2022 NYE / 2023 NYD Menus and Prons

Anastasis

Time for a NY specific thread.  I see the prime rib thread is humming along right now. I am going pork this year. What you working on?

For NYD: 

Pork roast, bone-in with a dijon buttermilk sauce

Blacked eye pea soup, homesick texan's recipe with sausage and kale

SW style caesar salad

Fried oysters, haven't totally settled on what I am going to do with them, but may take a run at a BLT situation 

Variety of apps and other sides

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Smoking a trip tip to go along with twice broiled Mac and cheese and roasted carrots.  Carrot cake and a nap for dessert.

Saw some prime 1 tri tips at H‑E‑B when I was picking up the oysters and some other things. Almost grabbed one but didn’t. Think that is a decision I will regret. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We're eating pretty damn good today before getting back on the wagon tomorrow. 

Had some leftover chilaquiles from brunch yesterday. Threw them in with some fresh scrambled eggs and tossed on tortillas for breakfast tacos.

Lunch was leftover prime rib (from dinner Friday) with a gorgonzola horseradish sauce on ciabatta. 

Dinner tonight is traditional. Slow cooked black-eyed peas with big chunks of ham and onions. Cabbage fried in bacon grease. Cornbread. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Antipasto and wine first, then bolognese and tagliatelle for dinner with some homemade garlic bread. Smoking a ham and doing the cabbage and black eyed peas thing for dinner tonight.

8BCD8EEF-EC6C-45F1-8E55-B8768D9476F0.jpeg

Double smoked the ham with some honey drizzled over it and some bbq rub. I never ate this growing up but my wife has me make it for her every year… darn it if I didn’t just turn myself into a huge fan

8B2676BF-DBC0-4103-A8CB-79C026DDDA96.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Brats, black eyes peas. Collard greens. Sautéed cabbage. 

For cabbage dish. We winged this recipe and it was really good. 

Cook 1 diced onion in 1 TBSP of butter. Add 2 cloves of garlic.

Chop 2 bell peppers and add to pot. 

Chop 1 cabbage and add. Cook down a little.
Add 2 cups of chicken brother and salt and pepper. Stir.
Cover and let cook for 5-10 minutes. 
Drain broth and toss back in pot to sauté more 
Crush up 3 crispy bacon strips and add to cabbage mix. 
Sauté until desired consistency 

So good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess surly wasn’t on my mind so never took any pics. NY strips and garlic mashed taters. I wouldn’t normally add black eyed peas to that meal but it worked damn well. Skipped the ham hock this year and went bacon, onion, celery, vegetable broth and it was just a nice veggie side dish.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed my first batch of black eyed peas, so I made another.

Pretty simple. Dice peppers, onions and jalapeños. Cook until brown. Add minced garlic. Cook until brown. Add diced ham steak. Stir. Add black eyed peas and the seasoning of your choice. 3 cups of water. Stir.

Simmer on low for 3.5 hours. 

I like to eat mine with jalapeño cornbread. Any cornbread mix will work just make sure the mix doesn’t contain sugar. Dice the jalapeños, mix the batter, pour into a large 6 muffin pan. Bake at 375 until golden brown.

Really simple. I made it drunk as shit on New Year’s Day and it came out great. 

• Hook 'Em 2