Buying small grills is stupid, right?

52-80

Considering buying a Kamado Joe Jr.

Currently use Weber Spirit E-310 3 burner gasser as my main unit. Its just so fast and convenient. Ive had now weber electric, kettle, bullet smoker, performer….this Kamado i like frankly for the novelty of the small size. Its cute. 

Running out of cooking space is an annoyance but honestly its just 2 of us and a baby. We’re not gonna entertain with the damn thing. 

Just looking for someone to tell me its a dumb idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I bought a crappy little tabletop grill and some charcoal along with some great steaks at HEB before a date to cook dinner at a new girlfriend's place.

It was a fantastic investment.

I bought something similar one time as kind of a one-use throw away deal and one of the legs melted mid-cook first time out.  If they had both melted it might’ve been salvageable, but the tilt when it collapsed got ash all over the meat and there were women present, so the guys drew straws to determine who had to drive 20 minutes to the nearest town and get burgers.  Glad to hear it worked out for you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Considering buying a Kamado Joe Jr.

Currently use Weber Spirit E-310 3 burner gasser as my main unit. Its just so fast and convenient. Ive had now weber electric, kettle, bullet smoker, performer….this Kamado i like frankly for the novelty of the small size. Its cute. 

Running out of cooking space is an annoyance but honestly its just 2 of us and a baby. We’re not gonna entertain with the damn thing. 

Just looking for someone to tell me its a dumb idea. 

Not stupid. Cooking with lump is never stupid. That thing will hold temp for a long time. Can easily do a butt or a yardbird or even a rack of ribs cut in half. Would be great for burgers,  steaks, tri tip, pizza. Shit... other than a full packer it can easily handle the load for two (kind of like South Austin's mom)   

Do it and report back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

The Jr excels at getting hot fast, and at using very little fuel. It will do anything the bigger ones do, as long as the food fits. I've done low and slow beef ribs many times. It is the hidden hero in the lineup. Cooking for two it's perfect - I use it probably 75% of the time.

I pair a Big Joe with a Jr, and have gifted that combo to others - IMO it is the perfect combination. For large reverse sear cooks, the BJ give you big space to run your low and slow, and then use the Jr blazing hot to sear.

566957012_BJJR.thumb.jpg.3b64339108f505c8bbf81c80eef44be7.jpg  1597836581_bigandJr.thumb.jpg.8245fb77c6ee76ae86281ec622b9963c.jpg

195336339_beefribs.thumb.jpg.8b049bdfacdf3b3838aca2c56976faee.jpg

1248829836_JRwings.thumb.jpg.9dc4dd678919bbd9b519cb568d32f14f.jpg

One other small grill that I'd recommend you also compare is the PK GO. For pure grilling (steaks, burgers) it may be the better choice, easier to transport, more cooking space. But if you want the kamado flexibility for smoking/low and slow, as well as the higher temp searing, then it's hard to beat Jr.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

1597836581_bigandJr.thumb.jpg.8245fb77c6ee76ae86281ec622b9963c.jpg

One other small grill that I'd recommend you also compare is the PK GO. For pure grilling (steaks, burgers) it may be the better choice, easier to transport, more cooking space. But if you want the kamado flexibility for smoking/low and slow, as well as the higher temp searing, then it's hard to beat Jr.

Is that the miniature egg?

I like how the KJjr is marketed as a portable grill, but weighs north of 70 pounds. 

Will probably use it for small smoke jobs since now with a gasser instead of charcoal kettle i cant even do a faux-smoke. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RPM said:

I have a little 2 burner gas grill for quick dinner stuff. It's incredibly handy and doesn't take all the hassle of charcoal. I call it The Mini Hank.

81ps3XEVeEL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Mine doesn't have the side burner, just 2 prep tables. But I bought it for under $50 at a Bowie Walmart closeout in the garden section 3 years ago. It was already assembled and ready to get gas. Lil' Hank is great for burgers, sausage, chops and steaks as long as you're only feeding 2 - 4 people. Most of the time I'm cooking that many or less and it gets the job done well.

My 2cents. Either breakdown and she'll out a good chunk of coin for an all stainless steel weber gas grill that will last nearly forever with minimal care or spend less $100 and replace that suckered every few years.  Don't go middle of the road because you will still need to replace it every few years. 

• 2 weeks later...

[Edit: I just found the Pellet Grills and Smokers thread. Feel free to respond to this post, or tell me to shove it up my ass, NTTAWWT.]

I’m getting my son (he also posts here, but not usually in this forum) a travel pellet smoker. He wants it to be truly portable.

I bought him a a 2-burner Weber Spirit grill 7-1/2 years ago, and other than the starter on one side giving out, it’s still holding in there.

He wants something similar in size to this Pit Boss 260:

https://pitboss-grills.com/grills/wood-pellet/pit-boss-portable-wood-pellet-grill

12-BA006-B-01-F0-46-E3-8413-7-A8-AB8-E80

I’m not opposed to spending more, as I’m becoming more and more of a “buy once, cry once” guy in recent years. If any of you asshole geniuses have recommendations, I’d appreciate it. Just remember that he posts here, so your reputation is at risk  

This one weighs 80#, which is not and issue as he comes from fine stock. We’d consider something heavier as long as it can fit in the back of something like an Explorer without hogging too much space.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

[Edit: I just found the Pellet Grills and Smokers thread. Feel free to respond to this post, or tell me to shove it up my ass, NTTAWWT.]

I’m getting my son (he also posts here, but not usually in this forum) a travel pellet smoker. He wants it to be truly portable.
I bought him a a 2-burner Weber Spirit grill 7-1/2 years ago, and other than the starter on one side giving out, it’s still holding in there.
He wants something similar in size to this Pit Boss 260:
https://pitboss-grills.com/grills/wood-pellet/pit-boss-portable-wood-pellet-grill
12-BA006-B-01-F0-46-E3-8413-7-A8-AB8-E806-F4.jpg
I’m not opposed to spending more, as I’m becoming more and more of a “buy once, cry once” guy in recent years. If any of you asshole geniuses have recommendations, I’d appreciate it. Just remember that he posts here, so your reputation is at risk  
This one weighs 80#, which is not and issue as he comes from fine stock. We’d consider something heavier as long as it can fit in the back of something like an Explorer without hogging too much space.

I’d suggest looking at this one.

https://halo-pg.com/pellet-grills/?utm_term=halo%20grill&utm_campaign=NPA+%7C+Search+%7C+Brand&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=5171261027&hsa_cam=17966717507&hsa_grp=143057847280&hsa_ad=618379109998&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-330906962364&hsa_kw=halo%20grill&hsa_mt=e&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg7vyz-_s_AIVmBetBh2FeQD3EAAYASABEgKvhPD_BwE
  • Like 1