2023 Annual Thread of 3 Putting

ocugolf

Every 18-25 yr old dude is a yet to be discovered YouTube golf star. It finally happened. On Friday, got stuck behind a 4 ball who filmed every fucking shot, at least for the first 3 holes until we laid into their asses to keep up with the pace of play. All 4 in 2 carts would drive to each balls and film the shot. They were probably 2 holes behind. Complained to the marshal on the 2nd hold but he didn't do fuck. He watched as we waited on the 2nd tee box as they drove to film each shot on a par 5. 

Yes, they sucked. No idea what would lead them to believe anyone would watch a bunch of hacks "play" golf.

• Haha 1

Spring cleaning some, these need to go ….

two sets of ping tour model wedges 52, 56, 60 (not matched sets) and a cleaveland classic RTG 60. All need new grips. Faces are near perfect. Very good hitting clubs 

free to anyone in the Houston or San Antonio area. Austin area, let’s meet for a bbq lunch ? 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Spring cleaning some, these need to go ….
two sets of ping tour model wedges 52, 56, 60 (not matched sets) and a cleaveland classic RTG 60. All need new grips. Faces are near perfect. Very good hitting clubs 
free to anyone in the Houston or San Antonio area. Austin area, let’s meet for a bbq lunch ? 

I’m in San Antonio and am happy to help take those off your hands.

1 hour ago, huge said:

I dont remember that 3w at all and I am of the age to remember most of your clubs.

Looks funky, I like it.  Pretty different than the new sleek bastard I bought.

head is a little smaller. At the time, ping was ahead of the curve with ‘hot face’ technology. the driver for this model, just didn’t sit or feel right, but they nailed the fairway woods 

Ping has always had excellent engineering on their clubs, took them a little while to come around on their woods. The old ping persimmon woods were hideous. 

only ping can properly re-shaft it, takes a special insert. Hopefully the still have a couple laying around. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 10:50 PM, Trynapigdog said:

I’m in San Antonio and am happy to help take those off your hands.

3 more clubs given away and I hope my free swing tip helps. Those clubs have plenty of good hits in them

I have one more set of ping wedges and 1 Cleveland classic RTG 60, if anyone wants them 

• Like 1

Now that the weather is getting warm in N Texas I am finally starting to get used to the new sticks I got in October and my game is finally getting decent for me.  Shot a 86 on Saturday (I was helped by sinking 4 putts over 10 feet) and then today I shot a 85 (40 on the front 9) without making a single putt and 3 putting 4 times. I have been shooting in the low to mid 90’s so this is an improvement for me and I feel like if I can consistently shoot in the mid 80’s I can consider myself a decent golfer and not an embarrassment out there. Will try again mid week to see if I can shoot the same type of score.  Golf is much more enjoyable when you hit the ball well apparently.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

@Beantown Express 2.0 what did you get and the shafts ?

Got professionally fitted at Sellingers Golf in Dallas.  Really good guys in a little shop that do the clubs for a lot of pros (Scheffler, Spieth, Fowler, Ryan Palmer, Romo, etc…).  When I got fitted Scheffler was there working out while the guy that fitted me and was watching me was also bending Scheffler’s new irons.  I got a Rogue Driver,  Titleist TSR3 3 wood, Titleist T300 irons, Cleveland CBX wedges.  I really wanted the new Ping irons and driver from last year but I hit these other clubs better so he said you got to go with what you hit well.  I did hit the Mizuno Hot Metal irons slightly better than the Titleist irons as far as dispersion goes but I did not like the look of them when I was at address so the fitter said go with the Titleist.  The shafts ended up being stock for the most part as he said I didn’t need to spend more money for higher end shafts.  He did make sure I was stiff flex on the driver but regular flex on the 3 wood for example plus the right length and lie angles for my swing.  The irons are steel shaft.  Not sure what kind but they say,” NS Pro Modus, Tour 105 Nippon Shaft, Stiff flex.  I already got fitted for my LAB putter 6 months ago which is fantastic and I can’t speak highly enough about how that has helped my putting because I was a shitty putter.  Like I could shoot mid 90’s with 50 putts in a round.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 more clubs given away and I hope my free swing tip helps. Those clubs have plenty of good hits in them
I have one more set of ping wedges and 1 Cleveland classic RTG 60, if anyone wants them 

The swing tip was showing promise at the driving range. I’m looking forward to putting it all together on the course this weekend. Thanks again for the clubs!

10 minutes ago, Trynapigdog said:

The swing tip was showing promise at the driving range. I’m looking forward to putting it all together on the course this weekend. Thanks again for the clubs!

Forgot to mention, press your hands forward a little bit with wedges. Find the best hand position they what works for you. If your hands aren’t ahead of that wedge, you’ll hit a poor shot 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 3:24 PM, crash_davis said:

Every 18-25 yr old dude is a yet to be discovered YouTube golf star. It finally happened. On Friday, got stuck behind a 4 ball who filmed every fucking shot, at least for the first 3 holes until we laid into their asses to keep up with the pace of play. All 4 in 2 carts would drive to each balls and film the shot. They were probably 2 holes behind. Complained to the marshal on the 2nd hold but he didn't do fuck. He watched as we waited on the 2nd tee box as they drove to film each shot on a par 5. 

Yes, they sucked. No idea what would lead them to believe anyone would watch a bunch of hacks "play" golf.

Just tell them you are playing thru and pass them?

Black horse in Houston, South course

Fun but what the fuck some of the par 4 with hole placement behind a bunker you are hitting 175+ to the other side of the green from the pin it's impossible to go for it and get a reasonable putt

Par 5s were beautiful and very simple to birdy

3s were mostly eye candy keeping it tough

Awesome course, don't think I'd pay $160 to play it more than once a year though. I think the longest golf cart bridge I've ever seen

PXL_20230420_194216068.jpg

Played two rounds over the weekend.  Shot a 90 and a 85.  What is strange is a hit the ball much better when I shot the 90 but the golf luck on mis hits helped me with the 85 round.  The greens at my club were punched a few weeks ago so I am losing a few strokes easily to putting on greens where the ball just bounces around.  Hoping to drop my 13 handicap to that 10 level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ordered an Autoflex driver shaft today after getting fit for one at my club by the Titleist rep. Put it in my TSR2 and was just bombing it.

Of course now I’m having to have surgery on my wrist so I get to watch it sit in my bag for a while

Found this amusing just now

1cc83f9809f1be467c4a1a718cb7e9d7.jpg

54 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Playing UT golf club for the first time next Friday, anyone have any tips? (25-26 handicap btw...I'll probably be playing from the front tees or one back)

Coming off a 105 this past Saturday at Mo Willie (with 46 putts...yikes)

Play the front tees 

my dad is 100% sr tees now. I haven’t had this much fun playing golf in a long time, playing the sr tees 

Playing the front tees just about anywhere is a blast. Don’t go back out of some sense of obligation. You’ll still experience the whole course, and removing that feeling of needing to bomb it helps most players’ games.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Ordered an Autoflex driver shaft today after getting fit for one at my club by the Titleist rep. Put it in my TSR2 and was just bombing it.

Of course now I’m having to have surgery on my wrist so I get to watch it sit in my bag for a while emoji35.png

Found this amusing just now

1cc83f9809f1be467c4a1a718cb7e9d7.jpg

The Autoflex is tits.  I can’t even begin to understand it but damn if it doesn’t go straighter and longer.  5 or 6 guys in my Friday/Saturday game have put one in their driver and the difference is noticeable.  Report back when you get back on the course.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 2:23 PM, LonghornSean said:

Playing UT golf club for the first time next Friday, anyone have any tips? (25-26 handicap btw...I'll probably be playing from the front tees or one back)

Bring plenty of golf balls so you don't have to buy more at the turn.  Right, @longhorn10, @blacklab?

Edited by DDD Dad

On 4/26/2023 at 2:23 PM, LonghornSean said:

Hole 5 is a beast second shot long and uphill. Go ahead and play it like a par 5. 

Hole 15 has great views of the lake. 

Make sure to play the par 3 course after your round.

I was able to get my hands on a box of the new Kirkland balls. The few reports on Reddit and Golfwrx state that the ball spins way less, launch higher, and have higher ball flight. I compared the dimples and to my old eyes, the dimple pattern stayed the same. Someone cut open a Pro VI, V2 Kirkland, and V3 Kirkland. The shell on the V3 Kirkland is noticeably thicker than the V2. 

I will play a round with the new balls this afternoon. Will report my anecdotal findings.

OK, Houston golf nerds, my company bought a foursome at Bluejack at a charity auction. I know nothing about it, but one of our employees who golfs a lot said it's the best golf course within ~500 miles. It's it worth flying down to play? Original plan was for one of my partners to take clients, but if it is that cool, i might come down and bump a client spot.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

OK, Houston golf nerds, my company bought a foursome at Bluejack at a charity auction. I know nothing about it, but one of our employees who golfs a lot said it's the best golf course within ~500 miles. It's it worth flying down to play? Original plan was for one of my partners to take clients, but if it is that cool, i might come down and bump a client spot.

Tiger woods designed. There are a few videos of people playing it. Looks incredible.

• Like 1

Potential bucket list course. Must play
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Totally worth it.  The experience is as good or better than the course itself.  Just absolute first class from the time you pull through the guard shack.  It'll go to 11 when the permanent clubhouse is built.  If you can pull off staying in one of the cabins, do it.  The lighted par 3 course is a freakin blast after a nice dinner.  I'll be back there in two weeks.  Playing with a good friend that's a member.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah i'd come down for Bluejack.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 9:05 AM, crash_davis said:

I was able to get my hands on a box of the new Kirkland balls. The few reports on Reddit and Golfwrx state that the ball spins way less, launch higher, and have higher ball flight. I compared the dimples and to my old eyes, the dimple pattern stayed the same. Someone cut open a Pro VI, V2 Kirkland, and V3 Kirkland. The shell on the V3 Kirkland is noticeably thicker than the V2. 

I will play a round with the new balls this afternoon. Will report my anecdotal findings.

Played an early 18 at Hancock. 

V3 ball is noticeably firmer than V2. Definitely less spin. I don't hit drivers at Hancock because the course is too short for driver, except number 6 but the tees were up today so hit 3 wood. As such, don't have any feedback on how it does off the driver.

It was basically even with the Pro V1 on distance. There's a caveat there since Hancock is such a short course. The greens are soft and slow at Hancock so didn't get a great feel for spins on the green. 

If I were to compare V3, I think it plays similar to a Srixon Z-Star. 

I'm playing Lions tomorrow so will get an even better feel for the ball.

After one short round, I think I would have absolutely no issues playing with this ball vs other premium urethane balls. That was NOT the case with V2.

• Hook 'Em 2

Shot 78 at Lions. Same Kirkland V3 ball. Cover hardly has any scuffs at the end of the round. Can definitely use the ball again for another round. The cover is hardier and definitely firmer than V2. Didn't spin back on greens like a Pro V1 but didn't roll out like a surlyn cover ball. Checked decently enough on chips around the green. Felt like i was about 10 yards short on my 3 wood drives into the wind on 12 and 16. My approach on 16 into a stiff wind also fell short of the green. I think I prob would have the same results with other balls. 

I really like the new ball and will use it for a few more rounds. It's much improved from V2. IMO it really does feel and play like a Srixon Z-Star.

On 5/6/2023 at 12:44 PM, crash_davis said:

If I were to compare V3, I think it plays similar to a Srixon Z-Star. 

I thought the theory was the V2 was a Z-Star? In my experience, but the V2 and Z-Star were too spinny for my swing so that theory always jived with me.

Was +8 through 8 trying for my 4th straight round around 90, working hard to lower my handicap. Playing pretty well, playing tees a bit further back than I normally would. Had a gross triple where I hit a sprinkler head with a beautiful 7 iron approach that went flying into junk and then my pitch stopped riiiiight before a big downslope which would have taken it down to the flag and I 3-putted.

Lightning moves in and they blow the horn.

At about 4:45 (sunset just after 😎 they announce they are closing the course. Very little rain had fallen on the course, so no conditions issues (there had def been lightning, I don't fault the hrn). Radar and forecasts indicate everything should be clear about 5:15-5:30.

I had played 8 holes, so I get a prorated 10 hole rain check at the weekday rate. I live 150 miles from the course so that's really not helpful/valuable. The other players who were around were all locals/members so no big deal to any of them. I get not wanting to have staff stay for one guy, but at least help me out with some actual value? Was I wrong to be super steamed about this? I feel like I had $100 stolen from me, and never would have teed off if I thought them closing the course after 0.1" of rain and still hours of daylight left was a possible option, never had that happen before.

In my experience, usually they'll refund half your green fee and call it good but you have to ask - they won't be proactive with it. 

If you feel like you had $100 stolen, rough math says this is a $200 round? If so, I'd say it's even more likely they would have refunded if you pushed back. Goat tracks would probably tell you to pound sand but a $200/round place would hopefully care more.