NFL Week 16

shadow_operative2.0

242 million, I just heard Cowher say, with 161 million of that guaranteed.
Holy.  Smokes.
What has happened to Wilson?  I don't buy for a moment all the talk I'm seeing on twitter/elsewhere that he was overrated from the get go.  He played at a high level leading Seattle to two Super Bowls, and they absolutely should've won both.  
I've heard there's a lot of clash between him and the coaches regarding the offense,  but that doesn't explain how horrible he's been.
He didn't lead them. Their defense did. Once that defense disbanded and they made him the face of the team, they are the Dallas cowboys 2.0. A few wild card wins and nothing else. He's never been great and one to lead a team himself.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
4 hours ago, Augustus said:
242 million, I just heard Cowher say, with 161 million of that guaranteed.
Holy.  Smokes.
What has happened to Wilson?  I don't buy for a moment all the talk I'm seeing on twitter/elsewhere that he was overrated from the get go.  He played at a high level leading Seattle to two Super Bowls, and they absolutely should've won both.  
I've heard there's a lot of clash between him and the coaches regarding the offense,  but that doesn't explain how horrible he's been.

He didn't lead them. Their defense did. Once that defense disbanded and they made him the face of the team, they are the Dallas cowboys 2.0. A few wild card wins and nothing else. He's never been great and one to lead a team himself.

He also had peak Beast Mode breaking defenses in half.  

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Mayfield is barely a top 40 QB but he’s miles ahead of Russ and costs the minimum.  Denver set themselves back a decade with that trade/contract.  Yikes 

This will supplant the Herschel Walker trade as the biggest debacle in NFL history. The draft picks are one thing, but they're in salary cap hell with no easy way out.

The think about the Walker trade is that it set the Cowboys up for a decade with multiple HOF players. I doubt that’ll happen for the Seahawks. 

Also, Hackett is really pushing Meyer for the worst NFL coach of all time. The team has quit as the offense can’t find a single thing that they do well. That’s the same with both QBs. Other coaches have been able to elevate much worse talent (eg Daboll). 

13 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Also, Hackett is really pushing Meyer for the worst NFL coach of all time. The team has quit as the offense can’t find a single thing that they do well.

I think Lou Holtz and his 1976 season where he quit with a game remaining has to be on any Worst Season list. The Jets that year beat winless Tampa and twice beat two-win Buffalo. 

3 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Brady looks washed this year; unimpressed with him 90% of this game.

That said I’m 90% sure this mediocre Bucs team will beat the Cowboys in wildcard game and I’ll cry.

I don’t root for the cowboys very often but will in that game. 

The Seattle model is the best path to Super Bowl. Adequate QB on cheap rookie contract. Strong OL and running game. And lots of killers in defense. Their decline started with his first big contract and first dismantling the legion of Boom.

So Denver's GM makes one of the stupidest trades in NFL history for a washed up qb, for two years worth of first and second round picks and then some, and when it doesn't turn out so great, he fires the head coach that he hired last season.

What a dumpsterfire.

Edited by DougO

11 minutes ago, DougO said:

So Denver's GM makes one of the stupidest trades in NFL history for a washed up qb, for two years worth of first and second round picks and then some, and when it doesn't turn out so great, he fires the head coach that he hired last season.

What a dumpsterfire.

Hackett has made multiple terrible game decisions which have been widely ridiculed by both the press and the fans. He was in way over his head and deserved to be fired. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Hackett has made multiple terrible game decisions which have been widely ridiculed by both the press and the fans. He was in way over his head and deserved to be fired. 

No one argued otherwise.  

The observation/argument is that it's bullshit that the GM is keeping his job at this point.  He decided to both hire Hackett and trade for Wilson.  He should absolutely be gone as well, and Wilson gets to hang around and be a punching bag while he counts his money.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I haven't been a Seahawks fan since they went to the NFC, and I always kinda liked the Denver franchise, until recent years. But I hope Seattle takes that early draft pick and gets their franchise qb for the next 10 years just to shove it in the face of Denver's top brass. They're playing with house money, and using Denver's pick to get the qb Denver should have had by building the right way instead of throwing away their future. Denver has been embarrassing for a number of years now. Their fan base deserves better.

I'm not crazy about Seattle loading up again, though.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Totally surprised that Hackett made it this deep into the season.

Are you saying he couldn’t hack it? 

A bigger issue would be Wilson…who when left to cook on his own shows he can’t run an offense. Which is crazy. To have been in the NFL this long and have zero idea how to read defenses. Pete did a great deal (while also taking a ton of crap from sports media about not letting Russ cook) to hide Wilson’s deficiencies. So much so that Wilson falsely believed he was a badass. The tape shows he can’t run an offense and can’t read defenses and while he can still sling it on the run…that’s about it. Pretty shocking actually. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Colts thing is just hard to watch. I get tanking. But this is just bizarre. I figured they roll with Sam once he became the starter and let him play it out the last 7-8 games and see what they have there. Then back to Ryan and now Foles…I guess Irsay really wants to prove Saturday is worthy to be the coach? It’s pretty confusing. Green Bay is playing with house money in a way. I bet Aaron is gone next year (another team) and I think they know what they have in Love even though he’s almost a phantom at this point. They have in their minds their successor to Aaron so why not just let him play the year out and see if they can reach the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

A bigger issue would be Wilson…who when left to cook on his own shows he can’t run an offense. Which is crazy. To have been in the NFL this long and have zero idea how to read defenses. Pete did a great deal (while also taking a ton of crap from sports media about not letting Russ cook) to hide Wilson’s deficiencies. So much so that Wilson falsely believed he was a badass. The tape shows he can’t run an offense and can’t read defenses and while he can still sling it on the run…that’s about it. Pretty shocking actually. 

Pete and Wilson had a great thing going. WTF happened?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

When his dad was our coach at Pitt we had buttons made up that said: Paul Can’t Hack-It

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The Colts thing is just hard to watch. I get tanking. But this is just bizarre. I figured they roll with Sam once he became the starter and let him play it out the last 7-8 games and see what they have there. Then back to Ryan and now Foles…I guess Irsay really wants to prove Saturday is worthy to be the coach? It’s pretty confusing. Green Bay is playing with house money in a way. I bet Aaron is gone next year (another team) and I think they know what they have in Love even though he’s almost a phantom at this point. They have in their minds their successor to Aaron so why not just let him play the year out and see if they can reach the playoffs.

I hope they do not throw Sam into the dumpster fire. Let the season play out, get rid of Ryan, then build around Sam in the offseason.

Edited by Enemy07

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Brilliant fucking start to this one. 

There have been some horrendously awful games on TV this year.

The Colts are also hard to watch because of the stupid fucking blue pants. They have one of the most classic uniforms, yeah, “let’s fuck it up”. Stupidity, especially when playing the beautiful Chargers helmet/pants combo.

Brilliant throw there my man.

2 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

Pete and Wilson had a great thing going. WTF happened?

Pete and the Seahawks brass found someone dumb enough to pay a premium for a clearly diminished Wilson?  They had maybe 1-2 years left of one-and-done in the playoffs, then Wilson's contract would be up or they'd be stuck waiting until the cap hit was bearable, which is what Denver is set to do now.

43 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

George Paton should be fired asap as well. He engineered the awful trade for Wilson, which costs them cash in a fat contract, and a shitpile of draft pick. In his 2nd season. A moron. The CEO is heading up the coaching search with the assistance of Paton.

I didn’t have my reading glasses on when i started reading your post. I was really looking forward to what General Patton would do to anyone associated with the Broncos. Otherwise, I agree with what you wrote.

10 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

I hope they do not throw Sam into the dumpster fire. Let the season play out, get rid of Ryan, then build around Sam in the offseason.

They'll probably pick a QB in the first round and build around him.  If they believed in Sam, they wouldn't have benched him after one bad game.  Should've just stuck with him and seen what they had.  But yeah, the Colts, especially without JT, are a dumpster fire.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1