Bloomington and mention that to my kids. They ignore me. 

image.thumb.jpeg.95fd32fbda213e1a3bc82497a972242e.jpeg

And my paternal grandparents at the monument at the Strait of Magellan. They were moving from São Paulo, BR to the Costa Rica (I thought they moved to the Panama Canal Zone, but I think I am wrong). My grandmother was pregnant with my aunt and had to disembark at Viña Del Mar, Chile where she was born. 

image.jpeg.9d1612f790e263007d47555b9fa11426.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8

FANTASTIC thread.  Love seeing these old pics.  I need to dig up some of my grandparents and great grandparents.  There's some classics for sure.  

And, why did every single black and white photograph with a description on the front have the EXACT same handwriting?  All caps, a little shaky with a right side lean. 

A few more…

I did some light restoration to this photo. Maternal great grandfather with bank president and cashier. I assume Bloomington or Victoria. 

image.thumb.jpeg.91c0df0e0cbad9fc30ce815802cb2a1c.jpeg

Maternal grandfather after a duck hunt. Likely near Rockport. 

image.jpeg.c1457cc9caeff51f12506047bf7a4742.jpeg

Paternal grandparents (right) in a cantina in Costa Rica (not sure if San José or Puntarenas). 

image.jpeg.91af2afe093fe82144f185dabe1731d7.jpeg

Grandfather with my dad in Costa Rica

image.jpeg.b246b6630687f6f70743bdf2bc020578.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1