2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

• 2 weeks later...

0345hrs-CST, rain begins in Austin.  Supposed to last 12 hours, and only then should we seek medical attention.  

We really fucking need this.  We're not supposed to expect much from Dec-Feb, but this has been abnormally dry even by our standards.  Drive safe out there this morning...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

0345hrs-CST, rain begins in Austin.  Supposed to last 12 hours, and only then should we seek medical attention.  

We really fucking need this.  We're not supposed to expect much from Dec-Feb, but this has been abnormally dry even by our standards.  Drive safe out there this morning...

Thank god. I get so fucking tired of these 30-45 day stretches with zero rain. 

Hate, how much rain does it take for your street to flood like that?  Seems like you post pictures of that happening every time it rains. 

This is the first time it’s rained this hard in a while. I think we’ve gotten about 4-5 inches of rain in the last 2 hours.

Edit: I just checked and we are up to about 6 inches of rain now. And we have. Even getting rain fairly regularly since the fall. Our soil isn’t dry here at all, so it doesn’t take a whole lot.

Edit #2: just dumped a little over 6.5 inches of rain out of the gauge.

e0fa7b01a64b70d9dcb51107ea06575c.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Been seeing a bunch of pictures on Twatter of the rain in Houston.  WTF.

Meanwhile in Austin...

rain drizzle GIF

44 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

it’s raining sideways at my house, very heavy 

storm drainage is full, lot of flooding / backing up 

Just depends on where in town.  I got 0.4" total at my house in Northwest Travis, never anything more than a drizzle but it lasted many hours. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

That damage in Houston looks substantial, I wouldn't think that's EF1 type random winter storm.  Hope everyone's OK.

Yeah, I shouldn't understate the severity; it's certainly catastrophic if it happens to you. Luckily, I'm mostly seeing roofs ripped off and downed trees, but it seems to have affected the Shell refinery to a point.