Salsa recipe

Rockethorn1978

If one is posted please show me The way.

if not I need someone to give me a good salsa recipe for my new years chips and salsa rampage. 

I just did a 5 Roma tomato, 3 Serrano and 1 jalapeño boiled then into a blender with cilantro, salt and 3 cloves of garlic I boiled with the tomatoes and peppers. Came out ok. But thought I’d see what the resident experts cooks had for me to try. Thanks!

if not I need someone to give me a good salsa recipe for my new years chips and salsa rampage. 

I just did a 5 Roma tomato, 3 Serrano and 1 jalapeño boiled then into a blender with cilantro, salt and 3 cloves of garlic I boiled with the tomatoes and peppers. Came out ok. But thought I’d see what the resident experts cooks had for me to try. Thanks!

Don’t boil anything and try again.

Also add some cumin.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I don't boil or roast. Tomato (cans unless they're in season locally), jalapeno, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, white pepper, cayenne, and salt.

I don't use a recipe, I just throw the shit in and reserve enough of each ingredient to tinkier until it tastes like I want it.

I make a quick one. Roast I big thing of garlic, boil as many toms as you want, helps peal the skin or leave the skin on. In a frying pan, with olive oil, roast up as many serranos as you would like and a handful piquín peppers. Blend, add the olive oil you cooked your peppers in. Pinch or two of salt to taste 

Roast under a broiler 6 serranos, 6 roma tomatoes, 2 cloves of garlic in the skin. Peel most of the skin off the peppers and tomatoes. Peel and mince the garlic. Put all in a food processor until your desired consistency. Salt to taste. Add a squeeze of lime if you want. If you want to add onion, roast a quarter of an onion. You don’t need much.

I usually only make homemade in the summer, but here’s what I usually do…

-8 Romas or “Tomatoes on the vine” 

-1 can a Reed Gold diced

-1 medium white onion

-6-8 cloves garlic 

-1.5 limes juiced

-about 1 oz vinegar

-1 tbsp chili pieder

-3-4 each jalapeño and Serrano 

-1-1.5 bunches cilantro

-1 tsp black pepper

-1/2 tsp salt

-1/2-1 tsp sugar 

I boil the tomatoes to de-skin, then blend the tomatoes with the other ingredients    Works perfect every time 

Couple pounds of red fresnos. Remove stems, slice in half and place in clean jar. Cover with 4-5% brine (water + pepper mass *.04 or .05). Leave lid slightly loose to let gas escape or use airlock if you have one. Let rot a few days in a cool, dark part of the kitchen (place a dish underneath to catch any brine that leaks out). When the ferment is no longer super active, strain solids reserving brine. Put solids in blender and blitz, loosening with brine. Add lime juice and garlic to taste.  You could also add carrots, garlic, and other peppers into the brine at the start. 

Edited by elfenix

34 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Couple pounds of red fresnos. Remove stems, slice in half and place in clean jar. Cover with 4-5% brine (water + pepper mass *.04 or .05). Leave lid slightly loose to let gas escape or use airlock if you have one. Let rot a few days in a cool, dark part of the kitchen (place a dish underneath to catch any brine that leaks out). When the ferment is no longer super active, strain solids reserving brine. Put solids in blender and blitz, loosening with brine. Add lime juice and garlic to taste.  You could also add carrots, garlic, and other peppers into the brine at the start. 

That’s some old school shit.    I like it 

On 12/30/2022 at 3:26 PM, CooterBrown said:

Roast under a broiler 6 serranos, 6 roma tomatoes, 2 cloves of garlic in the skin. Peel most of the skin off the peppers and tomatoes. Peel and mince the garlic. Put all in a food processor until your desired consistency. Salt to taste. Add a squeeze of lime if you want. If you want to add onion, roast a quarter of an onion. You don’t need much.

Basically this, but I just put foil in a cast iron and char the skin of everything here and there. I can be more hands on with this method. 

well I'll be the blasphemer here lol...i don't cook/roast anything for mine 😋

it's modeled after your typical hot, raw restaurant salsa, like EyM...

1 can diced tomatoes 

~half a large onion

3 garlic cloves

2-3 jalapenos (depending on heat level)

i love cilantro... so a big handful of it

juice from a whole lime

salt and pepper

everything in the food processor at once, chopped until right consistency. quick and easy!

• Hook 'Em 1

I have yet to find a canned or boxed tomato product I like right out of the container.  Cooked?  Fine.  And I like cooked (soft fried) salsas, so I use Cento or POMI tomatoes for salsa often, but to me they just don't work as a substitute for fresh tomatoes in a raw salsa.

Plus, in Texas most Roma tomatoes are pretty solid year 'round.

Salsa Macha

Not at all what you're looking for, but I ran across this over the holidays and made a "half  batch".

It's more like a Chinese chili crisp with olive oil and chipotle instead of peanut oil and Szechuan peppercorns, (though to be honest I did add a few grinds of the Szechuans to the mix).  I've had it on breakfast tacos, chicken tacos, roast beef sandwich, etc. 

It's different for sure, but I like it. 

Edited to add: It's a Pati Jinich recipe. 

Edited by DoobieWah

About a decade ago I decided to start making salsa. Thanks to a pretty narrow focus on things I enjoy I came up with about 20 different recipes and then variations off of them based on the level of spice. A friend I have had since childhood, who has wound up being a really successful businessman, attempted to encourage me to sell them, but I decided it is something I enjoy doing and never have wanted to start a business. I do still make salsa regularly, but all the recipes are still just made from memory because I have never written any of them down. I’ll perhaps see if @PenelopeWitherspoon ever wants to try them and she can let y’all know how it turns out based on whatever kind she may want.

Been making two kinds of salsas lately- no cooking or boiling.  Though, I love to char the tomatoes/ peppers if I have time.

First is 6 or 8 roma tomatoes- get the ripest you can find.  Don't have to be pretty, riper/ more beat up, usually are better.  2 or 3 seeded, diced jalapenos.  Salt.  Blend in a food processor.  This is a really fresh salsa that would be similar to Spanish Flowers in the Heights, or the basic Taco Cabana red salsa.  You can always add garlic, onion and cilantro and/ or char everything if you want to trick things up.

Second is really, really simple- couple of cans of tomato sauce (I like the cheap Fiesta brand), and either a small can of pickled jalapenos, or half a jar.  Include the juice, and add a little bit of salt.  All to taste.  This is vinegary, and similar to what you would get in Dallas at Ojeda's, or, the Roja salsa at Taco Joint.

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

About a decade ago I decided to start making salsa. Thanks to a pretty narrow focus on things I enjoy I came up with about 20 different recipes and then variations off of them based on the level of spice. A friend I have had since childhood, who has wound up being a really successful businessman, attempted to encourage me to sell them, but I decided it is something I enjoy doing and never have wanted to start a business. I do still make salsa regularly, but all the recipes are still just made from memory because I have never written any of them down. I’ll perhaps see if @PenelopeWitherspoon ever wants to try them and she can let y’all know how it turns out based on whatever kind she may want.

Yes, I will be your guinea pig.  

• Like 1

Boiled? Canned? Dear God the white people have officially ruined everything.

8-10 golf ball or bigger sized tomatillos
Half an onion, sliced into 1/4” slices
6-8 cloves peeled garlic
4-5 jalapeños
3-4 serranos

Roast on grill or in oven until browned/slightly blackened.

Combine the above ingredients with one head cilantro, juice of 1.5-2 limes and place in blender until you’ve reached desired consistency. Salt to taste; usually 3-4 tbsp will do. Small pinch or two of comino molido.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/30/2022 at 2:32 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

You might as well ask for pics of my lady naked.  This shit is personal and serious bidness. HEB bout to pick up my salsa line when they open. 

Edited by RollLeft

9 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

6-8 cloves peeled garlic
4-5 jalapeños
3-4 serranos

Combine the above ingredients with one head cilantro, juice of 1.5-2 limes and place in blender until you’ve reached desired consistency. Salt to taste; usually 3-4 tbsp will do. Small pinch or two of comino molido.

I did the boiled tomatoes and jalapeños from this guy called texmexarnie on YouTube. He’s from San Juan and has a Mexican restaurant and he’s Mexican. And I have a friend who’s Mexican that also boils his tomatillos and Serrano peppers before pulsing his green salsa. 

I’ve seen others say don’t boil but now I’m confused?

12 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

New York City?

Get a rope!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I did the boiled tomatoes and jalapeños from this guy called texmexarnie on YouTube. He’s from San Juan and has a Mexican restaurant and he’s Mexican. And I have a friend who’s Mexican that also boils his tomatillos and Serrano peppers before pulsing his green salsa. 

I’ve seen others say don’t boil but now I’m confused?

yes

6-8 cloves peeled garlic
4-5 jalapeños
3-4 serranos

There is not an official single dogmatic recipe for salsa from the Mexican government. I’ve yet to see a Mexican make salsa exactly like every other Mexican. Isnt carrying around dogmatic food opinions just another load of bullshit that you can be freed of? Just let everyone share in peace.

Popping tomatoes in boiling water to blanch them is the best way to remove peels. Canned tomatoes are fine as it wasn’t that long ago we only had decent fresh tomatoes in the summer.

And fresh tomatillos that aren’t cooked are hard to digest for many folks. They are best peeled and steamed.

On 1/5/2023 at 2:59 AM, DoobieWah said:

New York City?

Get a rope!!

Haha yeah there is not much in the way of salsa in NYC. I grew up in Texas and every trip back I will buy a jar or two of HEB’s salsa because it has such a good taste for store bought salsa. My neighborhood in East Harlem has a few Mexican restaurants. I never have tried them though because I prefer making my own salsa. I went to a Mexican food truck here once in Astoria and asked for chips and salsa. I got chips and Pace picante. It was embarrassing to see that used, especially by a truck with a big Mexican flag on it.

• Like 1

My go-to Roasted salsa:

6-8 Roma tomatoes

1/2 of sweet onion 

2-4 garlic cloves

2 jalapenos, stems removed

Put all the above on a cookie sheet and throw under the broiler until blackened.  Rotate once or twice to make sure they’re evenly blackened.

Peel the blacken skin from tomatoes and then add everything into blender with some olive oil, salt, and pinch of Mexican oregano and pinch cumin.  Blend until smooth and serve.

On 1/2/2023 at 12:38 PM, mchookem said:

well I'll be the blasphemer here lol...i don't cook/roast anything for mine 😋

it's modeled after your typical hot, raw restaurant salsa, like EyM...

1 can diced tomatoes 

~half a large onion

3 garlic cloves

2-3 jalapenos (depending on heat level)

i love cilantro... so a big handful of it

juice from a whole lime

salt and pepper

everything in the food processor at once, chopped until right consistency. quick and easy!

This is what I do except I used peeled whole tomatoes (canned) and sometimes throw in a serrano

easy and delicious

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Not a recipe, but I heard guacamole salsa mentioned a few times and assumed it was just guacamole. Then I found this and bought a jar. My world has forever changed.

Herdez Guacamole Medium Jar - 15.7 Oz

Eraserhead mind blown | David Lynch | Know Your Meme

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Someone earlier indicated EyM didn’t have roasted stuff in their salsa. I don’t recall that. Can anyone confirm because I like their salsa and I remember seeing roast flakes in it. 

If it is the same as what Gonzalo’s in Longview used to make (the owners are brothers) then they don’t roast anything, but I’ve never actually been to EyM. Gonzalos hot sauce was damn good though so it wouldn’t surprise me if they had a similar/same recipe.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:22 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I've followed this site for a while, their recipes tend to be pretty legit.  This post contains links to a bunch of really good salsas (well, the ones I've tried are legit):

Mexican Please

the recipe there for avocado salsa verde is good and better than the jarred stuff.

if you're in south austin and it still exists, the green salsa at tortilleria rio grande is the shit.

There are several that I make.  Some fresh and some cooked.  But, this is my favorite easy one.  And, yes, it's roasted and it's fabulous.   

I take a several tomatoes cut in half, rough chop an onion or two (there should be more tomato than onion), a couple of serranos, and a couple cloves of garlic.  Toss in a sheet pan with a bit of oil and lots of salt.  Make sure the cut sides of the tomatoes are facing up.  Roast on high heat until everything has a good char but there are still juices.  Put in food processor and start to blend.  Add cilantro and some lime juice.  Taste for salt.  Perfect.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 11:29 AM, VABuckeye said:

Pioneer Woman has a pretty solid salsa recipe on her site.

i have a two year old a wife who can't tolerate much heat at all. I tried this (but thoroughly deseeding the jalapenos) and it was actually pretty good. Bland at first, but it was pretty tasty in a day or two. I had one regular mild can of rotel and one fire roasted can, pretty good mix. Honestly I feel like if I made this with serranos, it might be fairly close to the chili parlor salsa, which is a favorite.

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11059/restaurant-style-salsa/

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a fundamental problem with salsas that used canned tomatoes but aren't cooked.  Maybe some of the freshpack products like Pomi could work, or Cento canned that avoids preservatives.  Other than that, I feel like canned tomatoes need to be cooked.