F35 Shitbird, F22 Badass and similar

Parliament

16 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Yes.  Cover for the lift fan…well the first one is, second canopy was the pilot noping out after almost making the full 8 seconds. 

I've seen some things that suggest the plane with auto-eject in certain circumstances. If true, I guess that could have happened here? 

25 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Yes.  Cover for the lift fan…well the first one is, second canopy was the pilot noping out after almost making the full 8 seconds. 

Yeah, I correctly interpreted the ejection.  

That must have hurt, on the way out AND on the intersection with Mother Earth.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
That's the kind of hard hitting analysis I come to Surly for.  I looked it up myself.  The B-21 has a slightly smaller wingspan, can carry more types of weapons systems,   and can be refueled in mid-air.  It's also cheaper to build and operate.

What, the .gov came up with something to save money?

On 12/8/2023 at 10:59 PM, Rimbo said:

That was a great lecture.  The sports analogy at the end was fascinating.  He talked about being able to see an alerion deflection before an enemy actually starts the turn.  He compared it to sports athletes that can read their opponent with micro movements or watching the eyes. 

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

I didn't watch the video.  Can the F22 actually, literally see stuff like that?

It's not about the aircraft.  The discussion was in the context of a drone vs. a live pilot who is in the cockpit.  And in a dogfighting scenario, the human pilot can see the movements in the control surfaces, which will cause a change in the orientation of the opposing aircraft before the aircraft actually reacts to that change in its own control surfaces.

As an aside, that has to make it difficult for the pilot of a 4th Gen. fighter in any dogfight with a 5th Gen fighter, because the control surface movement would be so different that it would really throw off the pilot of the 4th Gen fighter.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/7/2023 at 5:53 PM, Parliament said:

Not when you figure in the cost of the Tru Coat and long term warranty.

On 12/8/2023 at 6:37 PM, Armybrat said:

What about the undercoating?

Now, can I interest you in the paint protection plan?  These Lockheeds will rust up on you like a...dammit Gil, just close the deal!

On 12/14/2023 at 7:41 PM, elfenix said:

F-19?

f-19stealtyitaleriboxart2-1.thumb.jpg.d3ab494b0a5e41cf8892022598ec025e.jpg

F19_Stealth_Fighter_cover.jpg.e27115bbd1e8b9be37d1dbc8ffec3ac2.jpg

When you're ever hard-pressed to find someone to keep a top-secret military weapons system on the down low, always, always...count on Italeri.  Because everybody knows Italians never talk a lot.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 2:18 PM, kevwun said:

That's the kind of hard hitting analysis I come to Surly for.  I looked it up myself.  The B-21 has a slightly smaller wingspan, can carry more types of weapons systems,   and can be refueled in mid-air.  It's also cheaper to build and operate.

The B2 could be refueled midair as well.  Beyond the basics you noted, no one in the public domain really knows but some key suspected changes:

- Better stealth through improved materials, smaller size, and the planform is what the B2 was supposed to be (removal of extra sawtooth/duckbill tail) and thus higher altitude too

- Massive systems upgrade…beyond a suite of broadband sensors embedded into the exterior and more compute, entire thing is modular to enable more rapid addition/upgrade of capabilities.  Supposed to act like a flying network node along the lines of the F35 + electronic attack + control drone swarms 

- Expected to be much easier to maintain and deploy, and they better follow through with their build out numbers so it doesn’t become another low density, high demand, priceless asset like the B2 did.  

- A lot of the breakthrough is likely stuff you can’t see…like details on burying the intake / hiding the exhaust signature, how they integrate the sensors into the skin of the thing, latest composite tech, etc.  

The general idea is it’s not just a bomber, but a flying C3 node directing a collection of manned and unmanned assets while simultaneously vacuuming up ELINT data, interrupting enemy radar/comms, and attacking targets itself.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 2