123 members have voted

1. 1. cfp final

• asteroid
    • comet
    • tcu
    • georgia
    • aggy moral victory

16 hours ago, mdmost said:

Well Georgia is not directly competing for most of our in-state players like TCU does. If you don't want to leave home, TCU looks like a pretty damn good option to develop you into a great football player. So yes, that's a bigger proximate issue than a team like Georgia who has had sustained success for 5 years now and is constantly near the top in recruiting.

TCU doesn't really compete with us.  They mostly get players Texas, OU, aggy and outside powers don't get.

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t. I just think it’s comical we complain of different groups (outside of LSU and OSU) oblivious to the fact that we have regiments of dipshits that've pissed off other fans. 

Well when they didn't know any UT fans were around, the other SWC schools would say it is aggy they really hate.

10 minutes ago, bullet said:

TCU doesn't really compete with us.  They mostly get players Texas, OU, aggy and outside powers don't get.

That has been changing and will continue to trend in that direction. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

That's been evident since the glee at the announcement, particularly at the expense of the teams we're leaving behind.  So fucking aggy

Yeah and as I realized my initial "bleh...why?" reaction did not seem to be shared by the majority of Surly and I'll reiterate my position:

From a business/money perspective, I completely understand it.  From a culture/fan perspective, I don't understand it at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t really think this line is out of bounds.

Michigan gave TCU 17 points (the choice to go for it and the play call on the 4th down on first drive was abysmal, and then of course two pick sixes)

Then depending on how you view the TD that wasn’t and subsequent fumble that was either 7 points stolen or 7 more points given away.

Yea TCU certainly made some strong offensive plays (they also had three weeks to game plan…a luxury they don’t have this time )but not sure I see Georgia giving up 24 points the same way.

So it comes down to can TCU play tough defense that doesn’t involve some horse shoe up the ass luck and can their offense play somewhere on the level tOSU did against Georgia last night.

TCU about to spend a week dealing with attention and pressure on a whole different level than they have ever experienced.

Add it all up and yea on paper UGA by 2 TDs makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Michigan gave TCU 17 points (the choice to go for it and the play call on the 4th down on first drive was abysmal, and then of course two pick sixes)

Then depending on how you view the TD that wasn’t and subsequent fumble that was either 7 points stolen or 7 more points given away.

Yea TCU certainly made some strong offensive plays (they also had three weeks to game plan…a luxury they don’t have this time )but not sure I see Georgia giving up 24 points the same way.

So it comes down to can TCU play tough defense that doesn’t involve some horse shoe up the ass luck and can their offense play somewhere on the level tOSU did against Georgia last night.

TCU about to spend a week dealing with attention and pressure on a whole different level than they have ever experienced.

It’s a ridiculous line. Ought to be TCU +9. Also, you act as if TCU did nothing on those pick 6s. They pretty much dominated the game and somehow allowed Michigan back in it. 

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

What about the 14-21 points Michigan was gifted by a phantom roughing call, a suspect PI call, and two interceptions that were good throws but deflected by missed catches?  Fortune didn’t only favor TCU in the game.
At the end of the day, TCU won a close game, but they never trailed and it was Michigan, not little ol’ TCU, that resorted to trick plays to try to hang with a team that was stronger, faster, and better coached.
TCU beat a very good Michigan team by punching them in the mouth. It’s not a roster of undersized scrubs. UGA may well win by a couple of scores, but I don’t think it’s likely. We’ll see. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i just don't get how anyone that's a horn can want roach to win

dumbfounded

Well, I grew up down the hill from Amon Carter Stadium, two sisters and a niece graduated from TCU along with a fuckton of friends with whom I grew up.  And the fact that along with Pepperdine and Dartmouth, TCU was the only four year college interested in furthering my baseball career.  Not interested enough to make it worth my while, but it was flattering.
And for only the second or third time in my life I rooted for tOSU to win because I'm sick of listening to the media fellate the execrable SEC.  You call TCU roaches, I call the SEC Darwin's Waiting Room.  
And it will be a close game, because TCU enjoys the same advantage as the Fuckeyes at the most important position on the field, QB.  In fact, I think this discrepancy is even more apparent with regard to Duggan v Bennett.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It’s a ridiculous line. Ought to be TCU +9. Also, you act as if TCU did nothing on those pick 6s. They pretty much dominated the game and somehow allowed Michigan back in it. 

I’m not saying they did nothing but honestly how many times does any team get 2 pick sixes in a game. It is not normal.

There is also that little fact that TCU lost just three or so weeks ago to a team that just got the piss beaten out of them. And yes I understand the transitive property doesn’t always apply.

I’m not saying it’s “right” I am just saying I understand how Vegas can see things this way…which is generally in a manner becoming to encouraging somewhat even gambling.

37 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I’m not saying they did nothing but honestly how many times does any team get 2 pick sixes in a game. It is not normal.

There is also that little fact that TCU lost just three or so weeks ago to a team that just got the piss beaten out of them. And yes I understand the transitive property doesn’t always apply.

I’m not saying it’s “right” I am just saying I understand how Vegas can see things this way…which is generally in a manner becoming to encouraging somewhat even gambling.

Vegas is smart in many respects. One is setting an (aggregate) opening line to attract action. This line ensures action by TCU (not much) and by astute gamblers (heavy action). I expect the line to move down closer to 10 by kick, unless there are injury situations I’m unaware of. 

A reasonable result is Georgia winning a two touchdown game. But in the spread of outcomes, it is hard to see Georgia blowing them out, unless there is a game like the ‘04 game where OU snowballed big time versus USC. Those teams were not 55-14 apart. With Duggan, and the range of potential outcomes, I personally think 13.5 is at least a field goal too high of an opening line. If there were a gun to my head, I’d say Georgia by 9 in a close contest where the Dawgs pull away in the 4th. I cannot see Duggan letting it get out of hand. He’s an Ehlinger type of kid with better arm talent. 

Edit: I also thought UM by 7-10 over Frogs. Coming into the CFP, I thought anything was possible with these 4 teams. OSU had the worst performance but with Stroud, the best player. I knew they’d give UGA a game. But none of these teams is as dominant as Alabama/Clemson of years past, UT/USC of decades past, or UGA of recent years. With that, TCU wasn’t gonna get overwhelmed by a Clemson DL of a few years ago, and could hang. They surprised yesterday. At various times I thought they’d blow UM out. Credit to JJ for keeping them in it. 

Edited by Porterhouse

13 hours ago, troph said:

I don’t work or hang out with dawgs but I do some frogs. Only thing worse would be aggy or tech. Baylor would be hell too. I won’t hear a word from Georgia. Go dawgs. 

Rooting for TCU here doesn't make any more sense than rooting for Tech or Baylor in the basketball championships did.

Those fanbases hate us.  Those programs recruit against us.  Hoping they get any sort of glory is stupid.  I hope they lose by 42 then go 3-9 next year.  Get back under your rock of insignificance, you date rapey frat daddy future fat guys.

• Hook 'Em 5

TCU has played this entire season with a giant rabbit foot up its ass. I’ve never seen anything like it. They just might be a team of destiny.

I feel like the check comes due this week though and Georgia pounds them. The history of the playoff is filled with mismatches and blowouts. NYE was an anomaly. I’m hoping for a good game but I think we get a yawner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

TCU needed every single break they got in order to win and Michigan still was driving at the end of the game before the refs bailed out TCU again with a blown targeting call (after blowing the TD pass earlier). 

That said, TCU did what they needed to do and took advantage of the opportunities - and made a few big plays of their own. They also looked to be a LOT faster than Michigan and that was surprising even for a Big Ten team.

I think that Bennett needs to take care of the ball and not make the mistakes McCarthy did. He's not the best athlete and will need to make good decisions. So I'd expect the roaches to load up to stop the run and force Bennett into making the same mistakes. They have the speed in the secondary to match up with UGA's WRs and it's worked for them against Texas and Michigan. 

Sagarin and Massey have UGA by 10 so maybe the line is a bit too high as others have said...

On 1/1/2023 at 8:23 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

All I kept mumbling to myself during both games was “we are so fucking far from playing in one of these games”. Kinda depressing. We need to hit on this class and get some huge portal guys to fill in our biggest positions of need.

We are 2 years away if the development keeps trending upward.  Take a deep breath.  It will be okay.

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2023 at 1:39 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

i think we are going to find that georgia and florida are the schools "most like us"

athens is/was very much like austin in the 60s-90s

gainesville not so much, but after vandy, florida has the best academics, and georgia not far behind

lots of grads from both that have acumen and game in their chosen industries

if this was lord satan, or a chip kelly year 1 story, i might reconsider

might

#teamcomet

no roach at all

Well said. 

First of all, the title of the thread still has roaches at -13.5. I would certainly take UGA and those points. Seriously, though:

Ohio State is the only opponent to keep Georgia within single digits all year. There certainly exists a chance that Georgia will have an off game (cough, Kentucky, cough), but I rather doubt it. Georgia has blasted some decent teams already. Ceteris paribus, I think Georgia handles the frogroaches easily and covers with points left over.

12 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

Georgia is a semi pro football team………….TCU is not. 

Why bother playing the game?  Let’s just post this as the game result and move on to the 2023 season. 

Edited by nnm
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, Fondren & Main said:

We are 2 years away if the development keeps trending upward.  Take a deep breath.  It will be okay.

Yeah. If.

The problem is we seem to be on this one step forward two steps back treadmill. If next year's team is better than last year's team then I will be encouraged. But that is not guaranteed, far from it. We could easily go backwards next season.

48 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah. If.

The problem is we seem to be on this one step forward two steps back treadmill. If next year's team is better than last year's team then I will be encouraged. But that is not guaranteed, far from it. We could easily go backwards next season.

Last year’s was better than the year before, and not just by record.

Losing Robinson and Johnson will be at least a temporary setback for the RB room, as it would be for any team in the country. More time in the system and weight room should help the OL and everywhere else. There’s the possibility of at least situational upgrades from the freshmen on defense. Cook seems to be pretty ready, considered. Maybe portal upgrades in the secondary and WR (?). 

But, yes, it’s not guaranteed that next year’s team will be better than this year’s.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:50 AM, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  Look at the top of their incoming class.  We offered 3 of their top 5

We only actually chased one of those guys' signatures through their commitment - Markis Deal.  We'd probably have taken Roberson, too, but otherwise there's not a lot of overlap here.

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Season/2023-Football/Commits/

Edited by texifornia

On 1/1/2023 at 7:01 PM, Porterhouse said:

That has been changing and will continue to trend in that direction. 

Top 11 in 2023 247 Texas HS recruiting-UT/OU/aggy + 1 Alabama and 1 USC.  TCU does have two of the 2nd 10, but nobody else until #48.

Top 24 in 2022-UT/OU/aggy 18 of the 24.  CFP national champs (LSU/UGA/AL/Ohio St./Clemson) had the other 6.  TCU's top was #26.

7 minutes ago, bullet said:

Top 11 in 2023 247 Texas HS recruiting-UT/OU/aggy + 1 Alabama and 1 USC.  TCU does have two of the 2nd 10, but nobody else until #48.

Top 24 in 2022-UT/OU/aggy 18 of the 24.  CFP national champs (LSU/UGA/AL/Ohio St./Clemson) had the other 6.  TCU's top was #26.

This is changing and you yourself identified the trend. And I’m not talking solely about Texas prospects. TCU starting to get big time recruits. This has never happened on the scale it’s happening now. 

On 1/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, South Austin said:

Had great seats for the 2019 Sugar Bowl, right in the Georgia section. They were insufferable douche waffles for about 20 minutes until they realized the Longhorns came to hit them right in the face. Then they were sufferable douche waffles for the rest of the game.

Go fuck yourselves, Georgia. 

Go Frogs.

Surly indeed! 😁

• Hook 'Em 1

TCU is good and has scoreboard on us, but let’s not make their squad this year out as world beaters in our backyard. They beat us, but only by one touchdown. The last 10-12 years have seen us lose a lot of games. They aren’t even the conference champs. You need a bit of luck to win it all, and they’ve had some. But they’re not champs of anything unless/ until they beat a Georgia team that is actually a conference champ, a defending national champ, undefeated, loaded with talent, etc.