Outstanding Acting (way different than their regular roles)

Superhero

9 hours ago, bborange said:

Don't think many would have thought of Jeff Daniels in this role based on his past work.   He showed he was outstanding in a comedy.   His agent thought it would kill his career.

dumb-and-dumber-toilet.gif

Playing a super serious psycho heavy in Godless.  And he killed it.

He's quietly become one of my favorite actors, and one of America's best, imo.

• Like 1

I don’t think you can include character actors like Philip Seymour Hoffman because they don’t have a typical role. They’re chameleons. Every role is unique. Maybe there’s a counterexample but I can’t think of any two Hoffman characters that resembled one another.

I just rewatched Boogie Nights recently. He was great as Scotty.

He was great in everything. Even in a shitty movie like Synecdoche, NY.

Compare that to his role in Along Came Polly.

And Charlie Wilson’s War.

And Doubt.

Actors like PSH don’t have a “regular role.”

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think some good points being made about some actors not having a type to which they're cast. For actors like Hoffman and Oldman, they're free to do a broad spectrum of roles. Tom Cruise as the agent is a great example of something unforeseen for him.

I'll also add that I don't think Forrest Gump for Hanks or Rainman for Dustin Hoffman are particularly difficult roles. It's more of a mimic job than acting. Just don't go full retard and you're safe. The audience eats it up.

• Like 1

Another PSH clip. How could I forget this. It’s one of the best scenes in one of my favorite films.

And while we’re at it, here’s another from Along Came Polly with both PSH and Alec Baldwin. Here Hoffman’s character is acting so it’s sort of meta. (I know. I just blew your mind, right?)

• Haha 1