52-80

Eyesight poll  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your main means of sight

• Au naturale
    • Via contact lenses
    • Via corrective lenses ie glasses
    • Surgery correction

Lasik in 2004 let me have about 10 years of no glasses.  Then the readers only, started at .50 correction, got progressively stronger.  Now at 2.75 for my readers.  Started needing regular glasses for driving at night about 4 years ago, now I'm full on with regular progressive lenses for most tasks.  

It's a combination of things for me. I can see functionally with no lenses, my right eye is always a little fuzzy and I'm nearsighted in my left, but close vision is shitty, too. I carry around two pairs of glasses all the time, one prescription and some medium-plus reading glasses to see my phone and read things fairly well. I need stronger glasses for some things, and weaker glasses are almost like prescription glasses in a lot of situations. I can't do bifocals because they feck with my head, makes it seem like I'm in water up to my eyeballs and I can't get used to them. I also have shitty vision on gray cloudy days and poor lighting, contrast is shitty, and I have some color deficiencies, especially in those shitty light situations. 

So in any situation, it's a pain in the ass, but I get by.

Edited by DougO

I am blind AF without my glasses.

I joke around that I can see shapes and colors without them; but in reality, I can barely read that 3rd line on the eye chart bare naked eyesight.

Edited by slorch

I've been wearing progressives for the last several years after trying to get away with just readers.  I got tired of taking glasses on and off or having them rest on my nose.  The real game changer was finally getting the same prescription on sunglasses.  It's nice to be able to read things without needing to switch from sunglasses to progressives. 

I have amblyopia (aka lazy eye) in my left eye. I was at 20/400 vision when they caught it in 3rd grade. Did a bunch of visual therapy stuff for a couple years and now I'm at like 20/80 in that eye. I wear glasses while reading or on a computer but only so it doesn't weaken again. My vision is still permanently blurry. Luckily it doesn't have any physical issues like drooping or wandering so I got that going for me, which is nice.

I'm fucked though if something happened to my right eye.

16 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

I have amblyopia (aka lazy eye) in my left eye. I was at 20/400 vision when they caught it in 3rd grade. Did a bunch of visual therapy stuff for a couple years and now I'm at like 20/80 in that eye. I wear glasses while reading or on a computer but only so it doesn't weaken again. My vision is still permanently blurry. Luckily it doesn't have any physical issues like drooping or wandering so I got that going for me, which is nice.

I'm fucked though if something happened to my right eye.

• Like 1

I was terribly nearsighted (another one who couldn’t read a digital clock on a bedside table) until I had LASIK in 2000. Lived life blissfully free of corrective lenses until 2015 when I noticed that I had trouble shifting focus between near and far.  

I now have minor correction for near and far with progressive lenses.  I still see pretty well without glasses.  I can swim and play sports without them and can even watch TV and read subtitles from across the living room. But I wear glasses 95% of the time just to see a bit more clearly.  I don’t mind them so much now that I don’t absolutely depend on them.  

• Like 1

Contacts since I was 16.  20/600 vision both eyes.  Had ICL surgery when I was 25.  LASIK or PRK was not an option because cornea was too thin.  Never heard of ICL until it was presented as an option.  In and out of surgery in 2 hours.  Took maybe 10 minutes per eye.  It was a scary 10 minutes having your eye get cut open with a laser and then a syringe to shove contacts inside your eyeballs.  

8 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Contacts since I was 16.  20/600 vision both eyes.  Had ICL surgery when I was 25.  LASIK or PRK was not an option because cornea was too thin.  Never heard of ICL until it was presented as an option.  In and out of surgery in 2 hours.  Took maybe 10 minutes per eye.  It was a scary 10 minutes having your eye get cut open with a laser and then a syringe to shove contacts inside your eyeballs.  

How are the ICLs? Any issues since you got them?  Good when you’re  in the water and active? This is the really the only option for me.

PRK in 1997.  Have to wear readers now for anything up close.  Front sight is hard to find so transitioning to RMR for carry.  Last test was a few years ago resulted in 20/15.   it has been that for many years.   I suspect it has tapered off since the last test and now is 20/20 to 20/30.  This thread reminds me to schedule an exam.  

started wearing glasses in 3rd grade.  last Rx for glasses was -10.25, -10.75.  turned down as a lasik candidate by two of the wong bros in austin. mann eye said i'd be fine so i went with them.  had lasik in 201...5?  after first surgery was at -2.xx, -1.75.  after second surgery was at -.75, -.5.  now i'm at -1, -1.25.  

before lasik i couldn't read without my glasses.  doesn't matter how close i held the book to my eyes, i couldn't read it.  now i do most everything without glasses -  nighttime driving and playing baseball are the only thing i wear my glasses for.  best $5400 i've ever spent.

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

started wearing glasses in 3rd grade.  last Rx for glasses was -10.25, -10.75.  turned down as a lasik candidate by two of the wong bros in austin. mann eye said i'd be fine so i went with them.  had lasik in 201...5?  after first surgery was at -2.xx, -1.75.  after second surgery was at -.75, -.5.  now i'm at -1, -1.25.  

before lasik i couldn't read without my glasses.  doesn't matter how close i held the book to my eyes, i couldn't read it.  now i do most everything without glasses -  nighttime driving and playing baseball are the only thing i wear my glasses for.  best $5400 i've ever spent.

So the Wongs were not right?

related bitch.  Why do you have to have a prescription to order contacts?  I have the box for the contacts that has all the relevant shit on it but I need a prescription so the Dr. can make a shit ton of mark up.  Ordering online (if I had a prescription is $150.  Getting from Doc is $300ish 

• Rage+1 2