Cool old pictures of your parents, grand parents, or family

Elvis

• 2 months later...

My great great grandmother

6BlOBccp_o.jpg

one of my earliest memories is watching my grandad shoot this deer. Older brother and I were in the back of the truck watching while he was posted up in front as the deer was running across the pasture. My great grandfather rolled up to the other end of the pasture on his four wheeler and caused the deer to stop just long enough for my grandfather to shoot it. My brother was yelling "fire" over and over again, which I'm sure helped steady my grandfather's aim. I remember when we drove up to it saying "it's still wiggling" as it's nerves were still firing off after being shot.

AQ6B6AvF_o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My grandmother had some neat pics where she traveled by ship from the US to Germany in the 1930s to visit cousins. She was relatively young at the time. A lot of the cousins she visited never made it through the 40s. I'm sure it was a hard journey from a small town in the south and I suspect it was relatively expensive. The pics of pre-war Germany were very interesting as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/26/2022 at 3:37 AM, po elvis said:

My granddad had a slightly sloped driveway that went into the garage. When he reached the edge of the driveway, he would turn off his green ford pinto and slowly coast into the garage to save the gas.

Probably to prevent it from spontaneously combusting while in the garage.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Pretty sure this is my mom, looking up at one of the defensive structures at our original family ranch house in the sticks of northern Mexico.  By then (probably late 1960s), it was in real disrepair, and was inhabited by a few of the ranch hands (family had built a newer place).  And yep, it was built as a full-on fortress because at the time of the original construction (and being way out in nowhere), indian raids were still a thing.

And if you lived in Houston in the early 70s, you know these shots (featuring my old man and me) are from "the time it snowed."

ray-charles-i-cant-see-shit.jpg

14 hours ago, RMac5 said:

My great great great…. Grandfather. He started a baptist church south of McGregor in the 1850’s. 

20A5A47A-F843-4C17-9EAB-AE74015E9B9E.png

I have ancestors that lived in Gatesville beginning around the 1870s-1880s.  A great great grandfather helped build a church there at least that's what I've been told.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

829D3809-E198-4DD6-909E-706E3E8B280D.jpeg.6179daf7bbe68f8be6ae52baa18746da.jpeg

Ruth-Anne and Lynn, they wear them cut-off britches
And then skinny little halters and they're second cousins to me
Man, I dont care, I want to get between them
With a great big 'ol hard-on
Like an ol' Bois D’arc fencepost
That you can hang a pipe rail gate from
Do some sister twisters till the cows come home
And we'll be having us a time…

18 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Found a lot of pictures today at a great aunts funeral. I'll post more later but 2 quick shares. 

Grandpa in Vietnam and great grandpa, my dad and I in Pleasant Grove 1989

20230325_131734.jpg

20230325_131953.jpg

Those are great pics... I hate to ask but does that mean grandpa didn't make it back from Nam?

On 3/22/2023 at 11:00 AM, BonzoMontreaux said:

I have ancestors that lived in Gatesville beginning around the 1870s-1880s.  A great great grandfather helped build a church there at least that's what I've been told.

That’s cool, they had to have known each other.

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 10:20 PM, dcbc said:

So I (born in the early 70s), had an older dad (born 1910).  My mom was his second wife.  I mention this so that the fact that there aren't a lot of "greats" in this equation makes more sense.  His side came over from Liverpool at some point.  They migrated across the midwest through Illinois to Nebraska and South Dakota by the late 1800s.

So my great aunt (my dad's mom's sister).  Was living in Nebraska and, at age 13, became in a family way and was kicked out of the house (nice).  Anyway, she was pretty industrious.  She changed her name to Dora Dufran, moved to Lead, SD, (yada yada yada)  and eventually opened a brothel.   Business was good, and she opened up two more across the state, one of which was "Diddlin' Dora's in Deadwood.  She was acquainted with and employed Calamity Jane and was friendly with Wild Bill Hickok.  She is portrayed by Melanie Griffith in Buffalo Girls and has a character based on her in Deadwood.  When the rat infestation hit the brothels, she bought a bunch of cats to deal with the problem, which supposedly is why the brothels were called "Cat Houses."  She is buried at Mount Moriah cemetery in Deadwood, and her grave is rad.

My dad moved to California in the early 1930s and later settled in Denver.  He moved to Texas in the 1940s.  Some pictures of him below.  He was a private pilot for most of his life.  The picture below is from a trip he made over the Andes when his company was building a pipeline in Argentina.  He was the pilot.  Balls as big as chu'ch bells.

doradufran.jpg?itok=S9ESkxo-

8089519_1563548120.jpg

Dad in Argentina

AJFCJa-Vv2-AUihptbt-YPY44kl-U-Rq-Iz-Tbvq

Dad in with business partners in front of global domination map.

AJFCJa-Wul9-p-IXor-SEICZ0p-NEaw8n7-YQQk-

Mom was a former Miss Houston.  She owned and operated a dance studio and was a model when they were set up on a blind date.  He took her to Vargo's in Houston.  She swore she'd never marry a man who drank.  He ordered a scotch and water before dinner.  She amended the rule.

AJFCJaXaF8FOOiBB53Z-7H6ochBF6GjOaf_0j3xY

This is great stuff, fascinating 

• Hook 'Em 1