2023 Official Texas Rangers Offseason Thread

CowtownHorn

• CowtownHorn changed the title to 2023 Official Texas Rangers Offseason Thread
On 1/1/2023 at 12:13 PM, DougO said:

I'd still like to see them pick up a legit first baseman in case Lowe's 2022 turns out to be a fluke. 

Lowe's 2022 may be lukewarm flukish, but he was scouted as one with this capability.   Really, it's a good improvement on someone who was already looking to be a good MLB player (2020 was the real outlier for him, as he was a .264 hitter basically in '19 and '21).  He showed improved ability to go with a pitch this past season and was more selective in his swings.  He struck out at a higher rate in '22, walked less, but still posted a better OPS as he was more disciplined in his approach.   I don't think '22 was a fluke, I think it's close to what he'll be...

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Lowe's 2022 may be lukewarm flukish, but he was scouted as one with this capability.   Really, it's a good improvement on someone who was already looking to be a good MLB player (2020 was the real outlier for him, as he was a .264 hitter basically in '19 and '21).  He showed improved ability to go with a pitch this past season and was more selective in his swings.  He struck out at a higher rate in '22, walked less, but still posted a better OPS as he was more disciplined in his approach.   I don't think '22 was a fluke, I think it's close to what he'll be...

He might be that hitting wise, but his defense is still suspect. He's going to be 28 in July, so should be in his prime years, but seems a bit late developing. If last year was a career year for him and he reverts back to his previous year averages we need better. 

^ Does the $20/month not currently work for Mavs? 

All the coaches. 
Fl0AtU2XEA43p4R?format=jpg&name=900x900
I have NBA league pass for Mavs which works in Austin since we're in spurs territory. MLB doesn't work for rangers bc we're rangers territory and blacked out. Bally's streaming service currently only streams the Mavs and stars, not the rangers (yet).

If LA doesn't keep Bauer how would you guys feel about him? I'd be ok with it.

I have NBA league pass for Mavs which works in Austin since we're in spurs territory. MLB doesn't work for rangers bc we're rangers territory and blacked out. Bally's streaming service currently only streams the Mavs and stars, not the rangers (yet).

If LA doesn't keep Bauer how would you guys feel about him? I'd be ok with it.

We employed Will Clark and Vicente Padilla. Pretty sure we’re due for another flaming asshole clubhouse cancer

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

We employed Will Clark and Vicente Padilla. Pretty sure we’re due for another flaming asshole clubhouse cancer

God I hated Padilla.  Fucker sweated so much it looked like he swam to the park in uniform.  What a giving up piece of shit that guy was.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rangers left fielders ranked dead-last in the Majors last season in batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage, combining to post an almost unfathomably feeble .186/.253/.255 batting line. That translated to a 47 wRC+, or roughly 53% worse than league-average production after weighting for home park and the league run-scoring environment. Rangers left fielders also struck out at a 29.6% clip (28th in MLB), hit 11 home runs (27th), and managed only five doubles (last in the Majors) and no triples.

Fortunately we have yet to address this.