A Man Called Otto

UpperWestside

I highly suggest watching this movie. Tom Hanks was brilliant and so was the supporting cast. Mariana Trevino had a wonderful performance in this as well. This movie made me smile several times, tugged at the heart strings more than once and watching it has been a great way to end 2022.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Enjoyed the book, eager to see the movie.

Saw it last night and thought it was very well done. There are some differences from the book in the details, and the movie naturally loses Frederik Backman’s quirky humorous writing style, but it’s true to the story and the cast did a great job.

Mariana Treviño stole the show IMO. I loved every minute she was on screen.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

This movie is being marketed terribly.  The commercials make it look like 90 minutes of Tom Hanks being a crabby asshole.  Doesn't look very appealing, but now I'm rethinking this.  

This. I have absolutely no interest in watching a cantankerous old Tom Hanks grumble about the youths of today. This movie seems like the manifestation of "OK Boomer". 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Think of it like Gran Torino, but more uplifting and minus the violence.

It also made me think of Gran Torino. But as you said, more uplifting and minus the violence. It's hard to know who will go and see this film. It does feel more directed to an older audience. There were 3 other people in the theater when the wife and I saw it, and they were older than us, and we're up there. But I loved the movie and it does make me want to now see the Swedish version. 

My wife's twin sis (no pics) has been raving about this movie for a few days now, telling people that Otto reminds her soooooo much of her dad (he was an asshole) and what she thinks her husband (aggy asshole) will be like in 20 years. 

Somebody's gonna have to post a pretty fucking spectacular review to make me even consider wasting 90 minutes of my life on this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, immamac said:

Going with the wife tonight. 

went with wife this afternoon. We had to be youngest couple in there.  LOL.

Enjoyed the movie.  First 30 minutes was like watching what I imagine I will be like at that age.  I loved his internal struggle of "well fuck these people,"  versus, "Hey dumbass, you know the right thing to do."

Good story.  it will get dusty.

GOTJ- there's a viable love story in there.  Otto would go see Twilight too.

Edited by slorch

On 1/13/2023 at 1:26 PM, Go Pokes said:

This movie is being marketed terribly.  The commercials make it look like 90 minutes of Tom Hanks being a crabby asshole.  Doesn't look very appealing, but now I'm rethinking this.  

On 1/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, irishtexan said:

This. I have absolutely no interest in watching a cantankerous old Tom Hanks grumble about the youths of today. This movie seems like the manifestation of "OK Boomer". 

That's only the hook, or the intro. IT's a lot deeper than that.

10 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

My wife's twin sis (no pics) has been raving about this movie for a few days now, telling people that Otto reminds her soooooo much of her dad (he was an asshole) and what she thinks her husband (aggy asshole) will be like in 20 years. 

Somebody's gonna have to post a pretty fucking spectacular review to make me even consider wasting 90 minutes of my life on this.

It's better than Twilight. Isn't that good enough for you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I went with my mom and uncle for a belated birthday present. I enjoyed it. It was a little long and drug in a few places (hence why sometimes it’s ok to shorten a film unless you want to tell it like a miniseries.) my uncle was crying. Tom Hanks gave a nuanced performance that I enjoyed and I really loved the main female character. I’d see it again. It sounds like it had gotten decent word of mouth. 

Spoiler

My aunt is in an Alzheimer’s home so I think he related a lot to Otto losing his wife and trying to navigate his life without her. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I watched this on a flight a few weeks ago.  It definitely hits the feels and I agree the trailer was terrible.  About the only thing it got right was that Tom Hanks played a character named Otto.  It is a very good movie that I would recommend.  We don't get many movies like it anymore.

• Like 1

I was finger snapping at the cast. 

ooo dude from umbrella academy. Ooo dude from Lincoln lawyer. Chick from cuevros soccer. 

otto wife a baddie. Oooo chick from Tokyo vice 

I have 3 cats.  So I liked it. 

Edited by kingkoopa6

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2023 at 9:58 AM, locodos said:

I'm enough of a grumpy asshole to make the 5' rope but you have to pay for 6' my raison d'etre.

The cashier in that scene was almost the son of a friend of mine here. His son graduated from The Royal Conservatory in Scotland last year and works as a bartender right now in London while beginning his acting career. I have met him before and he’s going to do well. Would’ve been fun to see him in that scene, but he’ll do well. His father still acts as well, but in much smaller stuff. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

Liked it overall, other than the overt political messages they weave in, but I suppose that is in everything these days.

I am frequently annoyed by political preaching in movies.  I enjoyed this movie and really must have missed the overt political message.

I also thought the acting was just superb by all of the main cast.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you think that movie has overt political messaging, then how do you make it through everyday life?

Thats kind of my point, you cant avoid it in everyday life.  One can only hope a movie wouldn't be so obvious as to do that too, when it added nothing to the story.   For example the kid didn't need to be trans, the real estate company didn't need to have an anti- American name.  That's all im saying.  Give it a break for 2 hours and let us enjoy the story sans trying to make  points.  In this case, the story wa good enough.  I guess Im closer in age to the 'get off my lawn' demo than the younger surly members. Sucks getting old haha

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

You should probably ask yourself why a trans character bothered you in the first place. 

Nothing against trans.  The original character is gay, director went trans. Otto is ocd on tradition, rules, conformity etc..  His character never would have not-questioned that.  it was a stupid add to the plot line and not needed. That was my original point, i acknowledged i used the word 'politica'l up-thread out of context.  I actually loathe the word woke, but that's where the director  went with the artistic license. His choice, my opinion.