Modern Masterpieces in Motion Pictures (2002-2020)

Eskimohorn

In what could be the last golden age of films, screened in theaters where strangers sit together and immerse themselves in stories, I’ve outlined this past era’s best works of art. This era is sandwiched between 9/11 and COVID. Unless something changes, this past era will be the last where movies are enjoyed primarily in public.

Probably left off a bunch, especially in some of the niche categories and international movies. It's indicative that I've watched them multiple times. If you disagree, make your own damn list. I've obviously had a bunch of time to kill.

Technical Marvels

In the age of lazy CGI, these movies spent extra time to film live action to great effect. Their diligence paid off as these movies will stand the test of time. Good to see craft captured on screen. You’ll see less and less of this, since it costs a lot of time and effort when compared with CGI. And less and less viewers care.

Master & Commander (2003)*

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Honorable Mention – 1917, Dunkirk, The Revenant, King Kong, Birdman, LOTR Two Towers

All-Time Villains

These movies were dominated by outstanding villains, all-time assholes, who you loved to see on-screen and even agreed with some of the time. Now, if you overlooked the other 66%, then you’re also a sociopath.

Gangs of New York (2002)

The Departed (2006)

There Will Be Blood (2007)

No Country for Old Men (2007)

Whiplash (2014)

Christopher Nolan Category

The Prestige (2006)

The Dark Knight (2008)

Inception (2010)

Honorable Mention: Interstellar (Didn’t stick the landing)

Comedy-ish

Straight-up comedies are rare. This era is dominated by genre-busters. Notice not a lot of recent additions.

Adaptation (2002)

Elf (2003)

Layer Cake (2004)

Tropic Thunder (2008)

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Honorable Mention: The Nice Guys, Jojo Rabbit, Game Night, The Big Short, Hot Fuzz, The Hangover, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Superbad, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Thank You for Smoking, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Anchorman, 40-Year Old Virgin

Sci-Fi

Children of Men (2006)*

Honorable Mention: Blade Runner 2049, Edge of Tomorrow, District 9, Serenity

Thriller-ish / Immersion

Very strong category. Some unbelievable movies here.

The Pianist (2002)*

The Aviator (2004)

Munich (2005)

Zodiac (2007)

127 Hours (2010)

Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy (2011)

The Martian (2015)

Honorable Mention: Captain Phillips, Sicario, History of Violence, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, American Gangster, Gone Baby Gone, Collateral, Zero Dark Thirty

Comics

Well, none I’d say are masterpieces, but some are close. They’re beating a dead horse now, but these are interesting or at least before they've been mass produced over and over again.

Honorable Mention: Deadpool & Deadpool 2, Iron Man, Thor: Ragnorak, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Watchmen, 300

Monsters

Another strong category. Some impressive movies here, that also bend genres.

28 Days Later…(2002)

Shawn of the Dead (2004)

Zombieland (2009)

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

Honorable Mention: Dawn of the Dead, A Quiet Place

Westerns

Probably missed some. I’m not a huge fan of the genre. Outside of The Searchers and Spaghetti Westerns, I don’t care for ones made before Unforgiven. Since then, we’ve had some interesting looks.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Honorable Mention: Open Range, True Grit

Sports

Also, probably missed some gimmes. And, these tend to illicit strong emotions. Sorry.

Seabiscuit (2003)*

Moneyball (2011)

Honorable Mention: Friday Night Lights, Cinderella Man

Toons

Pixel has changed the game. Probably missed tons here.

The Incredibles (2004)

Honorable Mention: Team America: World Police, Coco*, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Lego Movie

Talkies/Romcoms/Dramas/Misc

Tried to avoid Oscar-bait films here. These might need some seasoning before getting into Classic category. All could be iffy.

Lost in Translation (2003)

Love Actually (2003)

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Walk the Line (2005)

Frost/Nixon (2008)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)*

Milk (2008)

The Social Network (2010)

Midnight in Paris (2011)

Lincoln (2012)

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

Brooklyn (2015)

Phantom Thread (2017)

Sound of Metal (2019)

* Triggers allergies

• Hook 'Em 1

Get Out has to be in there somewhere.
Layer Cake is not a comedy. It does have the best opening sequence in the history of opening sequences.
The Hangover should be at or at least near the top of the comedy list.

I got Layer Cake as comedish more than thriller. The sequences where he’s about to get laid by the smokin Sienna Miller only to be abducted, the annoying girlfriend, Daniel Craig’s crackin jokes throughout, lots of dry humor, lots of elements of a thriller but misdirection.

I keep seeing the Inglourious Basterds love (and not just here) and every time I think of just how much better Django Unchained was, pound for pound, in every respect if if just barely in some categories (Waltz's characters are both A++).

And agree that JoJo Rabbit should be moved up the list. One of the best movies I've seen in the last 10 years.

I think the OG John Wick should be mentioned as it is both critically and rubes-like-us acclaimed as amazing, both in technical and stunt choreography and innovation as well a re-introduction or re-imagining of the pure play action film.

The thriller category was all meh for me.

The villains category I think Joaquin's Joker is such a far better villain than any on that list that I've only been able to stomach that movie 1.5x, which is a testament to this realistic sickness of the villain.

Sports: Moneyball was probably the best, I actually just rewatched it again a few weeks ago. I think it's hard to make an interesting sports movie because the emotions are so cut-and-dried to be impossible to be anything but cliche'd when the focus and conflicts and climaxes are all "on the field" and then the movies that aren't sound boring (like Will Smith's Concussion) and so I end up never seeing them.

Edited by HamsterHookah

21 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

In what could be the last golden age of films, screened in theaters where strangers sit together and immerse themselves in stories, I’ve outlined this past era’s best works of art. This era is sandwiched between 9/11 and COVID. Unless something changes, this past era will be the last where movies are enjoyed primarily in public.

Probably left off a bunch, especially in some of the niche categories and international movies. It's indicative that I've watched them multiple times. If you disagree, make your own damn list. I've obviously had a bunch of time to kill.

Technical Marvels

In the age of lazy CGI, these movies spent extra time to film live action to great effect. Their diligence paid off as these movies will stand the test of time. Good to see craft captured on screen. You’ll see less and less of this, since it costs a lot of time and effort when compared with CGI. And less and less viewers care.

Master & Commander (2003)*

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Honorable Mention – 1917, Dunkirk, The Revenant, King Kong, Birdman, LOTR Two Towers

All-Time Villains

These movies were dominated by outstanding villains, all-time assholes, who you loved to see on-screen and even agreed with some of the time. Now, if you overlooked the other 66%, then you’re also a sociopath.

Gangs of New York (2002)

The Departed (2006)

There Will Be Blood (2007)

No Country for Old Men (2007)

Whiplash (2014)

Christopher Nolan Category

The Prestige (2006)

The Dark Knight (2008)

Inception (2010)

Honorable Mention: Interstellar (Didn’t stick the landing)

Comedy-ish

Straight-up comedies are rare. This era is dominated by genre-busters. Notice not a lot of recent additions.

Adaptation (2002)

Elf (2003)

Layer Cake (2004)

Tropic Thunder (2008)

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Honorable Mention: The Nice Guys, Jojo Rabbit, Game Night, The Big Short, Hot Fuzz, The Hangover, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Superbad, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Thank You for Smoking, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Anchorman, 40-Year Old Virgin

Sci-Fi

Children of Men (2006)*

Honorable Mention: Blade Runner 2049, Edge of Tomorrow, District 9, Serenity

Thriller-ish / Immersion

Very strong category. Some unbelievable movies here.

The Pianist (2002)*

The Aviator (2004)

Munich (2005)

Zodiac (2007)

127 Hours (2010)

Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy (2011)

The Martian (2015)

Honorable Mention: Captain Phillips, Sicario, History of Violence, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, American Gangster, Gone Baby Gone, Collateral, Zero Dark Thirty

Comics

Well, none I’d say are masterpieces, but some are close. They’re beating a dead horse now, but these are interesting or at least before they've been mass produced over and over again.

Honorable Mention: Deadpool & Deadpool 2, Iron Man, Thor: Ragnorak, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Watchmen, 300

Monsters

Another strong category. Some impressive movies here, that also bend genres.

28 Days Later…(2002)

Shawn of the Dead (2004)

Zombieland (2009)

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

Honorable Mention: Dawn of the Dead, A Quiet Place

Westerns

Probably missed some. I’m not a huge fan of the genre. Outside of The Searchers and Spaghetti Westerns, I don’t care for ones made before Unforgiven. Since then, we’ve had some interesting looks.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Honorable Mention: Open Range, True Grit

Sports

Also, probably missed some gimmes. And, these tend to illicit strong emotions. Sorry.

Seabiscuit (2003)*

Moneyball (2011)

Honorable Mention: Friday Night Lights, Cinderella Man

Toons

Pixel has changed the game. Probably missed tons here.

The Incredibles (2004)

Honorable Mention: Team America: World Police, Coco*, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Lego Movie

Talkies/Romcoms/Dramas/Misc

Tried to avoid Oscar-bait films here. These might need some seasoning before getting into Classic category. All could be iffy.

Lost in Translation (2003)

Love Actually (2003)

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Walk the Line (2005)

Frost/Nixon (2008)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)*

Milk (2008)

The Social Network (2010)

Midnight in Paris (2011)

Lincoln (2012)

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

Brooklyn (2015)

Phantom Thread (2017)

Sound of Metal (2019)

* Triggers allergies

The Revenant is widely considered a Western. Hostiles should be on our list as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If the idea of the list is to acknowledge movies that were enjoyed together as an audience and highlight that experience then The Avengers needs a mention (any or all of them). 

Not only was that film the first of its kind but it was pretty much tailor-made to be experienced in a packed theater. 

And it had a huge impact on the industry. For better or worse. 

• Like 1

good post that you clearly put a lot of thought into.  imo, the best three movies of the past 20 years (really the past 15 years as none of these were released before 2007) are:
No Country for Old Men
The Wolf of Wall Street
Inglourious Basterds 

I liked the Wolf if Wall Street, but it was overly long. You could probably cut 30 minutes and not miss a beat. Not as fat as the Irishman.

Your very first category was technical marvels and going out of their way to film real stuff, and you don't even mention Top Gun Maverick...

A 2022 movie in a 2002-2020 list probably wouldnt deserve a mention except that it was thrilling to see a movie like that in a crowded theater. Now that theater is closed (Arbor).

OP outlines the strongest argument that the last 20 years were not a golden age.

(Side: OMW to download Gangs of New York because this is the second time this week someone mentioned that movie and I might be remembering it wrong.)

Edited by BoomMF

15 hours ago, iodeac said:

Guess I need to watch The Prestige again. It's been years and I hardly remember it.

Talk to me about how Interstellar didn't stick the landing. It's one of my top 5 favorite movies

The Prestige is a perfect movie.

25 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

OP outlines the strongest argument that the last 20 years were not a golden age.

(Side: OMW to download Gangs of New York because this is the second time this week someone mentioned that movie and I might be remembering it wrong.)

I would bet a huge sum of money that Gangs of New York was older than 20 years.

vrka014a29o81.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=161df4c60ffc1eefeec28924fbce0f3fbf5cf4b6

Yeah forgot Michael Clayton and Get Out. One sign of a great movie is that every scene is valuable. And if it’s not, its an exceptional scene - like the improve scenes you sometimes see in Scorsese movies for example.

In Michael Clayton, thing every scene is pivotal and builds off the next. Get Out was also an amazingly crafted film.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I keep seeing the Inglourious Basterds love (and not just here) and every time I think of just how much better Django Unchained was, pound for pound, in every respect if if just barely in some categories (Waltz's characters are both A++).

this is not a good take for several reasons, the top being your point about Waltz.  he was good in Django.  he was transcendent in IB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

this is not a good take for several reasons, the top being your point about Waltz.  he was good in Django.  he was transcendent in IB.

Okay. I thought he was excellent in both, for different reasons. Django Unchained overall was the better and more interesting movie to me and Leo D. as the villain was a masterclass (again, as was Waltz in IB). Maybe I'm splitting hairs.

Spider Man into the Spiderverse (2018)

I found Up to be good, but also overrated generally. Ratatouille was good but I've yet to hear anyone deconstruct why it's considered ground breaking or a marvel. Wall-E is a good answer.

Personally I venture outside of Pixar to find really interesting and good animation projects: the Kung Fu Panda trilogy is probably the greatest of all animated sequel/trilogies and the first Despicable Me I'd put up against any Pixar film. Rango is one of my favorite animation films but probably the best one I've seen recently is Spider Man into the Spiderverse (2018)