Sovereign Citizen Thread

tx 3 putt

I ran into one of these guys in Austin in 1990. He was a handyman that did work for my landlord. He had the same song and dance about the gold trim on the flag. He had turned in his Social Security card. Since she paid him in cash he was able to fly under the radar. I suspect he only took cash. They can persist in this delusional state for years if they manage to avoid getting pulled over. 

Somebody on here knew someone that was not paying taxes based on the same ideas. 

There's a woman up in Canada that claims to be Queen. She's really from the Philippines but that hasn't stopped people from sending her money. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3pjwj/qanon-queen-of-canada-romana-didulo-king-feud 

• Hook 'Em 1

Years ago I had an employee, a Ph.D. toxicologist who did this shit. Somehow our hr person missed some bullshit he had scribbled on his intake forms but after working for us for about a year or so the irs came calling. Along with the state of Michigan where he owed a bunch of delinquent child support. Since we had federal grant funding, we clearly couldn’t keep paying him off of federal monies. But he refused to admit that he owed any taxes because he was a citizen of America or some shit. I think that we told him that we couldn’t pay him any more but we didn’t just fire him outright. I think he still showed up to work for a couple of weeks even though he wasn’t getting paid and eventually he just stopped showing up. 

• Haha 4

Years ago I had an employee, a Ph.D. toxicologist who did this shit. Somehow our hr person missed some bullshit he had scribbled on his intake forms but after working for us for about a year or so the irs came calling. Along with the state of Michigan where he owed a bunch of delinquent child support. Since we had federal grant funding, we clearly couldn’t keep paying him off of federal monies. But he refused to admit that he owed any taxes because he was a citizen of America or some shit. I think that we told him that we couldn’t pay him any more but we didn’t just fire him outright. I think he still showed up to work for a couple of weeks even though he wasn’t getting paid and eventually he just stopped showing up. 

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I ran into one of these guys in Austin in 1990. He was a handyman that did work for my landlord. He had the same song and dance about the gold trim on the flag. He had turned in his Social Security card. Since she paid him in cash he was able to fly under the radar. I suspect he only took cash. They can persist in this delusional state for years if they manage to avoid getting pulled over. 

My Qanon relative tried that shit - let her license expire (it was expired when COVID hit), and let her insurance, and registration go during COVID, and she flew under the radar while DPS was paused on a lot of stuff like registration/inspection, physical offices closed, etc.

When things started opening back up, she still tried to avoid getting pulled over by only driving at night, or on the rare occasions during the day, stuck to high-traffic roads/highways as much as possible.  It was ridiculous though - at a family get-together in town, she arrived at like 4 in the morning, parked in her brother's driveway, and stayed the entire day until like after 9pm, even though the get-together was around 3-4 hours long around lunchtime.  

She still ultimately got caught because she dinged somebody's car in an HEB parking lot at night early last year, and tried to buy them off with the $300 in cash she could get at a nearby ATM machine, as well as all of the groceries she had just bought, and promising to bring them more money in the coming days.  I don't know the exact fallout legally or financially (her parents took care of the fines) but I know she had her shit sorted after that (I think her dad made it a condition of her "allowance"). I've heard that she pleaded to whoever (I guess the judge) that was she too scared of COVID to allow others in her car to inspect or work on it, because it could kill her, and they allowed it to somewhat slide, which is really awesome coming from somebody who didn't believe it existed and wasn't killing people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

My Qanon relative tried that shit - let her license expire (it was expired when COVID hit), and let her insurance, and registration go during COVID, and she flew under the radar while DPS was paused on a lot of stuff like registration/inspection, physical offices closed, etc.

When things started opening back up, she still tried to avoid getting pulled over by only driving at night, or on the rare occasions during the day, stuck to high-traffic roads/highways as much as possible.  It was ridiculous though - at a family get-together in town, she arrived at like 4 in the morning, parked in her brother's driveway, and stayed the entire day until like after 9pm, even though the get-together was around 3-4 hours long around lunchtime.  

She still ultimately got caught because she dinged somebody's car in an HEB parking lot at night early last year, and tried to buy them off with the $300 in cash she could get at a nearby ATM machine, as well as all of the groceries she had just bought, and promising to bring them more money in the coming days.  I don't know the exact fallout legally or financially (her parents took care of the fines) but I know she had her shit sorted after that (I think her dad made it a condition of her "allowance"). I've heard that she pleaded to whoever (I guess the judge) that was she too scared of COVID to allow others in her car to inspect or work on it, because it could kill her, and they allowed it to somewhat slide, which is really awesome coming from somebody who didn't believe it existed and wasn't killing people.

She showed that state of Texas by completely altering her lifestyle and the state still came out ahead after her fines.

Non-SC related but don’t you love family members that break the rules or don’t pay bills. Then it’s someone else, usually old parents, who are ultimately out the money to make things right.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Rage+1 2

I used to have to answer a Fair amount of mail from these loons when I worked for a Texas Congressman 20+ years ago.  It usually revolved around the 16th amendment being invalid due to (choose your favorite): Oklahoma botching ratification, inconsistent wording in the state approval process, bad punctuation, etc. 

We had a very standard response detailing a brief overview of Supreme Court activity in the area, plus. Strong recommendation to reach out to the IRS if you were in arrears and manage your tax debt.  Basically FAFO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, with a new Congress on the cusp of being seated; what's the odds that we have a sovereign type being sworn in tomorrow?

And if not fully sovereign, how about partially?  

Kind of hard to file for federal office without declaring yourself a citizen of the US and a valid ID to attest to residency. 

Article I, Section 2, Clause 2:

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

Agree with the earlier poster that these are simply selfish pricks that want all the rights with none of the responsibilities. They demand access to taxpayer funded services like roads, hospitals, police, etc. and then cry foul when they find out there is actually a cost to all of that. They are children, pure and simple.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, with a new Congress on the cusp of being seated; what's the odds that we have a sovereign type being sworn in tomorrow?

And if not fully sovereign, how about partially?  

Would sovereign citizens consider themselves eligible to serve in US congress?

would the government, if it chose to accept the statements of sovereign citizens as fact?

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Kind of hard to file for federal office without declaring yourself a citizen of the US and a valid ID to attest to residency. 

Article I, Section 2, Clause 2:

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

Agree with the earlier poster that these are simply selfish pricks that want all the rights with none of the responsibilities. They demand access to taxpayer funded services like roads, hospitals, police, etc. and then cry foul when they find out there is actually a cost to all of that. They are children, pure and simple.

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would sovereign citizens consider themselves eligible to serve in US congress?

would the government, if it chose to accept the statements of sovereign citizens as fact?

Hell, I know this already; but odds are there are people that would have no problem swearing to an oath to the Constitution, while denying that it has any kind of authority over them.

Shit, how many in the GOP swore an oath to the constitution, yet fully backed an insurrection against their own country?

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I used to have to answer a Fair amount of mail from these loons when I worked for a Texas Congressman 20+ years ago.  It usually revolved around the 16th amendment being invalid due to (choose your favorite): Oklahoma botching ratification, inconsistent wording in the state approval process, bad punctuation, etc. 

We had a very standard response detailing a brief overview of Supreme Court activity in the area, plus. Strong recommendation to reach out to the IRS if you were in arrears and manage your tax debt.  Basically FAFO.

I bet there are a couple of state and maybe even federal reps that respond “you’re right and if you keep voting for me….”

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've heard that she pleaded to whoever (I guess the judge) that was she too scared of COVID to allow others in her car to inspect or work on it, because it could kill her, and they allowed it to somewhat slide, which is really awesome coming from somebody who didn't believe it existed and wasn't killing people.

She hoaxed the hoaxers. Used the Lizard Peoples' own control mechanisms against them. 

Speaking of lizard people, I once taught with a guy who, in the middle of our faculty cubicle farm, went off on a Hillary Clinton Is A Lizard Person rant. But not just her. All of them. You know, "them." the Lizard People. Not a bad guy but had some buttons. One day I was talking about what I owed in taxes, and he busted in with a "You Don't Have To Pay Taxes. Don't Do It. Don't Do It." I never got a clear answer on whether he paid his.

• 2 weeks later...

The documents state the court does not have jurisdiction over the couple and that they were the victims of fraud by their court-appointed lawyer. The prosecution discounted the motion as “a hodgepodge of unsupported assertions, irrelevant platitudes, and legalistic gibberish.” 

----

The Chilcoats are hardly the first defendants to use debunked sovereign citizen ideas to try and beat the system. At least 11 other Jan. 6 defendants have attempted to wiggle their way out of their charges and court dates by using the argument, The Daily Beast reported. Thosese include a woman who famously told a policeman "bring Nancy Pelosi out here now… we want to hang that fucking bitch" as she entered the capital, an actor-turned-Oathkeeper, and a Florida man who sent back his court documents stamped with a statement saying he rejected them as an "American Sovereign." 

Unsurprisingly, none have succeeded in court. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgyjya/jan-6-sovereign-citizen

• 4 weeks later...

He was sentenced to 70 days in partial confinement under electronic home monitoring in early 2022 but was later arrested for violation of his home monitoring. In May 2022, he was ordered to serve the remaining eight days of his sentence in jail. As of January 2023, he had completed his jail sentence and had filed an appeal to have his conviction overturned. 

Duke signed on as Phillips’ “attorney-in-fact” in February 2022 by sending a notice to the court stating, “This notice is to inform you that the private and peaceable man, Dean-Ervin of the family Phillips, has retained me, Malika Duke, as counsel and that you and other parties have been reported for negligence, incompetence and/or criminal intent against him via a state and federal tort claim,” according to documents filed in Lewis County Superior Court. 

http://www.chronline.com/stories/woman-accused-of-practicing-law-in-lewis-county-without-license-faces-felonies,313384

Knew a guy like this.  One day I came to work and realized I hadn't seen him in a while.  Turns out he was just sentenced to 25 years for Tax Evasion.  Sole breadwinner for his family.  Wife and six kids.  Brilliant IT guy.  That was about ten years ago.  I think about that knucklehead sometimes and wonder if his family is ok.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

He was sentenced to 70 days in partial confinement under electronic home monitoring in early 2022 but was later arrested for violation of his home monitoring. In May 2022, he was ordered to serve the remaining eight days of his sentence in jail. As of January 2023, he had completed his jail sentence and had filed an appeal to have his conviction overturned. 

Something something sovereign home something something.

1 hour ago, Felix said:

Knew a guy like this.  One day I came to work and realized I hadn't seen him in a while.  Turns out he was just sentenced to 25 years for Tax Evasion.  Sole breadwinner for his family.  Wife and six kids.  Brilliant IT guy.  That was about ten years ago.  I think about that knucklehead sometimes and wonder if his family is ok.

Bang his wife and find out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Karen Phillips, 65, of Tyler, was arrested Tuesday on one count of interfering with public duties after she allegedly attempted to prevent the arrest of Derrick Phillips. Karen Phillips is the wife of Smith County Pct. 3 Commissioner Terry Phillips.

https://www.kltv.com/2023/04/06/sheriff-video-shows-smith-county-clerk-trying-grab-deputy-during-sons-arrest/

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Karen Phillips, 65, of Tyler, was arrested Tuesday on one count of interfering with public duties after she allegedly attempted to prevent the arrest of Derrick Phillips. Karen Phillips is the wife of Smith County Pct. 3 Commissioner Terry Phillips.

https://www.kltv.com/2023/04/06/sheriff-video-shows-smith-county-clerk-trying-grab-deputy-during-sons-arrest/

Love when these fools pull out of documents they printed online to teach law to the Cops. But I feel for the police when they’re stuck dealing with individuals who want to argue whether they’re driving or traveling.

I don't know why but these people annoy the fuck out of me.  Wouldn't we all like for the rules to not apply to us?  You think you have found some secret key to just opt out of everything you don't like?  Ignorant and selfish.  Two qualities I hate. Fuck these mf'ers.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

For you lawyers who seem to encounter these people a lot, how do you avoid referencing them as "Sovereign Shitizens"?

One of my favorite things is being in court when I overhear a Sovcit start to argue with the judge. Happens several times a year and really makes my week. They never have attorneys, refuse a public defender, and ask to represent themselves. Its also the only time I feel even the slightest bit of sympathy with prosecutors as they have to deal with these folks as "opposing counsel" for the rest of the case until the judge eventually revokes their pro se status.

A lot of them don't make it past arraignment because when the judge asks for their appearance before the court, they wont say their name - I guess they think it establishes jurisdiction over them or something - so they just say things like "your honor, I, a person, am here in full capacity and without reservation  . . ."

The judge then says "oh, so you're not John Smith? Ok, well, in that case, Mr. Smith was ordered to be here today and seeing how it is now 11am and no Mr. John Smith is present, I am hereby issuing a bench warrant in the amount of $35k for the arrest of Mr. Smith. Next case!" 

That's followed by a bunch of mumbling and "oh, wait, nevermind, that's me!"  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

You know, if I were prosecuting any of these cases, the first thing I'd do is show that each defendant cashed their covid stimulus checks.  And you know they all did.  

Ancient Law of the Sea, Sir. Predates any Alleged National Corporations, Sir. A Person has the right to Benefit from any Found Bounty, Sir. A Non-Baker can hand you a loaf of Bread and that does not make the Loaf any less Bread or the Non-Baker a Baker.

Sir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Ancient Law of the Sea, Sir. Predates any Alleged National Corporations, Sir. A Person has the right to Benefit from any Found Bounty, Sir. A Non-Baker can hand you a loaf of Bread and that does not make the Loaf any less Bread or the Non-Baker a Baker.

Sir.

Please be seated Mr. Buffett

• Drool 1

I was on a jury once for a guy that was fighting a speeding ticket. His reasoning was he had a Cayman Islands driver’s license and traffic regulations only applied to US licensed drivers traveling for commercial purposes. It took about 30 seconds to find him guilty and give him the max fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/6/2023 at 3:40 PM, Felix said:

I wonder where you are tonight 

I wonder if you are all right 

I wonder if you think of me

In my misery 

There stands the glass

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I was on a jury once for a guy that was fighting a speeding ticket. His reasoning was he had a Cayman Islands driver’s license and traffic regulations only applied to US licensed drivers traveling for commercial purposes. It took about 30 seconds to find him guilty and give him the max fine.

But your honor I’ve printed all of these Texags posts that say I’m right.

• Haha 1

Texas angle, and fake license plates as well:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/top-sovereign-citizen-david-straight-kicked-out-over-fake-license-plates?ref=home

Members of the far right sovereign citizen movement are best known for their clashes with law enforcement. In traffic stops and courtrooms across the country, sovereign citizens have tried—and failed—to implement their bizarre homemade legal theories when faced with the enforcement of legitimate laws.

But now two prominent branches of the movement have turned on one another, feuding over a lucrative scheme to sell fake license plates for a nonexistent “Republic of Texas.”

The feud pits the citizens of a fictitious entity called the “Republic of Texas” against David Straight, a so-called sovereign-citizen “guru” whose seminars on his legal theories have raked in big money across the country. Complicating the spat further, Straight’s wife was arrested Monday on a raft of charges.

In the past, Straight and the so-called “Texians” have been natural allies. They both subscribe to the eclectic ideas of the sovereign citizen movement which broadly encompasses groups of people who believe they exist in parallel legal universes and can, through elaborate legal filings and careful courtroom rhetoric, evade actual laws.

But the relationship between the Texas sovereign citizens and one of the movement’s most prominent members broke down this month, after the Texas group accused Straight of getting rich by selling fake license plates that sovereign citizens believe would help them avoid police. In total, the group claims Straight may have made nearly $200,000 off the bogus plates.

Straight and the Republic of Texas’ leadership didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Spoiler

For the Republic of Texas, beliefs in their own legal impunity have turned violent. In 1997, one branch of the group kidnapped two people and held them as hostages, demanding the release of a “Republic of Texas” member who had been arrested for pushing fake legal documents. After a weeklong standoff with law enforcement, one of the group’s members was killed after shooting at a police helicopter. The group landed on law enforcements’ radar again in 2015, after its members sent faux-legal documents to a judge, prompting an FBI raid on a meeting.

Straight, meanwhile, has become one of the leading figures of the sovereign citizen movement, often pushing his theories at multiple seminars a month where tickets can cost more than $150. At his well-attended events, Straight rambles for hours about his oddball legal ideas, drawing complex diagrams on a white board and claiming that the American Bar Association is responsible for most of the problems in the United States.

Straight has risen to become a “sovereign citizen guru,” according to the Anti-Defamation League, insisting that his followers can break free of the regular legal system and become free-roaming “American State Nationals” if they just buy the right forms from him.

Since at least March, Straight has been promoting another potentially lucrative plan, offering tiny, nine-foot plots in the “Republic of Texas” for $387. In the twisted logic of sovereign citizens, that would mean anyone in the country could buy a plot and renounce their American citizenship to become “Texians.”

But an add-on deal sold by Straight as part of the land deal went even further, selling a “Right to Travel” package for $512 that offered a fictitious “Republic of Texas” license plate. On his website, Straight claims any driver with the license plates couldn’t be legally pulled over for a traffic stop. Sweetening the deal, Straight claimed a holder of the plates could even sue any police officer who pulled them over for substantial damages, with Straight’s wife as their lawyer.

The license-plate deal angered the sovereign citizens in the Republic of Texas, who appear to be concerned about running. In a pop-up on their website, the group claimed they’ve been deluged with unhappy customers complaining about Straight.

On their website, the Republic of Texas claimed Straight sold the land-and-plate packages for $897 to more than 200 people, making roughly $179,400. But after running afoul of law enforcement in the past, the “Texians” say they want no part of this license-plate operation, warning that anyone with the plates does “so at their own risk.”

“The Republic of Texas will not be held responsible for the potential unlawful ramifications from the sale of these packages,” the website notes.

Amid the fight with the “Republic of Texas,” Straight’s wife, Bonnie Thomas, was arrested Monday outside of Fort Worth. She faces four charges, according to a county jail website: carrying a weapon in a prohibited place, illegal burning, resisting arrest, and assault a police officer or judge. No further details were immediately available, and it’s not clear whether her arrest is related to the fake license plates.

As of this writing, Straight hasn’t acknowledged that he’s been disowned by the fictitious “Republic of Texas” where he’s claiming to sell land. His website still offers the license plates, plus another unusual benefit: access to a future RV park open only to sovereign citizens.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just how long could you drive with fictitious license plates? I understand that someone with a printer could drive with temp plates almost indefinitely but fake Republic of Texas plates? maybe your odds are good that a cop won’t get directly behind you, or they just don’t notice.

perhaps the guy that @Francisco 2.0 mentions is how we see stories like the recent Tyler incident where a political family was getting pulled into the SovCit movement. Or at least the wife and adult son.

2 minutes ago, Bookman said:

I had forgotten about those "Republic of Texas" guys. I seem to recall a guy I knew at UT who was into that during the mid 90's. He was an albino.

Unsure about albinism but I imagine that people with limited options can be attracted to weird ideas like SovCit.

I know there is concern that the failures of so many young men could lead them to having strange beliefs. When you have little, you get upset with the govt thinking how unfair they’re treating you. The govt doesn’t go out of its way to help able-bodied single men. Anti-govt hate turns to embracing ideas that the govt doesn’t really have legal power.  These ideas exploded during Covid.

5 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Texas angle, and fake license plates as well:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/top-sovereign-citizen-david-straight-kicked-out-over-fake-license-plates?ref=home

Hide contents

For the Republic of Texas, beliefs in their own legal impunity have turned violent. In 1997, one branch of the group kidnapped two people and held them as hostages, demanding the release of a “Republic of Texas” member who had been arrested for pushing fake legal documents. After a weeklong standoff with law enforcement, one of the group’s members was killed after shooting at a police helicopter. The group landed on law enforcements’ radar again in 2015, after its members sent faux-legal documents to a judge, prompting an FBI raid on a meeting.

Straight, meanwhile, has become one of the leading figures of the sovereign citizen movement, often pushing his theories at multiple seminars a month where tickets can cost more than $150. At his well-attended events, Straight rambles for hours about his oddball legal ideas, drawing complex diagrams on a white board and claiming that the American Bar Association is responsible for most of the problems in the United States.

Straight has risen to become a “sovereign citizen guru,” according to the Anti-Defamation League, insisting that his followers can break free of the regular legal system and become free-roaming “American State Nationals” if they just buy the right forms from him.

Since at least March, Straight has been promoting another potentially lucrative plan, offering tiny, nine-foot plots in the “Republic of Texas” for $387. In the twisted logic of sovereign citizens, that would mean anyone in the country could buy a plot and renounce their American citizenship to become “Texians.”

But an add-on deal sold by Straight as part of the land deal went even further, selling a “Right to Travel” package for $512 that offered a fictitious “Republic of Texas” license plate. On his website, Straight claims any driver with the license plates couldn’t be legally pulled over for a traffic stop. Sweetening the deal, Straight claimed a holder of the plates could even sue any police officer who pulled them over for substantial damages, with Straight’s wife as their lawyer.

The license-plate deal angered the sovereign citizens in the Republic of Texas, who appear to be concerned about running. In a pop-up on their website, the group claimed they’ve been deluged with unhappy customers complaining about Straight.

On their website, the Republic of Texas claimed Straight sold the land-and-plate packages for $897 to more than 200 people, making roughly $179,400. But after running afoul of law enforcement in the past, the “Texians” say they want no part of this license-plate operation, warning that anyone with the plates does “so at their own risk.”

“The Republic of Texas will not be held responsible for the potential unlawful ramifications from the sale of these packages,” the website notes.

Amid the fight with the “Republic of Texas,” Straight’s wife, Bonnie Thomas, was arrested Monday outside of Fort Worth. She faces four charges, according to a county jail website: carrying a weapon in a prohibited place, illegal burning, resisting arrest, and assault a police officer or judge. No further details were immediately available, and it’s not clear whether her arrest is related to the fake license plates.

As of this writing, Straight hasn’t acknowledged that he’s been disowned by the fictitious “Republic of Texas” where he’s claiming to sell land. His website still offers the license plates, plus another unusual benefit: access to a future RV park open only to sovereign citizens.

She faces four charges, according to a county jail website: carrying a weapon in a prohibited place, illegal burning, resisting arrest, and assault a police officer or judge

I want to party with this chick.

sovcit-declares-himself-to-be-his-own-court-then-directs-v0-nv9okq2rgyta1.png?width=1080&crop=smart&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=bc1b75fca18bdc7013c75cde877be1aca014008b

I love this magical thinking.
Taxes are illegal. I don’t owe them, and wont pay them.
Court fees are not a thing. I don’t pay them.
The court is here to hear all persons’ cases etc, and must be open to all.

And…these courts are paid for….how? The road you drove on to get here is paid for…how?

It’s not just that these guys are nutters, it’s also the utterly illogical thinking required to get there.
  • Hook 'Em 2