Learn me on a whole beef tenderloin on a ceramic grill

Brisketexan

So, old man bought a nice prime beef tenderloin, we were gonna do it for Xmas, but I put it in the freezer to save for new year’s dinner.

I have a Primo XL, and am still learning it. I used it to reverse sear steaks for Xmas dinner, which turned out great. Should I take a similar approach, putting it in the indirect side at 225 or so for probably 30-45 mins, to get it to 110 internal, then remove, open up vents to get the fire to 550+, then sear over the fire for a few mins per side to get it to 125 or so for medium rare?

Anyone with experience got words of wisdom? It’s a gorgeous hunk of beef, I wanna do it justice.

Maybe make a nice herb butter to go over it, some horseradish sauce to accompany?

Did one yesterday.  I smoked it at 250 until it hit 120.  Let it rest a bit then seared in a cast iron pan with beef tallow for a couple minutes each side.  Served with horseradish sauce from the prime rib thread and also made a chimichurri sauce, see below.  I made both sauces a day earlier and they tasted much better when served.

¼ cup hot water
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 ⅓ cups fresh parsley leaves
⅔ cup fresh cilantro leaves
6 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine hot water, oregano, and salt in small bowl; let stand for 5 minutes to soften oregano. Pulse parsley, cilantro, garlic, and pepper flakes in food processor until coarsely chopped, about 10 pulses. Add water mixture and vinegar and pulse briefly to combine. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and slowly whisk in oil until incorporated and mixture is emulsified. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.

• Hook 'Em 2

Did one on Christmas Eve.  Smoked at 250 until it reached 125* and then seared on Weber Kettle over a mixture of lump charcoal and pecan chunks.  I rubbed mine with roasted garlic olive oil and then seasoned equally with kosher salt, 16 mesh black pepper, and Meat Church Holy Cow.  Turned out great.

On the Kamado, I use a mixture of lump charcoal and wood chunks soaked in water for at least 24 hours.  Soaking the wood chunks for 24 hours is the only way l have been able to get the flavor of wood smoke with the Kamado.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, obigbo said:

Did one yesterday.  I smoked it at 250 until it hit 120.  Let it rest a bit then seared in a cast iron pan with beef tallow for a couple minutes each side.  Served with horseradish sauce from the prime rib thread and also made a chimichurri sauce, see below.  I made both sauces a day earlier and they tasted much better when served.

¼ cup hot water
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 ⅓ cups fresh parsley leaves
⅔ cup fresh cilantro leaves
6 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine hot water, oregano, and salt in small bowl; let stand for 5 minutes to soften oregano. Pulse parsley, cilantro, garlic, and pepper flakes in food processor until coarsely chopped, about 10 pulses. Add water mixture and vinegar and pulse briefly to combine. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and slowly whisk in oil until incorporated and mixture is emulsified. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.

"about 10 pulses" is what I gave South Austin's mom

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s the jar I keep on hand in the fridge.

Beaver.

896d6205-39e6-4010-9944-150c15bfc403_tex

This is what I do:

Cover the entire roast with sea salt and out it in a rack, uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours.

Take the roast out of the fridge 90 minutes before cooking.

Put it in the oven at 250 until it hits 120 internal. That’ll take 60-90 minutes.

Let it rest on the counter while you get the grill blazing fucking hot.

Make sure you have some long tongs and a glove on.

Put that roast on the grill and turn constantly. Don’t let it set more than 20 seconds before turning.

In about 5 minutes, you’ll have a perfectly crusted tenderloin reading around 130 degrees and no overcooked sections.

Let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and sprinkle with flaky salt.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bringing this back to the top, but not just for ceramic, but for pretty much any type of grill etc... I've been researching it and it seems people do it all types of ways, from reserve sear, to searing it before cooking up to temp. Have seen where some people just smoke it at around 275 up to temp without any searing. Have read where you just roast it on your pit at around 350 or so. Scary.