Sovereign Citizen Thread

tx 3 putt

Gold fringe on flags, admirality courts, red ink, your body is a "vessel" or somesuch, your name in all caps in legal briefs means that really isn't you.  That's all I have.

I had a former boss who was was into this shit 23 years ago or so.  He bragged about not paying taxes, had a "universal" drivers license, all that.  I have no idea what his whereabouts are today, but he would be fully onboard with Trump; shit, he might have even participated in J6.

r/amibeingdetained

6 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Nuke this thread. Having represented a few adherents, SC foolishness is simply a scam aimed at those whose intelligence rates between plain dumb and truly regarded.

I want to see them twist off about admiralty law. Tell us some stories.

From the subreddit. Seen in Houston 

4wbz6xmn7j5a1.jpg

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I know we have some here, please explain it to us. Some here might be interested in joining the movement. 

There is no one interested in joining the movement and there aren't any of these fucking idiots left here. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

r/amibeingdetained

I want to see them twist off about admiralty law. Tell us some stories.

All my stories about them are boring and dumb. Family case a SC wanted transferred to The Hague. Traffic case appealed de novo to County Court then to the appellate level because the offense was listed in the transportation code not the penal code. Another idiot accused me of failing to get him a bond … while sitting in my office 30 minutes after I was appointed to represent him. Another couple I told off as much as it took until they backed off. It helps when judges refuse to replace me with another lawyer. They do dumb shit for dumb reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Gold fringe on flags, admirality courts, red ink, your body is a "vessel" or somesuch, your name in all caps in legal briefs means that really isn't you.  That's all I have.

I had a former boss who was was into this shit 23 years ago or so.  He bragged about not paying taxes, had a "universal" drivers license, all that.  I have no idea what his whereabouts are today, but he would be fully onboard with Trump; shit, he might have even participated in J6.

A guy who built a house for me 20+ years ago was telling me about friend of his who was a "tax patriot."  The friend said there as no law that actually gave the IRS the ability to tax people.  I found this interesting given that so many people willingly pay their taxes.  

But I didn't agree with him or argue the point.  I did, however, start to pay even greater attention to his pay requests and lien releases.  

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Family case a SC wanted transferred to The Hague. 

24 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Traffic case appealed de novo to County Court then to the appellate level because the offense was listed in the transportation code not the penal code. 

tumblr_mpa3w8sbGL1ry46hlo1_500.gif

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

A guy who built a house for me 20+ years ago was telling me about friend of his who was a "tax patriot."  The friend said there as no law that actually gave the IRS the ability to tax people.  I found this interesting given that so many people willingly pay their taxes.  

But I didn't agree with him or argue the point.  I did, however, start to pay even greater attention to his pay requests and lien releases.  

My dad went to some kook seminar about 40+ years ago that said the same thing. They passed out pens with ink that, according to them, wouldn't show up on microfilm.  IF you were foolish enough to fill out a tax return, you should use that pen. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

There is no one interested in joining the movement and there aren't any of these fucking idiots left here. 

Hold your horses there. 

I hear that Sovereign Citizens can driver anywhere without a license... and that they don't have to follow Police orders.   

How cool is that Club. 

Seriously, we do need some people to join their movement to keep YouTube stocked with Sovereign Citizen vs Police videos.   Its pretty much the only time I'm guarantied to cheer for the police.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Hold your horses there. 

I hear that Sovereign Citizens can driver anywhere without a license... and that they don't have to follow Police orders.   

How cool is that Club. 

Seriously, we do need some people to join their movement to keep YouTube stocked with Sovereign Citizen vs Police videos.   Its pretty much the only time I'm guarantied to cheer for the police.

texags.com

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yes, it is a common feature that they don't recognize the ability of the state to tell them what they have to do to operate a vehicle. There are a ton of videos. 

40 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Friend from high school got into this shit and didn't renew his license after getting into the movement, didn't have his car inspected/registered/insured.  He got in a bad accident and learned how valuable that things like insurance, etc. are.  It's been several years, and I don't know what the financial damage was, but I know it was hefty.

But he sure showed the government, even as he had to pay out the ass for the lawsuit against him.

The best vids are the SCs who want to argue with local cops about how the articles of confederation (1777) are the real laws of the land. The cop giving you a speeding ticket is only asking you to sign the ticket.   Fast fwd and the cops with his arriving back up are breaking the driver window and pulling the driver out.

while some SCs are well versed in their beliefs and can provide detail information, many SCs cannot string together a coherent sentence.

and while most SCs are most likely harmless in terms of violence, other SCs have proven otherwise. Cops are extremely vigilant when running into them, for good reason.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/12/27/moorish-americans-gun-range-maryland/

Yet around the same time, county officials came up against a new challenge. It was heralded by the filing of perplexing documents — adorned with symbols including the star and crescent and the pyramid-tip “Eye of Providence” that appears on the back of the dollar bill — asserting that the dispute over Bell’s land was subject to the terms of an 1836 treaty between the United States and Morocco.

9 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Hardly any of your laws apply to me but all the rights do.

image.gif.a4a36fd629da890a9e86ba4717110890.gif

If anyone wants to truly gauge how intellectually bankrupt the SC movement is, understand one thing: Kent Hovind is one of those people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't forget this book from around the turn of the millennium. Not exactly Sovereign Citizen, more like Sovereign Capitalist.

-- The book has had a couple of different subtitles, the latest with "Information Age" promises of technological sovereignty beyond the nation-state (note: the new intro by Peter Thiel). Sovereign Citizen and Sovereign Capitalist (and Sovereign Crypto) are all from the same general utopian dream born of 1960s libertarian philosophy, cyber-utopians of the 1980s-1990s, and the rise of the internet.

SovInd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, hpslugga said:

image.gif.a4a36fd629da890a9e86ba4717110890.gif

If anyone wants to truly gauge how intellectually bankrupt the SC movement is, understand one thing: Kent Hovind is one of those people. 

Who?

In 1998, he created his Dr. Dino web site and began producing articles and selling video tapes, books, and fossil replicas.[3] Prior to his incarceration, Hovind had numerous speaking engagements (around 700 in 2004[5]) at churches, private schools, and other venues each year, in addition to hosting a daily internet radio talk show and establishing Dinosaur Adventure Land in Pensacola, Florida. In 1999, his son Eric Hovind began traveling to present his arguments and seminars.[6][7] Kent and Jo divorced in 2016.[8]

250px-PatriotU_Crop.jpg

Patriot University

In 1988 and 1991 respectively, Hovind received a master's degree and doctorate in Christian Education through correspondence from (also unaccredited) Patriot University in Colorado Springs, Colorado.[notes 1][9][10] Patriot University is a diploma mill.[11][12]

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

When I worked at this nuclear power plant, one of my coworkers was named Doug. His wife worked there too in accounting.  He was pretty deep into all that nonsense. He has not paid taxes in years because something something - it was illegal. While he made a shit ton of money, it was not gold, which was the only proper specie and so he did not owe taxes on non-gold. He also had some goofy statement, tacked above his cubicle, saying that this was his “freehold” and government had no jurisdiction over him because something something. I told him that he would likely go to jail, and walked away, while he was explaining that courts do not have jurisdiction over him.

I left the nuke business, went to law school and found myself in the federal district court house, looking for the place where I would be sworn in to the local federal bar. I ran into Doug. Doug was there for his sentencing hearing for his criminal tax evasion conviction.   He told me that his wife would be sentenced the following week.

Doug was a pretty cerebral guy and he read a lot. That was one of my first real indications that just because someone is smart m, and just because someone is well read that those qualities somehow protect them from going down the same rabbit hole that only stupid gullible tools would. 

Like I say, it really surprised me then because Doug was really smart. Now it seems I turn on the TV and every other person is some idiot like the My Pillow guy or some successful business person or attorney or Doctor who spews the most insane garbage you can imagine.   I think that those type of people gravitate to things like Trump-ism and sovereign citizens.

My theory now is that these are just selfish assholes who hear what they want to hear. 

When you really want to believe something, that wanting can turn anything into a credible source. "This dude on youtube said that I don't owe taxes as long as I say or do the following..." 

And with evading taxes, I'm fairly certain that no one goes to jail quickly so initially I bet it seems like it's working. The IRS is slow but they don't forget. I don't see how a W2 worker can get away with tax evasion without some fairly big lies.

FYI, humorous judge dealing with a sovereign citizen.

• Haha 2

Fun fact! The IRS used to have an “illegal tax protestor” designation that they would put in these asshole’s files if their returns contained indicators of being sovereign citizens— crazy legal arguments and signing with a red thumbprint and shit.

But in the 1990s the GOP (who else) passed a law prohibiting them from using the designation, somehow tying it to religious freedom (of course). 

And there’s a direct line between this shit and the GOP wing that spreads shit like “87K armed agents” and J6.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/obscure-tax-law-may-be-hampering-efforts-understand-domestic-extremism

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am curious about this, can I ask— was he an engineer? 

I find that engineers and other applied science types tend to gravitate towards crankiness like this— and darker crankiness. When I was living in Pakistan, I found that studying engineering and computer sciences were overwhelmingly overrepresented in violent Islamism. My own theory is twofold

- The fields attract people who are extremely attracted to binary wrong/right modes of thinking and to “rigor” and following things to their logical conclusion even when the “logical” conclusion is a horror. This is especially important with religious texts.

- They tend to gravitate away from humanities and thus don’t get exposed to literature and art and ambiguity and different viewpoints. This also causes a huge problem with religious texts.  Someone who is steeped in literature and symbolism will be able to accurately say “this has all the signs of something that isn’t meant to be taken literally,” while the philistine engineer approaches everything like his textbook and directors to follow.

These people also tend to get an inflated opinion of their own intelligence and competence and so think they’re better equipped to understand the tax code and shit. They also like the real loony forms of libertarian economics that purport to set everything out with equations and graphs and nothing should intrude on the math.

To add to your theory, people that think in binary also fall into traps due to their internal logic.

• They can't believe that some taxes are good and others are bad.
  • If one tax is bad, than they're all bad.
  • If something is bad, it therefore must be illegal.
  • I have a duty to not pay my taxes. 

Reasonable people can understand that while they may not like how some (many?) taxes are spent by the govt, taxes are a necessary aspect of society.

I imagine there are some kooky lunch table conversations at federal prison camps for non-violent offenders. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I find that engineers and other applied science types tend to gravitate towards crankiness like this

That's an extreme overstatement.  Maybe a larger percentage than most fields -- I've been an engineer for 35 years and have worked with only one of these dorks to the best of my knowledge -- but "tend" would imply a large percentage.  No way.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's an extreme overstatement.  Maybe a larger percentage than most fields -- I've been an engineer for 35 years and have worked with only one of these dorks to the best of my knowledge -- but "tend" would imply a large percentage.  No way.

Oh, fair enough, obviously the vast majority of Pakistani engineers are normal people and don’t join violent Islamic extremist movements. Same with American engineers.  I do think that they’re over represented in this type of nuttiness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am curious about this, can I ask— was he an engineer? 

I find that engineers and other applied science types tend to gravitate towards crankiness like this— and darker crankiness. When I was living in Pakistan, I found that studying engineering and computer sciences were overwhelmingly overrepresented in violent Islamism. My own theory is twofold

- The fields attract people who are extremely attracted to binary wrong/right modes of thinking and to “rigor” and following things to their logical conclusion even when the “logical” conclusion is a horror. This is especially important with religious texts.

- They tend to gravitate away from humanities and thus don’t get exposed to literature and art and ambiguity and different viewpoints. This also causes a huge problem with religious texts.  Someone who is steeped in literature and symbolism will be able to accurately say “this has all the signs of something that isn’t meant to be taken literally,” while the philistine engineer approaches everything like his textbook and directors to follow.

These people also tend to get an inflated opinion of their own intelligence and competence and so think they’re better equipped to understand the tax code and shit. They also like the real loony forms of libertarian economics that purport to set everything out with equations and graphs and nothing should intrude on the math.

He was an engineer.

And I agree with your opinion on their binary thinking. It was always my standard procedure to strike any engineers, law enforcement or military as jurors when I represented a plaintiff. Those groups in general have more of a problem with nuance and ambiguity. Those groups always had a hard time, accepting that you can win a case “more likely than not.”   Engineers, especially are unable to find for a plaintiff who is only proven their case by 51% .  No matter the judge’s instructions - that group will demand that you prove your case 90 to 100%. 

Obviously, this is a generalization and does not apply to all engineers, military, and law-enforcement.  But it is also true often enough that plaintiff lawyers are taking a huge risk to leave them on a jury.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

“I am invoking my treaty right,” he immediately said, referencing Morocco, a country 4,000 miles away.

“Only one of us can talk at a time,” the judge chided.

“I am not consenting to an appearance,” Neal-Bey said.

Like his co-defendant, Judge Brown told him, his next hearing would be Feb. 3.

“Objection,” Neal-Bey said.

The court was acting without authority, he explained. This was an act of treason. But his hearing, too, was already over.

Nearby, a printer whirred, spitting out a copy of his criminal indictment.

On Zoom, Neal-Bey’s screen went dark.

“Can we call our next case?” the judge asked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/12/30/moorish-americans-gun-charges-court-maryland/

• Hook 'Em 1

First time I saw one of these nutbars in action was 20-25 years ago. I had a hearing in district court, the hearing before me was a tax foreclosure/collection action by the comptroller against one such guy.
To begin his defense, he put a little mini American flag set on the counsel table and then launched into a speech about America and freedom and liberty and muh rights and you have no authority and some such. The judge patiently let him do so. Then, he patiently asked the man if he had any evidence to introduce to address the comptroller’s case. Dude eventually says no. Judge gently tells him that I appreciate you stating your case, and I’m finding for the comptroller.
My hearing was the last of the day. After, I asked the judge how often guys like that show up. He sighed, and said it was once every couple of weeks, mostly since the “Republic of Texas” crew (y’all remember them?) started doing their thing. He just lets them have their say, then rules in accordance with the law. He said that doing so, and taking a patient tone and approach, had prevented any major incident in his courtroom.
Fucking people who think they figured out “the secret answer key” when millions of smart people for 200 yrs before them didn’t…it’s Dunning Kruger writ large.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking people who think they figured out “the secret answer key” when millions of smart people for 200 yrs before them didn’t…it’s Dunning Kruger writ large.

I still think it's awesome that some of them thought that the gold fringe around some American flags in courts automatically meant those courts were admiralty courts, like they had the secret Ovaltine decoder ring cluing them in, when nobody else did.

• Like 1

I defended one of these in small claims court in my first year of practice. New guy got the weird case. He was upset about his pension so sued his employer who we represented, and also the President of the United States, who his petition said he wanted to depose. The pleading was like 45 pages of copied and pasted nonsense from the internet that hit a bunch of the highlights already mentioned, and a lot more. I showed up and the judge let him ramble for about 3 minutes looking at me the whole time to not object. He then cut him off and said "It looks like your upset with your employer, their attorney is here, go talk to him in the hall." He weirdly spoke normal to me and we arranged to have his questions answered from the right person within the company. The judge went ahead and dismissed the case. Never followed up how it went with the employer, I honestly couldn't understand what his problem was in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

With this and other things that seem to be internet-inflamed, I think back to the first machines in factories: exposed belts and gears, mutilating man-traps for the unwary. Nobody would design machines like that now.

Well, social-media and internet rabbit-holes now are like those old machines then. An alert wary person is probably in little danger, but a distracted person, maybe with no context for the firehose of information, that person might get snatched up and mangled.

As in @'stache's story, the guy would have seemed normal, maybe been normal, minus what he found online.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Of course, the real test of intelligence is if choosing to avoid Cracker Barrel in the first place 

If you’re surrounded by chain options you could do worse for breakfast.  And I’ll concede that it takes a little effort to fuck up breakfast.

• Drool 1

6 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

The Sovereign Citizen movement is a silly fantasy. But so is y'alls' mass-hallucination that we have "states" or a "country."

No sir. Given that the Treaty of Tordesillas was never changed (do not DARE to mention the alleged Treaties of Madrid nor San Ildefonso to me, vile heretic fictions that they be) and thus you lot of escaped prisoners, savages, and syphilitic pirates should cease your unnatural online bacchanals and BEG MERCY of Su Majestad El Rey de España i los Yndies.

When driving my tuner Seat Ibiza, I obey no mythical "Sheriff" or  "State Trooper," for I am subject to the laws of the King and his Viceroys. HA!

This is a man with a loaded Saturn. 

• Drool 1