Pele - RIP

RamjetFDO

I have "one degree of separation" from Pele...  back in 2015, I was at an Aston Villa match in the "posh" VIP section (thanks to my friends).  They have former players come by and chat up the people there pre-match and post-match.  I got my photo taken with Charlie Aitken, Villa superstar for almost 17 years before he joined Pele with the New York Cosmos in 1976-77.

Charlie was a very affable guy, but he was most proud of the fact that he was the assist for Pele's final professional goal.

605807802_RogerandCharlieAitkenprematch1.thumb.jpg.d42e4af3376b83b16f79358b8187527b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Still the biggest name in the game. In my playing days Pele, Beckenbauer and Cryuff were the big three. I had posters of them in my room, along with Farrah Fawcett, and actually got to see the Cosmos, and Pele was the guy that got that started.  Seems weird that two of my biggest childhood heroes are gone. Rest in peace, Pele. 

• Hook 'Em 3

i think you could argue that the most influential person on earth just died. maybe today he isn't as influential as ronaldo, messi, or lebron, but i can't think of anyone who has inspired more people on earth over the last 65 years than Pelé. he's beyond a legend; he's an icon. rest in peace to one of the most important people who ever lived.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Such as legend. I started playing soccer in 1969. The first time I saw him play "live" was in the 1970 World Cup final.  Lived in Dallas and the only place you could see the final was pay-per-view at The Bronco Bowl. There was no soccer on TV. In 1975, he joined the NY Cosmos in the NASL and changed soccer in the US. IIRC, his first game for the Cosmos was against my beloved Dallas Tornadoes and it was carried nationally by ABC. His games became an event.

RIP, Edson Arantes do Nascimento.

Edited by TxEx84
  • Hook 'Em 1

i think you could argue that the most influential person on earth just died. maybe today he isn't as influential as ronaldo, messi, or lebron, but i can't think of anyone who has inspired more people on earth over the last 65 years than Pelé. he's beyond a legend; he's an icon. rest in peace to one of the most important people who ever lived.

100% agreed.

I hate when people try to explain soccer with US sports comparisons, but here’s how I think about it. The football world was this European precision game that reminds me of the classic Princeton basketball reference. Then Pelé shows up and introduces the Beautiful Game and shit has been different since. And he did it mostly thru the World Cup. Ain’t like there were a ton of Santos games on tv in London, Munich, or Madrid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Agee, as well.  The only other person I can think of that is close is Muhammad Ali.

• Hook 'Em 4

46 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

Still the biggest name in the game. In my playing days Pele, Beckenbauer and Cryuff were the big three. I had posters of them in my room, along with Farrah Fawcett, and actually got to see the Cosmos, and Pele was the guy that got that started.  Seems weird that two of my biggest childhood heroes are gone. Rest in peace, Pele. 

Saw him play in DC for the Cosmos. Was unreal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The US would be 30 years behind being 20+ years behind the soccer curve had Pele not played for the Cosmos.  

My dad, who enjoys soccer (especially since my sister and I were really good at it) but still doesn't get a lot of the nuances of the game, speaks of Pele with the same wavering/emotional voice as he does Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Oscar Robertson, and KAJ.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Maybe because I just read a two-part profile on Einstein (from The New Yorker; 2014) and his popularity and what it meant to the world (it's a study in sociology how he become kitchen-table famous for things that housewives can't comprehended) that I find this statement above to be an extreme emotional overreach and hyperbolic. 

Edited by HamsterHookah

2 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Maybe because I just read a two-part profile on Einstein (from The New Yorker; 2014) and his popularity and what it meant to the world (it's a study in sociology how he become kitchen-table famous for things that housewives can't comprehended) that I find this statement above to be an extreme emotional overreach and hyperbolic. 

You sound fucking fun.  Perhaps we should invoke the inspiration of Marx/Engels instead?  Jesus dude.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Damn. Rip

I had a feeling that Twitter cropped the preview and was hiding the goods, because otherwise the use of this photo didn’t make any sense. (I’m usually right.)

15924B95-3555-47BC-B18F-A28D7CE1DAF1.thumb.jpeg.946cd7e9caa2816454741eaffc3666fa.jpeg

Would love to honor Pelé by tapping that.

3 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

Was it the Farrah red bathing suit poster with the turbo nipples?

Pelé was the guy who came along and wowed Euros so much that they dropped Alfredo Di Stéfano down a notch.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I mean its probably Jesus, Ali, Pele. Einstein is probably 4 just ahead of DaVinci but I could flip those 2.

Nelson Mandela, MLK Jr, & Ghandi would like in on some of this action. 

SIDE NOTE: Just read that Pelé came out of retirement at the old age of 34 to play for the Cosmos. 👀 

It’s crazy how much longer players can play today. 

Pelé’s impact after retirement was much bigger than while he was playing. 

I bounced into the PELÉ store Thursday afternoon (12/15?) in Manhattan before flying down to Buenos Aires that night to see the final. The store was fairly busy and it had a mini theater are setup to watch highlights on a big screen… like cinema screen.

Photos from inside the Pelé store.

E9CB765A-04A0-4A21-8FB0-216EC8372869.thumb.jpeg.b83727ac167e97b9714bd080ec80dc1d.jpeg

D34173A8-DDC2-40EF-914D-2A091D321831.thumb.jpeg.cb8e1d7f6929ed393620c4808ab1c5e7.jpeg

C80A4BD3-E3C6-4AFF-A126-843ED92C6087.thumb.jpeg.339ebd94dc54fbc1aad4651c50a8bb68.jpeg

E009C3F2-FBAF-4B27-8113-08BFDC74000D.thumb.jpeg.1fbba206a64065246602e88b29c3a892.jpeg

And a film offering on my flight down to Buenos Aires.

335E0C0F-B3E3-4DF9-8E18-10D9B2EB5EBC.thumb.jpeg.6bd19ec951c96812f53525f240fd602c.jpeg

And no, that Flagship Business menu in the shot is not by accident. 😎

I booked that flight for 60K AA miles and the same flight was 360K AA miles about 15 hours later.  

These two can now show off together again. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Did the article talk about the thoughts on the space time continuum and how that might have enabled him tot o,e travel to be alive in the 65 year time frame you bolded in the post you quoted?

He was the first footballer name I ever knew or said aloud.  By all accounts a great human being to boot.  Pele is really in the same breath as Ali or Ruth or Jordan...transcends time and border.  May he rest well.  There is no need for substitution.  The game is a man short.  Forever.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, Napoleon said:

I had a feeling that Twitter cropped the preview and was hiding the goods, because otherwise the use of this photo didn’t make any sense. (I’m usually right.)

15924B95-3555-47BC-B18F-A28D7CE1DAF1.thumb.jpeg.946cd7e9caa2816454741eaffc3666fa.jpeg

Would love to honor Pelé by tapping that.

Was it the Farrah red bathing suit poster with the turbo nipples?

Pelé was the guy who came along and wowed Euros so much that they dropped Alfredo Di Stéfano down a notch.

Nelson Mandela, MLK Jr, & Ghandi would like in on some of this action. 

SIDE NOTE: Just read that Pelé came out of retirement at the old age of 34 to play for the Cosmos. 👀 

It’s crazy how much longer players can play today. 

Pelé’s impact after retirement was much bigger than while he was playing. 

I bounced into the PELÉ store Thursday afternoon (12/15?) in Manhattan before flying down to Buenos Aires that night to see the final. The store was fairly busy and it had a mini theater are setup to watch highlights on a big screen… like cinema screen.

Photos from inside the Pelé store.

E9CB765A-04A0-4A21-8FB0-216EC8372869.thumb.jpeg.b83727ac167e97b9714bd080ec80dc1d.jpeg

D34173A8-DDC2-40EF-914D-2A091D321831.thumb.jpeg.cb8e1d7f6929ed393620c4808ab1c5e7.jpeg

C80A4BD3-E3C6-4AFF-A126-843ED92C6087.thumb.jpeg.339ebd94dc54fbc1aad4651c50a8bb68.jpeg

E009C3F2-FBAF-4B27-8113-08BFDC74000D.thumb.jpeg.1fbba206a64065246602e88b29c3a892.jpeg

And a film offering on my flight down to Buenos Aires.

335E0C0F-B3E3-4DF9-8E18-10D9B2EB5EBC.thumb.jpeg.6bd19ec951c96812f53525f240fd602c.jpeg

And no, that Flagship Business menu in the shot is not by accident. 😎

I booked that flight for 60K AA miles and the same flight was 360K AA miles about 15 hours later.  

These two can now show off together again. 

Forgot there was a Pele store in downtown Disney in Anaheim too.

• Hook 'Em 1