2023 Annual Thread of 3 Putting

ocugolf

I grew up working in golf, since I was 16. Love the sport but love the equipment even more. I remember endless talks with many different equipment reps. Ping guy was by far the best and smartest rep. 

Not sure if this is true or not, but it has me damn interested …….

B17F59D0-A419-45A5-8933-E1FCDBE9658A.jpeg

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I grew up working in golf, since I was 16. Love the sport but love the equipment even more. I remember endless talks with many different equipment reps. Ping guy was by far the best and smartest rep. 

Not sure if this is true or not, but it has me damn interested …….

B17F59D0-A419-45A5-8933-E1FCDBE9658A.jpeg

paging @capnamerca

Flying out to Bandon in 10 days and CAN NOT FUCKING WAIT.

Plan and participants:
Me, currently a 19, wildly inconsistent (shot 77-108 back to back last year).
Brother RT, currently about a 12, gets frustrated when it starts going south, short game is wedge-based, two factors that may be rough.
Dad DT, currently about a 25, good hybrid bump and run short game, just no distance. Fatigue is a factor and concern.
Best friend JK, currently about a 17, pretty weak short game and putting.

Jan 11 - 330 Bandon Preserve
Jan 12 - 950 Old Mac - group caddie
Jan 13 - 1240 Bandon Dunes - group caddie
Jan 14 - 950 Sheep Ranch - group caddie
Jan 15 - 1130 Bandon Trails - regular caddies
Jan 16 - 840 Pacific Dunes - regular caddies
Jan 17 - 900 Bandon Preserve, then drive to Portland and fly home

We are playing skins on every hole, 18 hole round robin matches each main round, 90 hole round robin matches also, and playing 2 v 2 best ball the first 3 rounds rotating partners. Then for the last two rounds, the guy who is up the most will team with the guy who is down the most to play the other two in a 36 hole best ball, with the double bag caddies each assigned to one of the teams.

RT is playing green, JK and I are playing gold (tho will prob hit a few of the epic tee shots (like Bandon 16, Sheep 6) from the green tees where appropriate), and DT is playing orange, and JK and I get 5 strokes from RT and DT gets 10 (and 5 from JK and I obv).

Also, got Arccos in December, have played 2 rounds with it so far and love all the data etc. It doesn't do great detecting putts, so still working on that aspect just a bit. But as a supreme stats nerd, worth it just for the info, any actual benefit to my game is a huge plus. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

4 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Tungsten. Do not want.

it’s very real, probably spring drop date. The first batch will sell out in minutes. They look like Taylor made clones and seems like they were designed just down the street from TM 

https://golf.com/gear/costco-bolstering-its-golf-gear-with-shocking-equipment-reveal/

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Flying out to Bandon in 10 days and CAN NOT FUCKING WAIT.

Plan and participants:
Me, currently a 19, wildly inconsistent (shot 77-108 back to back last year).
Brother RT, currently about a 12, gets frustrated when it starts going south, short game is wedge-based, two factors that may be rough.
Dad DT, currently about a 25, good hybrid bump and run short game, just no distance. Fatigue is a factor and concern.
Best friend JK, currently about a 17, pretty weak short game and putting.

Jan 11 - 330 Bandon Preserve
Jan 12 - 950 Old Mac - group caddie
Jan 13 - 1240 Bandon Dunes - group caddie
Jan 14 - 950 Sheep Ranch - group caddie
Jan 15 - 1130 Bandon Trails - regular caddies
Jan 16 - 840 Pacific Dunes - regular caddies
Jan 17 - 900 Bandon Preserve, then drive to Portland and fly home

We are playing skins on every hole, 18 hole round robin matches each main round, 90 hole round robin matches also, and playing 2 v 2 best ball the first 3 rounds rotating partners. Then for the last two rounds, the guy who is up the most will team with the guy who is down the most to play the other two in a 36 hole best ball, with the double bag caddies each assigned to one of the teams.

RT is playing green, JK and I are playing gold (tho will prob hit a few of the epic tee shots (like Bandon 16, Sheep 6) from the green tees where appropriate), and DT is playing orange, and JK and I get 5 strokes from RT and DT gets 10 (and 5 from JK and I obv).

Also, got Arccos in December, have played 2 rounds with it so far and love all the data etc. It doesn't do great detecting putts, so still working on that aspect just a bit. But as a supreme stats nerd, worth it just for the info, any actual benefit to my game is a huge plus. 

Embrace using your putter or a hybrid or 3 wood from around the greens rather than trying to pitch or chip.

Also, don’t get your nose stuck in yardage books or golf apps. Let the caddies do their job, listen to them, and ENJOY THE UNBELIEVABLE VIEWS!

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

I had a weird/fun round just before Christmas at the pasture pool course I grew up playing.  I doubled the first hole and shot 40 on the front nine but hit the ball really well.  I got it going on the back and shot 35 with 3 birds.  Chipped in on a par 3 and had two kick away birdies where I hit my approach to ~2 feet.  The best part was I was playing with my dad and my 2 young sons and it is only the 2nd time I've ever beat my dad.  He's 73 and has started to make a habit of shooting at or under his age. 

He wouldn't admit it, but I could tell he was grinding his ass off down the stretch trying to catch me.  I think he ended up with a 77.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Lol! Yep, we have a huge driving range and it’s been packed the last week.

US Am Tour is struggling to get us on courses recently. No one wants/needs our business. Their tee sheets are already full with people willing to pay full rack rate.

Golf is apparently not dead after all

grass range ? [mention=241]Lurch[/mention]

No, we invested in mats and use them 95% of the time. While not originally a fan, I’ve come to accept them and they do have some positives over grass. Plus we got shades and lights installed so I can go out there regardless of weather/time
  • Hook 'Em 1

also have to factor in how much money is being skimmed off a golf course. my dad lives in a smaller town, with a 9 hole course. the place was always a dump. in the past, my dad ran golf boards over seeing golf courses, so a group asked him to run for their board. he wins, gets elected president and promptly asks for the past 3 audits. 3 board members quit (including the ex president) and the secretary quits. turns out there were no audits going on. turns out, they were stealing so much money, some months they'd have to put money back in to make payroll. took about a year to get the course in decent shape, and the greens are damn excellent. amazing what happens when you can buy the proper fertilizers and chemicals, have running equipment and such. fairways now have grass instead of half weeds, and properly shaped. as the money comes available, they're slowly rebuilding (and up) all the tee boxes. 

• Like 1

I love this fucking sport.  I love to drink and gamble whilst playing.

Goals for the year:

Break 70

scratch index

advance pass round 1 in club championship

beat DDD out of a dime or two

trips currently scheduled:

LACC/Riv/Bel Air

Ireland (RCD, Portrush, Ballybunion and others)

trips working on:

Sand HIlls, Shinnecock, National

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 9:00 AM, babysdaddy said:

I love this fucking sport.  I love to drink and gamble whilst playing.

Goals for the year:

Break 70

scratch index

advance pass round 1 in club championship

beat DDD out of a dime or two

trips currently scheduled:

LACC/Riv/Bel Air

Ireland (RCD, Portrush, Ballybunion and others)

trips working on:

Sand HIlls, Shinnecock, National

Nice LA trip.  I’ve played LACC once a few years ago and it is very cool.  I love playing old courses that now are pretty much in the middle of a big city.   

• Hook 'Em 2

Been struggling getting adjusted to my new clubs for about 2 months now but I am finally getting used to them and the distances for the irons/wedges.  Shot a 41 on the front 9 at my course today which is my best 9 holes ever there  (As a 15 handicap this is good for me).   Screwed up the back 9 with a 46 for a overall 87.  Being able to hit irons that actually have great loft is something I have never been able to do but now with my new sticks it is happening quite often and making me love golf again.  Same goes for the driver actually getting a good ball flight versus what I used to do, low line drives.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

Nice. You know it’s in there

Yeah.  I had a triple on a par 3 where I got hosed by hitting the ball into a deep bunker right against the lip.  Then hit the lip and it wedged on the side of the trap where I had to stand outside the bunker and hit a ball in the bunker below my feet which hit the lip again.  Still shot 41 and really didn’t have any crazy long putts drop (none) or any crazy chips that went in or anything like that so if that stuff happens then I could definitely break 40 on 9 holes and 80 on 18 which has been my goal for about 30 years. 

Yeah.  I had a triple on a par 3 where I got hosed by hitting the ball into a deep bunker right against the lip.  Then hit the lip and it wedged on the side of the trap where I had to stand outside the bunker and hit a ball in the bunker below my feet which hit the lip again.  Still shot 41 and really didn’t have any crazy long putts drop (none) or any crazy chips that went in or anything like that so if that stuff happens then I could definitely break 40 on 9 holes and 80 on 18 which has been my goal for about 30 years. 

It’s such a satisfying accomplishment. Keep playing frequently and you should get there now that you’re in the ballpark.

It’s such a satisfying accomplishment. Keep playing frequently and you should get there now that you’re in the ballpark.

Yep, this. Fun to read about your progress. I’m going through something similar and that’s why I keep going back out there.

Thanks to my big stick, 78 from the old man’s tees yesterday.  That was with a skulled 35 yard approach on a par 5 that led to a double bogey and three bad 3 putts.  Two birdies though.  Equipment and balls are so good that at 60 I’m hitting the ball as far, if not farther, as I ever have.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

First golf trip since before COVID is in the planning stages!

Looks like a mid July trip to include Sand Valley (booked), Lido (booked), Lac La Belle, and Lawsonia. Might sprinkle in a Chicago area course since we're going to fly in and out of ORD.

I cannot wait but holy shit, I'm really pumped for Lido. Of course... It better actually open on time.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, as noted above, finally took the trip to Bandon January 11-17. Gonna have a long post here, with my overall review, and then a spoilered post with round by round details and pics for the obsessed ha. Definitely appreciate those here who encouraged me to just take the trip back a year or two ago when I mentioned being worried that I'd be eaten alive. For reference, my current index fluctuates from 19-21 or so, but wildly inconsistent (shot 77-108 back to back last year). 

Went with my dad (prob a 25 cap, good short game and bump and run game, short distance now, concern over walking fatigue), brother (about a 12 cap, mainly plays short game shots by lofting with a wedge which isn't the best here), and best friend (roughly my level of game). We played skins for all 90 holes, played singles match round robin all rounds, and the first 3 rounds we did 2 v 2 best ball matches rotating partners so everyone was paired. Then after round 3, we took the person up the most and down the most and paired them vs the other two for a 36 hole match for the last two rounds (with the thought that would help for any strokes that were off or anyone playing particularly good or bad). 

Brother played the green tees, me and buddy the gold, dad the orange. Brother was giving 5 shots to me and buddy and 10 to dad. 

First things first, just an elite, elite trip and time. I'm pretty spoiled now on most any other golf trip and am already looking at calendars and trying to figure a return. It's like when the studio greenlights a sequel on the first day's box office returns. To me, Bandon so perfectly hits the mark on niceness/luxury without ever being snobby or pretentious or unwelcoming.

Day 1 - Travel Day
As noted, we started off with the crushing news of the FAA flight grounding literally 30 minutes before taking off. Buddy was already in Portland, since he had to take 3 flights to get there, he left the day before, so we had some panic moments before getting going about 2 hours late.

We had a 330 Preserve time and we were hopeful to make it, but my brother very occasionally gets nausea from tension headaches and had an attack after we landed, and then another before we got out of Portland, then another when we arrived, so that wasn't going to work. We arrived at sunset, and I went out and stood on the 1st tee at Bandon Dunes, just in awe that the months and months of planning and prep had come to this.

We checked into our Chrome Lake Double room, and were so pleased that they were able to finalize our reservation for the same room the entire stay without having to check in and out, would have certainly been quite the hassle. The room was ample for four guys who aren't concerned about sharing beds, but a tiny bit snug, especially when spreading clubs out to dry out, etc. Separate rooms for toilet and shower certainly helped, haha. Beds were comfortable, in-room coffee a plus, and they replenished us with unlimited (aluminum) water bottles. My dad and I also got the $20 Bandon Yeti tumblers at check-in to fill with water throughout the trip.

Brother stayed in the room, the other 3 of us grabbed a shuttle and hit McKee's Pub for dinner. We were constantly impressed about how quick and friendly the shuttles were. Again surreal to read about and think about a place forever and find yourself there. I got the meatloaf, would recommend, 8/10. We also chopped some buffalo wings, which were tasty and large (8/10).

Headed back to the room and dreamed of the Ghost Tree.

Day 2 - Old Mac & Bandon Preserve
We had a 950 tee time at Old Mac, so we grabbed a shuttle to the practice center about 800. Got a breakfast muffin sandwich and some Bandon Protein Balls at the center, along with the free coffee. Highly recommend both! Practice facility was fantastic, even though this was the only day we used it. Wish I had it to use every day.

Got over to Mac about 920. We had a group caddie for our first 3 rounds, then full caddies for the final 2. We met our group caddie "Brownbear" and he was quite the character. Of his first 30 words to us, probably 6 were "fuck", which didn't bother any of us in the slightest, but I can imagine that some groups might be taken aback. I'll sum up my feelings overall on the caddies at the end. I will say up front that he busted his ass to make sure we all were getting what we needed on each shot even as a group caddie, which I was curious about going in.

The wind during this round was 20-30mph gusting to 40. Rain began as we teed off, and was off and on, probably raining about 10 of the holes, almost always in the misty to light rain range. If you had told me this would be the weather beforehand, I would have been really disappointed, but I had an absolute BLAST. It helped that it was around 60 degrees, but there is just something about that weather on links courses. It just felt like a fun adventure. I bought the waterproof bucket hat ($45) and strongly, strongly recommend it. It kept my head totally dry and kept the rain out of my face and from running down my neck into my clothes. I had rain gear in the bag but actually never put it on. We used the Rikshas for our clubs, which rolled very easily, although mine did actually blow over once.

I loved this golf course quite a bit. Ghost Tree is such an iconic figure, and the reveals on 3 fairway and 7 green were just phenomenal. Loved how it felt like the course had been there for centuries. The holes into the wind obviously played difficult, but mitigated that by playing proper tees, and taking the mindset that par is completely arbitrary, you aren't entitled to reach a hole in two just because it says "4" on the scorecard.

After the round, the wind and rain piped down, and we decided to see if we could get out on the Preserve to make up for our missed round the day before. There was a group that had times from 245-315 blocked, but hadn't arrived or called, and they sent us out at 300. We did some impromptu skins with my dad teeing off front tees, and the rest of us teeing off the back tees. What a completely fun track! It was a bit more of a walk and time commit than I anticipated, and my dad started wearing down about the 9th hole, as did my buddy. We played the 13th from the front tee with just putters and it was pretty damn dark! Brother and I both made par with putter in the dark, and the sun setting over the last couple holes in calm weather while sipping a beer was really epic.

Also snagged a TurtleFur beanie ($35) at the Trails clubhouse and strongly recommend it as well, really comfy and kept heat in perfectly.

We went back to McKee's, this time with pops staying back in the room (he was totally bushed and is a camel and goes forever without eating, he played poker in Tunica once for 20 hours straight with no food), and my brother getting to check it out since he missed the night before. I got the cheese board and a bowl of clam chowder. Cheese board was good (7/10), chowder I loved (9.5/10). I'm not a chowder expert, so dunno how it compares, but this was great with lots of chunks of clam.

Day 3 - Bandon Dunes
We had a 1240 at Bandon on this day, which I had some concerns on getting in by dark, but I knew sunset on the closing holes at Bandon was raved about. I asked Brownbear during the Old Mac round if we would finish the next day and he confidently said that we would. I would learn that one of the biggest upsides and drawbacks of the Bear was his relentless confidence in what he was saying, no matter what haha.

We hit the Tufted Puffin Lounge breakfast buffet in the morning and, I gotta say, for $18.50 including coffee, it was one hell of a deal. Really enjoyed the Tillamook cheddar eggs, the steel cut oats bar, and the various and sundry pastries, plus really good ham/sausage/bacon.

The weather we had for Bandon was superb, wind 10 with occasional gusts to 15-20, and probably 2-3 holes worth of light rain. Then around the 14th hole, the sun peeked through the clouds just in time for the stretch of 15-16-17, which was just indescribably cool. We played 18 in pretty close to darkness. We thought the group behind us was hollering for us on 16 to hurry up (I had an epic calamity, but we waited on the group in front of us on every shot from about 13 forward), but they came up after and apologized and said they were hollering back at the group behind them who was yelling at them.

Going into the trip, I would have said that Bandon was the least likely to be my favorite, but as I sit here, Bandon Dunes is without question the greatest golf course I have ever played. It probably doesn't hurt that I played maybe the best stretch of golf of my life from holes 4 through 15, but 3 of the 4 of us agreed that BD is #1. It's just the absolute perfect mix of forgiveness and challenge, every hole is appealing and fun, and the way it builds and recedes, builds and recedes is just exquisite. If every round of golf I played for the rest of my life was on BD, I would die happy.

After packing up, we went in and did dinner at the Puffin again, which allowed us to get the Forge menu, without the steakhouse vibe, especialy since we were still all golfed up. I got a filet with truffle butter, and got the crispy brussel sprouts and cauliflower off the lounge menu for my side. 9/10. Everyone else got the scallops and raved about them. The bread, including the asiago rolls, beforehand also hit the spot for sure, as did the cheesecake mousse afterward.

Day 4 - Sheep Ranch
We had a 950a at the Sheep Ranch, and the weather forecast was somewhere between mediocre and bad depending (I had 4 different sources for weather info haha). But I was invigorated by the Old Mac experience, knowing that I would enjoy the day in all but the very worst of conditions. We arrived at SR around 830 and got some breakfast. My brother and I split the corned beef burrito and black forest ham and gouda on telera roll so we could try both. Really enjoyed both, prob 8/10 on burrito and 8.5/10 on the ham. Brother and I went to hit a few at the SR range, and I really loved the secluded vibe there. Dad and buddy saved energy and just putted ha.

As we teed off, it was basically pure calm, dry, and about 52. Uh, yes, please? The sun completely emerged for much of the front nine. Wind picked up late in the front nine, and kept a steady 15-20 for most of the rest of the time. As we hit the 13-14 range, we could see rain in the south, with the south wind carrying it our way. It began sprinkling around 15 tee, and raining pretty hard on 16 green and pelted us throughout 17 and 18. Was pretty pleased to finish par-par on those holes in the heaviest rain we played in with the wind bouncing it off our faces.

The scenery at Sheep Ranch was beyond compare. Just a constant buffet of cotton candy views. I liked the golf the least of the five here, a few of the holes felt "standard" and the par 3s felt more "view" than "golf" to me. The greens were the bumpiest of the 5 courses that we played also. It was my 5th-ranked course for the week, but that's not to disparage it, it is also the 5th best golf course I've played in my life. My buddy said it's the one he would play if he could just have one perfect weather round, and I would definitely choose it to bring a non-golfer to stroll along on.

After the round, we had hoped to do Shorty's or Punchbowl, but 30mph wind and solid sheets of rain wasn't appealing. Was also wanting to sit by the fire pit at Sheep and eat lunch but it isn't covered, so we ate standing in the golf shop. Got the pastrami hoagie as recommended and holy fuck, 10/10. So good. My dad got the BLT and also raved about it.

Got a shuttle back to the room and just dozed a bit and watched the playoff games while the rain poured. It subsided some and we went back to McKee's. Had originally planned on doing Bandon Town but it never worked out either due to weather, energy level, or the place we wanted to go closing early. I got the Popper burger (8/10) with a cup of the chowder instead of fries. When we left it was freezing, howling, and pouring, which was the only moment of the trip I was physically uncomfortable due to weather. It was BRUTAL in the moment, got the shivers and couldn't stop (it didn't help that I casually threw on golf pants and a long sleeve polo rather than layering up like I would if I was going to be playing).

Day 5 - Punchbowl & Bandon Trails
We had an 1130 at Trails, which was going to be our first round with full caddies (both for the trip and lifetime). We hit the Puffin buffet again, then my brother and I hit the Punchbowl while dad and buddy chilled in the room. The routing wasn't up, but we had the whole thing literally to ourselves. We spent a few minutes just hitting putts as hard as we could and watching them fly up and down the incredibly undulating mounds. Then we started doing 3-ball contests, picking our own tee boxes and holes, and seeing who could get 3 balls down in the least strokes. It was our own version of the old Sheep Ranch ha.

We met at Trails at 11 and hooked up with Brownbear and Joe who would be our caddies. The weather system was moving on, though we teed off into the teeth of a 30mph wind. The wind eased as we moved into the woods on 3 (in addition to the shelter from the trees) down to a standard 10mph or so. We got light rain off and on for 5 holes or so, and then a pretty moderate cool rain as we played 18.

I also love love loved this golf course. The feeling on the reveals as you go through the trail tunnels and then open into these standalone ampitheaters is something I hadn't ever had before. The spot of Keiser's inspiration near 14 tee, then 14 tee itself is also truly spectacular, even if you dropkicksnaphook your drive into the garbage.

I really enjoyed being able to just walk the course completely unencumbered by the clubs. I didn't find the walk to be as long/difficult as many mention, though obviously the caddie takes some of the effort. I can also imagine pushing the Riksha on some of those mulchy trails is a bitch. I did get pretty winded hiking up the giant dune right of 2 hunting down my tee shot as the sand is soooo soft you just sink into it.

We sat at Trails End afterward to watch the end of Giants-Vikings and dry off and have a beverage or 3, then back to the room to chill for a bit. We ended up once again at McKee's for the second half of Jags-Chargers (WOW) and the TAP burger (8.5/10), with chili (6/10) as the side. I liked McKee's just fine and was happy with it, but the group seemed to prefer it a bit more than I did, would have prob done Puffin an extra time or two, but all good!

Day 6 - Pacific Dunes & Punchbowl
We had an early 840 time, and the forecast was for chilly temps, but no wind and no rain. Grabbed a ham and cheese on everything bagel sandwich (6.5/10) and headed to the tee. Was about 40 when we teed off and it ended up a dead solid perfect bluebird "Bandiego" day. Sun was out and the wind never got to 5mph. I played terribly on the front, which was disappointing, but ended up playing pretty well on the back until I botched the 18th, which leaves a bad taste borking the last hole of a trip like this.

Again, just a truly phenomenal golf course, visually and architecturally. The greens were perfect and by far the fastest of the trip. I can imagine what a bitch that course can be when firm and a solid 20-30 mph wind going.

Headed back up to Pac Grill and got the recommended grilled bacon and cheese and it lived up to the hype, along with a cup of seafood chowder ( both 10/10). We then debated on what to do. Brother and I were down to replay one of the big courses and get maybe 12 holes in, but dad and buddy were pretty cashed and we didn't really wanna ditch them, so we hit the Punchbowl since it was there, and free, and they hadn't seen it the day before. Routing was up, and we had skins carried over from Preserve and from Pac, so we put them all on the line on an 18 hole stroke play comp. We then went around again doing some more skins. Beer and whiskey were flowing, and we were behind a huge group that was pretty slow, so we got to 17 in dark. 18 pushed, and we played it 4 more times in the pure dark to break the tie.

Just a truly world-class day of fun with perfect weather to wrap up. For departure day, we just hit the Puffin buffet again, and grabbed some merch at the various shops and rolled north back to PDX, with no travel shenanigans, reliving some life-changing moments from the trip.

Final Rankings
1. Bandon Dunes
2. Bandon Trails
3. Pacific Dunes
4. Old Mac
5. Sheep Ranch

I love all of these courses and would do anything to play any of them tomorrow, but I feel very solid on these ranks, except Trails/Pac are suuuuuuper close.

Caddie Review
Our caddies were super nice, and fun to be around. They definitely helped a ton with pace, knowing where to go next, etc. I also really enjoyed just strolling down the fairway, and of course the boss feel of sticking a par 3 and just walking from tee to green with putter in hand.

I think I should perhaps be a bit more forceful in trying to get the information that I want rather than what is good for most golfers. I am very data-oriented and would rather know things like "actual distance is 137, I'd say two club wind, and half-club uphill" vs. "play a 150 shot" since then my brain is wondering how that number was reached. I also went in planning to go one club up on most shots and aim for the middle of the green after reading Jon Sherman's book, and felt like I didn't do that as much as I wanted. I think I got a little cruise control mentally, and found it a bit harder to get back on track when things went sideways.

I also think Brownbear was mainly giving approach lines to give the best putt rather than to skew away from the worst miss, if that makes sense. I did start asking more questions and choosing lines to avoid death misses.

I would be on the fence on using caddies the next time, especially given that for the last two rounds, the caddies were 60% of the total cost of the round, with the green fee only 40%. Would I rather have a caddie or play another round on Bandon AND another on Preserve?

Overall Thoughts
As said, best trip ever, so good, 17/10 overall. Can't wait to get back. I would have loved to have a day in between each big course to let each one marinate, but that's not realistic. I got a bit on "fast forward" at times, especially kind of being the one responsible to corral our group, make our plans, make sure our slow guys stayed on pace (a warning from the marshal at Pac about pace directly preceded my worst golf stretch of the trip), and it felt like the whole thing went so fast. Definitely must hit up the town next time, and work more on my fkn sand game before I go back! Looking at the stretch from Nov 2024 to Feb 2025, though God knows I don't wanna wait that long!

Golf deets and pics to come soon, for any interested.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4