2023 Annual Thread of 3 Putting

ocugolf

I don't understand. They did help you out with value. You paid for 18, played 8, and they gave you 10 holes of $ back.

I do not understand your complaint at all

They didn’t give $ back, but rather a rain check towards a future round. Fine if you live there, but a poor customer experience if you’re just traveling through. I’d email the GM and ask for a reconsideration for a visitor like you. A smart GM will correct it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

In my experience, usually they'll refund half your green fee and call it good but you have to ask - they won't be proactive with it. 

If you feel like you had $100 stolen, rough math says this is a $200 round? If so, I'd say it's even more likely they would have refunded if you pushed back. Goat tracks would probably tell you to pound sand but a $200/round place would hopefully care more.

It was about $100. I get the idea that I got 8 holes of value, but truly the two most important things to me were to post a score and to get another round of data with my Arccos system. Those both got totally ruined, and for no reason. If they had offered up front "hey pay $25 and we will let you play 8 holes with 3 strangers while waiting on another group" I would have easily declined, much less paying $45 for that privilege, much less paying $100 for that privilege along with a $55 voucher the next time I want to drive 300 miles round trip for golf. I do also understand that my preferences aren't their responsibility, but when they randomly decide to close a golf course despite hours of daylight available, there was no way I could anticipate/plan for that.

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

They didn’t give $ back, but rather a rain check towards a future round. Fine if you live there, but a poor customer experience if you’re just traveling through. I’d email the GM and ask for a reconsideration for a visitor like you. A smart GM will correct it.

Yeah, exactly. In addition to the problem of this being a wasted time/money, the "value" I get is basically worthless. I have to drive 300 miles round trip to not even get a free round, and not even half off if I play on a weekend. 

Basically the prorated rain check would have been annoying either way, but the fact that I could have gotten everything I paid for easily and was denied that opportunity AND denied any real compensation just pissed me off pretty badly. 

Edited by TXSooner518

28 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

It was about $100. I get the idea that I got 8 holes of value, but truly the two most important things to me were to post a score and to get another round of data with my Arccos system. Those both got totally ruined, and for no reason. If they had offered up front "hey pay $25 and we will let you play 8 holes with 3 strangers while waiting on another group" I would have easily declined, much less paying $45 for that privilege, much less paying $100 for that privilege along with a $55 voucher the next time I want to drive 300 miles round trip for golf. I do also understand that my preferences aren't their responsibility, but when they randomly decide to close a golf course despite hours of daylight available, there was no way I could anticipate/plan for that.

Yeah, exactly. In addition to the problem of this being a wasted time/money, the "value" I get is basically worthless. I have to drive 300 miles round trip to not even get a free round, and not even half off if I play on a weekend. 

Basically the prorated rain check would have been annoying either way, but the fact that I could have gotten everything I paid for easily and was denied that opportunity AND denied any real compensation just pissed me off pretty badly. 

Ya, like Lurch and I said, talk with them and make your ask. Even for a $100/round kind of place, that's still pretty high end. I would expect they'll take care of you, you just have to be the one to make the demand.

On 5/7/2023 at 2:16 PM, crash_davis said:

I really like the new ball and will use it for a few more rounds. It's much improved from V2. IMO it really does feel and play like a Srixon Z-Star.

I played 9 holes with the new Kirkland.  I’ve played the Z-star XV before that. Distance is about the same for me. Kirkland doesn’t spin as much, especially around the greens.  Feels good with the putter 

solid golf ball for the price

• Hook 'Em 1

Leaving Thursday for a four day guys trip to Sea Island.  Has anyone been?  I’m pumped but would love to hear from someone who’s been there about what to expect.

It’s been a few years, but I recall really enjoying a 2 day tourney there. It’s just an hour or so north of me and I can tell you our weather has been great recently.

On 5/11/2023 at 1:20 PM, dieucla98 said:

In my experience, usually they'll refund half your green fee and call it good but you have to ask - they won't be proactive with it. 

If you feel like you had $100 stolen, rough math says this is a $200 round? If so, I'd say it's even more likely they would have refunded if you pushed back. Goat tracks would probably tell you to pound sand but a $200/round place would hopefully care more.

I dunno.  Paid like $300 20 years ago to play Harbor Town and they had punched the greens just days before.  Didn't say shit and got no reduction in fees.  Right, @longhorn10?

I shot a 79 just 10 days ago.  Immediately followed it up with high 90s in two tourneys.  I've been to the range a half dozen times since and simply cannot find my swing.  So fucking frustrating.

Take some notes on your phone with what you're feeling PH!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

I shot a 79 just 10 days ago.  Immediately followed it up with high 90s in two tourneys.  I've been to the range a half dozen times since and simply cannot find my swing.  So fucking frustrating.

Take some notes on your phone with what you're feeling PH!

This happens to me all the time.  I’m a 9.4 index and after I shoot a couple of high 70-low 80 rounds and I think I’ve figured something out, I’ll shoot a 95 that brings me back to earth.  And sometimes practice doesn’t seem to help.  Crazy game. 

This happens to me all the time.  I’m a 9.4 index and after I shoot a couple of high 70-low 80 rounds and I think I’ve figured something out, I’ll shoot a 95 that brings me back to earth.  And sometimes practice doesn’t seem to help.  Crazy game. 

You guys are leaving out the unbalanced round. 36 front, 48 back. Or the ever popular 49, 35 split! Crazy game indeed. Just when you’re ready to quit, you hit that one shot, and…
018e3858a7ed68eb6bc822cd77a58e75.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yep, I have a TON of those unbalanced rounds in my scorecard history. Part of it is my home course has a back that’s probably 4 strokes more difficult than the front, but I think mostly it’s just getting too (?) loose and/or tired, mentally and physically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Specific said:

You guys are leaving out the unbalanced round. 36 front, 48 back. Or the ever popular 49, 35 split! Crazy game indeed. Just when you’re ready to quit, you hit that one shot, and…
018e3858a7ed68eb6bc822cd77a58e75.jpg

Those unbalanced rounds are sometimes included in my mid 90 rounds.  But it’s rare that I shoot a 49 or 50 on 9 holes.  My unbalanced rounds usually are in the high 80’s with a 40 or 41 on one of the 9s.  In my case it’s clearly mental.  A couple of bad shots or extremely bad luck on a shot can cause me to get really pissed off and then I’ll string together several double bogeys.  

• Like 4

I've been to the range a half dozen times since and simply cannot find my swing.  So fucking frustrating.

Found it! Wouldn’t you know, it was right where I left it…

I had stopped fully turning my back to the target. Once I ensured I was doing that, the flush shots instantly returned. I think that as I got timid with uncertainty, I subconsciously become more static with my back, leaving my arms and hands out of position and trying to recover distance by themselves.

Good to know I’m not fucking crazy and I really am able to hit the ball properly.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Found it! Wouldn’t you know, it was right where I left it…

I had stopped fully turning my back to the target. Once I ensured I was doing that, the flush shots instantly returned. I think that as I got timid with uncertainty, I subconsciously become more static with my back, leaving my arms and hands out of position and trying to recover distance by themselves.

Good to know I’m not fucking crazy and I really am able to hit the ball properly.

• Haha 1

After the 91 yesterday I shot a 81 again today.  3 putted about 5 holes but did sink a few 10 footers so it kind of balanced out but still think I left at least 2-3 shots on the course which would have put me in the 70s for the first time if I had rolled in a few 4 footers that I missed..  Heading to Maui in a few weeks to play the Kapalua Plantation Course so hopefully I play well enough to enjoy it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 9:04 PM, Planet Houston said:

I’ve just had 2 of those range days where you think you’ve figured the game out. I’ll report back after my inevitable disappointment this weekend. 

Shockingly, this translated to the course this weekend. I played 45 holes in a match play flighted event (five 9-hole best ball matches against the other teams in each flight) and played great with a tough setup. My partner and I tied at the top of our group and lost in a scorecard playoff one down. Frustrating to miss the horse race by a single point after so many holes of golf, but it was great. Probably my biggest accomplishment was not losing a ball in 45 holes over two days. I’m a 14. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Shot 78 in a tournament at Cowboys Golf Club yesterday. I had a 3 putt from 10 feet and doubled the last hole or it would have been one of my best rounds in a long time.

The greens keeper woke up and chose violence with his pin placements though. 3 or 4 different holes where you just could not stop the ball at the hole if you missed going downhill. He had them placed a few feet from false fronts and from the edges in other spots tucked behind traps. I think watching the PGA inspired him to brutalize everyone yesterday. I was above the hole on the 10 ft/3 wiggle and went a tad bit aggressive trying to birdie - ended up with 15 feet coming back up the hill. The course was in great shape and the greens rolled really well.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work at a driving range in hs, re-gripped 1000’s and 1000’s of clubs. Weirdest thing I put a grip on was metal cattle prods. Golf gripped fit them perfect. Did 2 for a kid, then all his friends from ag came in and got the same 

more than once, we’d go pick up all the putters from a putt putt. Getting the old grips off was hell, they were always caked on. That took forever. After that, gripping them was easy. We’d knock them out in one day 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Shot a 79 (net -3) yesterday in a medal play event.  Won my net division flight. My index is now 7.9 the lowest it’s ever been.  I’ll be 61 in two months and I’ve never hit it better and farther.  Gotta love this game.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, HouTex said:

Shot a 79 (net -3) yesterday in a medal play event.  Won my net division flight. My index is now 7.9 the lowest it’s ever been.  I’ll be 61 in two months and I’ve never hit it better and farther.  Gotta love this game.  

Congrats on your upcoming 93 with 7 three putts for tempting the golf gods.

j/k - it really is the greatest game. My old man is 72 and has made a habit of shooting his age or better the last 8 months or so. I hit my drive 30 yards past him and still get smoked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

Congrats on your upcoming 93 with 7 three putts for tempting the golf gods.

j/k - it really is the greatest game. My old man is 72 and has made a habit of shooting his age or better the last 8 months or so. I hit my drive 30 yards past him and still get smoked.

No doubt, though my beta is getting better.  I’ve shot one 95 in the last six months and my last 20 rounds range from 77 to 90 with an average score of 84.  My lowest round ever was a 76 in Colorado at altitude.  It shows you how rare it is for a  guy with a 10 course handicap to shoot 4 or 5 under net.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HouTex said:

No doubt, though my beta is getting better.  I’ve shot one 95 in the last six months and my last 20 rounds range from 77 to 90 with an average score of 84.  My lowest round ever was a 76 in Colorado at altitude.  It shows you how rare it is for a  guy with a legitimate 10 course handicap to shoot 4 or 5 under net.  

If a golfer is honest with their scores, the handicap is amazingly accurate.  The scores pretty much follow a bell curve exactly.  Here are my last 10 scores net to my handicap:

+0.7, -2.3, +1.3, +3.5, +2.3, +1.9, +0.5, -1.3, -0.4, +1.7

And, I think home course plays a big part in that too.  My home course has a few configurations, but handicap and slope ranges from 68.8 / 125 to 71.4 / 137.  My buddy's course is 71.0 / 137.  His course is easily 3-4 strokes tougher than my 71.0 / 137 configuration.

Member-Guest at my club this weekend.  I like that he's a 6 because it'll post, but he'd be a 2 or a 3 if he played my course more often.  Format is interesting.  All scoring is net Stableford.

Thursday - 18 holes: best ball

Friday - 27 holes total, 9 holes: scramble, 9 holes: shamble, 9 holes: alternate shot

Saturday - 18 holes:  individual play

Flighted.  Winners of flights face off in a 3-hole shootout. 

59f21856bf2e69d0f747f5ff22a6cd43.jpg
Just got back from Maui and played the Plantation Course in Kapalua. Crazy hard especially with the 30MPH winds the day I played. I got a greens in regulation on a par 4 and triple bogeyed the hole by putting the lag off the green and down a hill and then chipping up and the ball landing on the green but still rolling back where I was standing at the bottom of the hill. The putting greens were ridiculous with everything towards the ocean being ungodly fast and everything the other way like putting on Velcro. Still had a blast and the views were spectacular.

• Like 2

The craziest thing I saw while playing The Plantation Course was a guy I was playing with hit his drive about 240 yards up a steep hill.  It hit the cart path and somehow started rolling back down the hill, down the cart path.  I swear it took a minute and a half for the ball to roll all the way back down to about 5 feet behind our tee box just off the cart path.  I have never seen a guy drive a ball that far and then have his second shot behind the tee box he just hit from.  At that point we all laughed and started the flow of beer since we knew this was not a day to be angry about our scores.  

I like em.   And I not close to scratch. Been playing one degree closed for a while. I also bought a PXG five wood last year and haven't mesed with it yet but going to loft it down to 4 wood and drop my 3 wood. Read a lot of the better golfers are dropping 3 wood with todays ball technology. 4 or 5 wood gets more height and almost same distance since technology keeps ball in air longer

5 hours ago, Lurch said:

Adjustable hosel settings … do you use them? Effective for serious players or gimmicks for those unwilling/unable (no judgement) to fix their swing?

My hybrid and woods all are adjustable, but I have them all set at standard (per fitting).

In other news, first good round for me today in a long time.  76.  +1 on front nine with no birdies.  Saved par 3 times with my lob wedge from 30-50 yards out (pitched/chipped to inside a foot).  Back nine was good but not great.  1 double bogey on a par 3 (shitty lie in a greenside bunker followed by a 3 putt), and missed 3 birdie putts inside 10 feet.  Still, not complaining.  Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend back in the right direction.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2023 at 11:24 AM, Lurch said:

Adjustable hosel settings … do you use them? Effective for serious players or gimmicks for those unwilling/unable (no judgement) to fix their swing?

I use them for sure. Just have to ensure you understand what your particular club does when you go one click in either direction. For example, on my TM, a click lower launch will open the face where as Titleist and Callaway are the opposite (lower = closed). 

Definitely makes a difference and I'm not scratch. I just wanted to tame my draw slightly so I set my driver to one click lower launch. It's effective.

I am down to a 11.5 handicap and I am so close to my goal of being a single digit handicap I can taste it.  I shot an 87 today but for me I actually played well but blew up on a few holes (2 triples and 2 doubles).  I had 9 pars which I thought was more than solid.  If I could lose those blow up holes and make a few birdies that I missed (from like 5 feet) I could hit my other goal of shooting in the 70’s.  I am sure next weekend I will throw up a 96 just to fuck with my head since that is what golf is all about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Dallas National is an epic course, one of the best golf experiences of my life. It is incredibly hilly. Feels like you're in Austin, not south Dallas. Great layout, I can see why pros pay to be members out there. For example, Spieth doesn't pay for Trinity Forest, he only goes to TF for lessons and then drives to DNAT to play. Apparently, they kicked Mahan out because he refused to pay. 

I've never been more perplexed on a green. Things that look like a foot of break have 6+ feet. More than once, I was convinced I was downhill and I was definitely uphill. Forecaddie was invaluable but it's hard to commit to something you just don't see. 

Didn't take any pictures on course, but their practice bays are awesome.

PXL_20230626_182609863.thumb.jpg.6d383fbacf8980ae30fa005060779ae4.jpg

PXL_20230626_182626804_MP.thumb.jpg.876711542109f51bc3b7de0471036e4c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1