commerce aggy @ Texas LHN

CheesePie

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We have let Rice, TAMU Commerce, and Louisiana score in the 70s in regulation since Beard was suspended.  Those are the level of teams that would have scored in the 50s (or maybe even less for Rice and TAMU Commerce) against us with the way we played defense last year and the first part of this year with Beard as head coach.

The last two games have had fun highlights, but the overall results leave me feeling Debbie Downer about future trajectory with Terry vs. with Beard.

This. 

And for those who are in the “jUsT hIRe TeRrY!” camp.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Loop 1604 said:

Rodney Terry seems like he sucks at coaching defense. This is how you lose in the first round to a hot shooting “can’t miss a 3” 15 seed.

I always feel so much better after reading one of your posts. So full of expert insight. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Loop 1604 said:

Rodney Terry seems like he sucks at coaching defense. This is how you lose in the first round to a hot shooting “can’t miss a 3” 15 seed.

Wait until you find out which assistant coach helped run the defense for Beard….

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah and it’s hard to complain much after tonight but the defense seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

I love it. I was a huge fan of the Penders style of play.

But, you know, it is unlikely to get us deep into the tournament as fun as it is.

I will certainly have a good time watching it though.

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

This. 

And for those who are in the “jUsT hIRe TeRrY!” camp.

I'm not in the "just hire Terry camp" but I do wonder what the tempo of play looks like so far post-Beard. People are talking about defensive issues but Texas is also scoring a lot since Beard was suspended. 

Playing faster = more possessions= more points. I thought part of the criticism of Beard was playing too slow and limiting yourself in the half court? 

I know it's just Louisiana and A&M Commerce but I can't remember a Texas team that scored like this. Is is sustainable against better competition? 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm not in the "just hire Terry camp" but I do wonder what the tempo of play looks like so far post-Beard. People are talking about defensive issues but Texas is also scoring a lot since Beard was suspended. 

Playing faster = more possessions= more points. I thought part of the criticism of Beard was playing too slow and limiting yourself in the half court? 

I know it's just Louisiana and A&M Commerce but I can't remember a Texas team that scored like this. Is is sustainable against better competition? 

Our pace earlier this season was pretty fast and light speed compared to last year. Not sure how much it’s changed post-Beard but I’m guessing not much. 

4 minutes ago, MrX said:

Our pace earlier this season was pretty fast and light speed compared to last year. Not sure how much it’s changed post-Beard but I’m guessing not much. 

The pace was definitely faster this year even under Beard. 

I dunno? With these guards and Mitchell's athleticism I'm not totally against the idea of running and gunning. I need to see it against better competition. 

8 hours ago, MaxHorn said:

Yeah, a little googling confirms that Al Coleman hit 10 3’s (in 14 attempts) vs. KState in January of 1997. Obscure for sure but my brain remembered it somehow. Great job,LHN.

I still don't know who holds (or held) those records for points in a half. 

Sure as shit know that Blanks once scored 37 though. Not a record. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I still don't know who holds (or held) those records for points in a half. 

Sure as shit know that Blanks once scored 37 though. Not a record. 

In 18 first-half minutes, Carr posted 33 points while hitting 11-of-15 field goals, including 8-of-11 three-pointers, and 3-of-4 free throws. Carr tied the school record for most points scored in a half (Jim Krivacs had 33 in the second half vs. Northern Montana on Nov. 27, 1978) and set the school record for most points scored in a first half (topping the 29 by B.J. Tyler in the first half at Baylor on Jan. 19, 1994). Carr also set the school record for most three-pointers made in a half with eight, bettering the old mark of six which was done seven times previously.

• Hook 'Em 1

I understand that stuff not being readily available to Blanks and Dumbass, but do they not have people in their ear that could find that in about 30 seconds? They started talking about those first half records with about probably five minutes to go in the first half, and kept talking about it throughout the rest of the game. We never heard whose records were being broken.

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We have let Rice, TAMU Commerce, and Louisiana score in the 70s in regulation since Beard was suspended.  Those are the level of teams that would have scored in the 50s (or maybe even less for Rice and TAMU Commerce) against us with the way we played defense last year and the first part of this year with Beard as head coach.

The last two games have had fun highlights, but the overall results leave me feeling Debbie Downer about future trajectory with Terry vs. with Beard.

I understand the D hasn't been as good (although it was solid against tree away from home) but Texas has put up 100 (for the first time in like 5 or 6 seasons iirc) and 97 in back-to-back games. We've been about 90% as good under Terry which still makes for a good basketball team. That's not including the Rice game which is a silly data point for anyone to use imo. 

Side note - when was the last 40 point game from a Horn? Has to have been awhile. 

Looks like 25 years since anyone had 41*. I know KD never had 40. Did J'Covan or Abrams or Augustin ever hit 40 (looks like none of them did - including Hamilton)? 

Screenshot_20221228_090557_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6e5a23b82f5f8ef48a3713c8742d8605.jpg

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I understand that stuff not being readily available to Blanks and Dumbass, but do they not have people in their ear that could find that in about 30 seconds? They started talking about those first half records with about probably five minutes to go in the first half, and kept talking about it throughout the rest of the game. We never heard whose records were being broken.

my pops would never have let this shit happen, smh. he'd have the records in to the crew plus some nachos and a mint chocolate chip ice cream, none of which he would share with me. ok on second thought fuck my pops. 

in all seriousness though my dad absolutely had that kind of info on hand and in the broadcast in no time. that was really puzzling from the LHN last night.

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is good offense. I think this is the key to the season. When Carr gets dribble happy is when things go south but when he sticks to being more of a catch and shoot player he's really good. 

yeah the assist % started off as a weakness this year, then had been getting better, but has really taken off and been a huge strength in recent games. very noticeable, and something to be super pleased with. this entire team hoops, and they're all willing passers. i really love this group, and i'm going to enjoy every second we have them together here. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah the assist % started off as a weakness this year, then had been getting better, but has really taken off and been a huge strength in recent games. very noticeable, and something to be super pleased with. this entire team hoops, and they're all willing passers. i really love this group, and i'm going to enjoy every second we have them together here. 

Season high in assists the last 3 games for Hunter. 

I think they've pretty much told Carr to stop dribbling and let Hunter be the primary on ball player. If Carr can continue to shoot 45% from 3 just stand there and hit shots while Hunter creates for others. 

Hooray for East Texas State(my undergrad alma mater). Texas blew us the fuck out, but our guys did a decent job for this being their first season in D1 basketball. Also, thanks Texas for scheduling us and giving us some national television exposure. The only tv time we got when I was in school was the LSC tournament webcast.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Side note - when was the last 40 point game from a Horn? Has to have been awhile. 

Looks like 25 years since anyone had 41*. I know KD never had 40. Did J'Covan or Abrams or Augustin ever hit 40 (looks like none of them did - including Hamilton)? 

J'Covan had a 35 point game. Abrams had two 31 point games.  Augustin had a 31 point game. Hamilton only had a 28 point game. 

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

in all seriousness though my dad absolutely had that kind of info on hand and in the broadcast in no time. that was really puzzling from the LHN last night.

They seemed to be fucking up all over the place, which is obviously par for the course. In the first half Lowell was citing 21 points as the season high for a Longhorn and I'm like... Carr had 27 or 28 2-3 games ago. I think Tyrese cracked 21 earlier this year, too. 

Just incessant dipshittery. 

(Yeah - Tyrese had 26 against Gonzaga. Also Arterio had 25 literally last game.)

Lol here it is. 0:45 in this video. https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35331430

What fucking team has this guy been watching? 

Edited by ztejas
  • Rage+1 1

"Lance.... what do you think, for this Texas basketball team.... for them to achieve their goals... what do you think, is the ceiling they must reach... in order to become the team they want to be... to compete for, and maybe to win, the Big 12 conference.... Lance, in order for that to happen.... what does this Texas basketball team need to do... in order to be that team, that team that they want to be?"

(four possessions have happened since the start of the sentence)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They seemed to be fucking up all over the place, which is obviously par for the course. In the first half Lowell was citing 21 points as the season high for a Longhorn and I'm like... Carr had 27 or 28 2-3 games ago. I think Tyrese cracked 21 earlier this year too. 

Just incessant dipshittery. 

This network needs to die. 

Just listening to Galindo constantly jizz himself over a close game with 33 minutes left in the game is getting annoying.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This network needs to die. 

Just listening to Galindo constantly jizz himself over a close game with 33 minutes left in the game is getting annoying.  

"Aggy Commerce came to play! This is a game folks!" (9-6 Texas with four minutes gone in the game)

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1