The Whale

UncleCharlie

I searched the forum and didn't see any topic or mention so......

Excellent movie. One of the most gut wrenching sories I've ever seen told on the big screen.

Didn't think Brendan Fraser had that ability.  Every actor in the movie gave a great performance.

Edited by UncleCharlie

17 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

I searched the forum and didn't see any topic or mention so......

Excellent movie. One of the most gut wrenching sories I've ever seen told on the big screen.

Didn't think Brendan Fraser had that ability.  Every actor in the movie gave a great performance.

Watch The Quiet American.  Fraser is solid.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Good movie, not an enjoyable watch in the slightest. Not one scene, not one minute. 

Reminds of The Joker in that way, but I agree. I think I like The Wrestler and Black Swan better but this movie was dang good. It felt like a play— you can tell it was adapted from a play from the small set and cluster of characters.

I liked some of the stylistic turns; I thought the whale tail sweat stain on the back of the shirt as we got introduced to Charlie was fun and was impressed and moved by the size and weight of Charlie when he’d get up and you’d see his full form. It was great camera angle and you got the same feeling as a whale breaching. And I got Birdman vibes from the ending, which was fun.

The least believable thing after seeing his topless body shape was the opening scene where he could find and reach his anatomy from a seat-back position.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:47 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Brutal and depressing. Fraser definitely deserves the Oscar.

Without a doubt on both points. Last time I was moved by a single actors performance was Heath Ledgers joker.

It made me think a lot about a time in my life where I was at a similar crossroads. Luckily I chose life.

I know despair well and Fraser absolutely fucking nailed it. The end hit me a like a freight train.

I would put this down as a must see for anyone suffering depression or has a loved one suffering from it. 

IMO there's never been a better portrayal of the disease.

• Hook 'Em 1