Name a time that a TV show made you cry

shadow_operative

This answer is dadcore as hell, but there have been several episodes of Bluey that made me turn away from my daughter to get my shit together. 
The ending of “flat pack” specifically always really sneaks up me
Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.f20b34f7494c080e5628e045b6dd522f.jpeg

Sleepytime. Gustav Holst’ Jupiter playing as Bingo grows up in her dream. Waterworks.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

this one is odd but i remember it vividly lol...

when i was little my parents let me watch Soap, it was my absolute favorite program even though i almost certainly didn't 'get' half the jokes bc realistically it was inappropriate for a little kid in the first place, but my parents were nothing if not lax on the supervision #genX 😜

anyway, my favorite character was Benson, i absolutely loved him (clearly i was a smartass fan from a young age 😄).

when he left Soap i was completely devastated. i mean i cried for days...i distinctly remember wailing '... but i don't want him to leave!!' while my mom held me trying to explain how he wasn't a real person. obviously this was way before the internet so i'm not sure back then we even knew he had his own spinoff show coming... but even when it did, it just wasn't the same. 

i mean this little white girl really loved that snarky old black butler 😄

image.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

Two episodes of All in the Family.  The one when Edith dies in her sleep and one one when Archie sneaks his grand baby into church and baptizes the child himself.  

Edith dies episode was "Archie Bunker's  Place."

That was a gut punch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, YChang said:

This is the episode that does it for me with Futurama more so than Jurassic Bark.

image.jpeg

And the one where Fry goes back in time to see his mom round out the trifecta of futurama episodes cutting onions around here. 

Edited by Covri
I see Js1 already mentioned it
  • Hook 'Em 2

When Joseph "Bam Bam" Mauro blew it against Mark Ortega scaling the walls of The Eliminator in the American Gladiators final. An obstacle he routinely dominated throughout the competition. Bam Bam stole my 6-year old heart that summer and he was so clearly the superior competitor. And Ortega got a favorable throw from the Gladiator at the very end. Just devastating. 

On 12/29/2022 at 2:35 PM, mchookem said:

this one is odd but i remember it vividly lol...

when i was little my parents let me watch Soap, it was my absolute favorite program even though i almost certainly didn't 'get' half the jokes bc realistically it was inappropriate for a little kid in the first place, but my parents were nothing if not lax on the supervision #genX 😜

anyway, my favorite character was Benson, i absolutely loved him (clearly i was a smartass fan from a young age 😄).

when he left Soap i was completely devastated. i mean i cried for days...i distinctly remember wailing '... but i don't want him to leave!!' while my mom held me trying to explain how he wasn't a real person. obviously this was way before the internet so i'm not sure back then we even knew he had his own spinoff show coming... but even when it did, it just wasn't the same. 

i mean this little white girl really loved that snarky old black butler 😄

image.png

I've never been able to find it online.  But there's a scene of him on "SportsNight" where he talks about the 2000 new year.  Says the century started out with his parents as indentured servants and then he's about to usher in the new millennia as the owner of a massive network.  Been 20 years since I last watched it, but got me choked up...

• Like 1

Only TV show that ever made me cry - Howdy Doody’s last episode, which aired September 24, 1960. The news passed quickly from house to house and 15 neighborhood kids gathered at my sainted Aunt’s house. When Buffalo Bob, Clarabell, Chief Thunderthud and the gang waved goodbye for the last time we all cried like babies. I had just turned nine. We had watched that show all our lives snd it was gone forever. It was a shock because none of us knew about it until the day before. I didn’t believe it until it happened right in front of me. It was like Ralphie when he decoded the Ovaltine messsge: “Sonuvabitch! They can’t do that!”

Puppets, clowns and kid show hosts may creep sone people out but Howdy Doody was a really good kids’ program.
image.png.b630ce26721795512837e5ced20eedb1.png

Edited by Bama Llama
Spelling spaz

There was an episode of “Who’s the Boss?” where Tony remembers when he got in trouble as a kid and it prevented his Grandfather from making it to his Naturalization ceremony.  The old man dies before he can get scheduled for another ceremony.  They end up holding a posthumous Naturalization ceremony with Tony standing in as proxy.  Caught me completely off guard and it’s the hardest I’ve ever cried because of a TV show or movie.

Edited by Guadaloopy

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a softie so…. Lots of times. One of the first that I recall was the series finale of Cheers. Just a perfect ending and performance. Also most surprising was the proposal to Leslie Knope in Parks and Rec. It’s just such a happy moment and there is very real chemistry with them.

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

This one got me when I was a kid

absolutely brilliant❤️

i was raised on SS (and The Electric Company), as was much of GenX i would guess. parents today would do well to seek it out for their children. best children's programming to be found. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, mchookem said:

absolutely brilliant❤️

i was raised on SS (and The Electric Company), as was much of GenX i would guess. parents today would do well to seek it out for their children. best children's programming to be found. 

I learned English in this country by watching SS and Mr. Rogers!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, squib said:

image.png.6482408ebae85988d103487d586f73d2.png

Not this. But the next few episodes after. And I was 46 at the time. 

It’s practically impossible to watch this without weeping… So powerful and so “adult” for a children’s show. 

Edited by ATXhorn17
Update — tearing up after a rewatch
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, mchookem said:

kills me still...image.png.ff39f688f959a4ae54c5dc2644b298c0.png

and this...A Day In The Death... the whole ep, but the fluffernutter...ugh...

image.thumb.png.2daa5cac47ec471160d4ea2decbe5e61.png

image.png.5ba638bc803d96ce251663d9763d081f.png

...and then they pulled the rug! and we had to go thru the entire emotional roller coaster again a couple eps later! 😡 such stupid writing... but Dean Winters acted his ass off.

Jimmy Smits' death scene was so much like my father's last moments that I lost it while watching it and was haunted for a long time after. It's the kind of acting you don't expect to see, perfect and tragic and close.

• Like 1