Name a time that a TV show made you cry

shadow_operative

pretty much all of the best dramatic/dramedy shows that i've watched have caused me to tear up a time or two, but i'll start this thread off with two in particular that come to mind for me:

from LOST, i'll just say that Through The Looking Glass and The Constant are two of the best episodes of television i've ever seen, and both had me crying in my living room.

and then from GoT:

Spoiler

when stannis burned shareen at the stake. i've watched that scene twice. the first time i absolutely bawled. the second time i only mildly bawled. good lord that was gut wrenching.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, WBT said:

oral-history-futurama-dog-waiting-jurass

yes. this episode fucking kills me.

another show i loved growing up was good times. i don't think it gets enough credit for being as genre bending as it was. anyways there's a neighbor girl who confides to the daughter she's being abused by her mother with an iron. burned. 

anyways the daughter wrestles with it but eventually tells mama who goes in to save the day and...the family has moved out. gone. forever. fuck that one hit me hard at 6 years old or so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Knew the Futurama dog was coming when I read the thread title.

I cry lots at TV shows. In fact, I cried the other day at one of my daughters teeny bopper shows; something about getting cancer and helping her out or something. Lots of TV shows manufacture these tears by using tear-jerker subject matter and material (children's illnesses, cancers, deaths, etc.) and no matter how formulaic, I can't help but still cry at certain things.

That said, when shows are creative or unconventional to draw out emotions that is when it's really memorable. Like the Futurama dog. 

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 1

Years ago, I think on ABC.  “Life goes On”.  Corky has a very low functioning friend who also has downs Syndrome.  The mom Comes over to pick him up And the two starring parents chat with her about their mutual challenges to raise kids like this (remember Corky was very high functioning).   Friend’s mom says he’s observant enough to know he’s different but can never wrap  his head around why.  So she told him a story that God loves all his children equally but he especially marked his favorites like her son and Corky so they’d be easier for him to see.

i watched that episode as it aired 30+ years ago with my half sister who loved the show.  She is high-functioning Down’s syndrome and she asked me if that was true about God marking his favorites.  I’d like to think I said something comforting.  I think about that episode a few times per year and I cry every time still.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

pretty much all of the best dramatic/dramedy shows that i've watched have caused me to tear up a time or two, but i'll start this thread off with two in particular that come to mind for me:

from LOST, i'll just say that Through The Looking Glass and The Constant are two of the best episodes of television i've ever seen, and both had me crying in my living room.

and then from GoT:

Hide contents

when stannis burned shareen at the stake. i've watched that scene twice. the first time i absolutely bawled. the second time i only mildly bawled. good lord that was gut wrenching.

Those 2 episodes of LOST also got me, but so did the finale.  Part of living, and part of dying, is letting go.  It so invades our emotional psyche that we are left without words or direction, but it's part of the sequence nonetheless.  Being a believer give me the hope of The Promise, which makes the letting go part more palatable.  But damn.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Band of brothers:  "Why we fight"

BOB is always a great answer.

My wife knows that, without fail, I will be a teary-eyed mess at the very end.
“Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?”
“No…but I served in a company of heroes.”
Just. Fucking. Wrecks me.

And recently, I teared up twice at the final episode of Derry Girls. First, at Orla’s dance sequence through the streets - just pure innocent exuberance, joyful defiance in the face of trouble and, literally, armed soldiers. It was so damned pure. And again at the end, as they voted for the Good Friday Agreement, accepting their bloody history as they chose a hopeful future. Perfection, humanity…it got me.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

"free churro" episode of bojack is pretty emotional.

To this day, I consider "The View from Halfway Down" the best half-hour of television I've ever watched, and you're damn right I cried. I know that's high praise, but I stand by it. I think it's made all the more impactful by the fact that you really have to have watched the entire series to that point for the full weight of that episode to land. The absurdity of the cartoon animal world, held up by the writers incredibly, sometimes painfully accurate portrayal of many, many societal and personal illnesses ... it's a hard show to get into, and i suspect that lots of folks have watched the first season, and probably have that "I tried but I couldn't get into it" vide from Bojack. And that's fine, I get it, and in lots of places the show is REALLY unapproachable. But holy fuck ... the last season just hits like a mack truck. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

BOB is always a great answer.

My wife knows that, without fail, I will be a teary-eyed mess at the very end.
“Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?”
“No…but I served in a company of heroes.”
Just. Fucking. Wrecks me.

And recently, I teared up twice at the final episode of Derry Girls. First, at Orla’s dance sequence through the streets - just pure innocent exuberance, joyful defiance in the face of trouble and, literally, armed soldiers. It was so damned pure. And again at the end, as they voted for the Good Friday Agreement, accepting their bloody history as they chose a hopeful future. Perfection, humanity…it got me.

Alot of good ones on this list. But the Derry Girls episode with Claire and her father was not something I was ready for.

Once I became a father I started crying much more often.

• Hook 'Em 2

kills me still...image.png.ff39f688f959a4ae54c5dc2644b298c0.png

and this...A Day In The Death... the whole ep, but the fluffernutter...ugh...

image.thumb.png.2daa5cac47ec471160d4ea2decbe5e61.png

image.png.5ba638bc803d96ce251663d9763d081f.png

...and then they pulled the rug! and we had to go thru the entire emotional roller coaster again a couple eps later! 😡 such stupid writing... but Dean Winters acted his ass off.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 3

Battlestar Galactica (2004 series) when Tigh has to execute his wife Ellen (and if he doesn't, others will), and so he's holding her and telling her that he loves her, and then  gives her a poisoned drink and she dies just a few seconds later.

If you are ever forced to kill your wife, I can't think of a better way to do it, because it was just so romantic and loving.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

ER made me cry plenty of times. Don't know that I can name specific instances tho

The two episodes centered around Dr. Greene's passing made me cry. Season 8, episodes 20 and 21, "The Letter" and "On The Beach". 

ER rarely seems to get mentioned when people talk about the best TV shows of the recent past.  At least it seems that way to me.  I guess because as far as I know it is not on a streaming platform anywhere and the 20-somethings aren't experiencing it for the first time.  I could be wrong on it not being on a streaming platform, though. Edit:  looks like I am wrong about that.  It appears to be on HBO Max.

Edited by ScottS
ER is on a streaming platform. And OU sucks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Love's Labor Lost
Wasn't even close to parenthood when that episode aired, but holy shit that one stuck with me.

Fuck, forgot that one. Wife was several months pregnant with our first. She was out that evening, I watched it alone. She walked through the door, and I just lost it. I mean, full-on sobs. I remember telling her “they held their baby as he died, and he was so little,” and I was a fucking wreck.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck, forgot that one. Wife was several months pregnant with our first. She was out that evening, I watched it alone. She walked through the door, and I just lost it. I mean, full-on sobs. I remember telling her “they held their baby as he died, and he was so little,” and I was a fucking wreck.

The wife dies in that one after delivering the baby via a crash c-section. She has preeclampsia which Dr. Greene misdiagnosed. After he can't deliver her baby the normal route, they go for the crash C-section as the mother is dying. The baby survives and meets Dr. Greene later when the father and her return for a deposition where they're suing the hospital for malpractice. Bradley Whitford was the husband. Great episode. The entire first season of ER was great. 

Edited by mdmost

The wife dies in that one after delivering the baby via a crash c-section. She has preeclampsia which Dr. Greene misdiagnosed. After he can't deliver her baby the normal route, they go for the crash C-section as the mother is dying. The baby survives and meets Dr. Greene later when the father and her return for a deposition where they're suing the hospital for malpractice. Bradley Whitford was the husband. Great episode. The entire first season of ER was great. 

You’re right. The episode I was thinking of was “Sand and Water.” It incorporated the song of the same name by Beth Nielsen Chapman - absolutely heartbreaking song. Whole thing had me absolutely wrecked.

I’m a cryer. Movies and TV get me all the time. But some I recall…

When Marty Hart (Woody) breaks down in the hospital at the end of season 1 of True Detective.

The ending of Freaks and Geeks.

Euphoria got me a few times.

Also, not when they first aired, but when Anthony Bourdain aired posthumously, certain comments were revealing and others just hit home.

kills me still...image.png.ff39f688f959a4ae54c5dc2644b298c0.png

and this...A Day In The Death... the whole ep, but the fluffernutter...ugh...
image.thumb.png.2daa5cac47ec471160d4ea2decbe5e61.png
image.png.5ba638bc803d96ce251663d9763d081f.png
...and then they pulled the rug! and we had to go thru the entire emotional roller coaster again a couple eps later! such stupid writing... but Dean Winters acted his ass off.

I was gonna say the Smit’s death episode of NYPD Blues as well. That and the one where Sipowitz’s son gets killed. Man, they treated that character bad over the life of that series.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

yes. this episode fucking kills me.

another show i loved growing up was good times. i don't think it gets enough credit for being as genre bending as it was. anyways there's a neighbor girl who confides to the daughter she's being abused by her mother with an iron. burned. 

anyways the daughter wrestles with it but eventually tells mama who goes in to save the day and...the family has moved out. gone. forever. fuck that one hit me hard at 6 years old or so. 

And you know who the actress who played the neighbor girl was, right? You guessed it Frank Stallone Janet Jackson.

• Haha 1

The Walking Dead episode The Grove when Carol told Lizzie to look at the flowers before killing her was rough.  At the time, my girls were roughly the age of the girls Carol was watching after.

spacer.png

Ricky Gervais has a series called Afterlife which was great.  There are several episodes in that series.

My wife watched a series called This is Us.  I watched a couple episodes, both of which had moments.  I decided I didn't want to watch a series that makes you cry every episode.

Several of the episodes of Jeopardy! following Alex Trebek's passing.

The All in the Family episode when Edith was attached by a rapist.  Try to watch this:

Edited by Jerry Callo