2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Literally not a drop near 360/2222.  Where are you guys getting pounded?  #phrasing

Not a drop today at my house in NW Travis either.  You can check on Hydromet to see that today's rain has fallen more over Austin proper and a little further east, but not much out west.  Which is still good for the city, but doesn't help the lakes at all.

image.png.4a0c4ccfcd6c7d89becaf14e913242eb.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, another healthy round last early evening.  We're just sW of downtown.  But nothing hit anywhere near the lakes.  Unless water started flowing in the opposite direction.  This gonna make for a shallow summer up that way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah nothing at my house in NW Travis since the really big storms a couple of weeks ago.  Totally missed out on any and all Saturday evening, Sunday, and Monday evening rain.  This isolated stuff isn't doing diddly for the overall drought.

Bring on El Nino.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yeah nothing at my house in NW Travis since the really big storms a couple of weeks ago.  Totally missed out on any and all Saturday evening, Sunday, and Monday evening rain.  This isolated stuff isn't doing diddly for the overall drought.

Bring on El Nino.

which of course, for those of you who no habla the espanol, is Spanish for "The Shitshow"  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/6/2023 at 3:12 AM, InkaUtexas said:

Lakes are fucked I fear. Saw it to the east and west of me, could hear the thunder. Not a drop. 

We need to root for a hurricane in SW Mexico. Everyone wash their cars please. 

The highland lakes have been in the “people must die and property must be destroyed to fill them up” phase for a while now. No amount of just rain was going to do it. Either Memorial Day floods or a fall hurricane is what it will take.  This summer the last of the public boat ramps will close.  Lake use will plummet and we will see some serious low levels.  

It is, and has been since 1942 when the highland lakes were created, a cycle. Some are longer, some are shorter.

Droughts in end floods, and this one will be no different.

I've been here since 1983 and this is the 6th down cycle in that stretch.

One perfectly timed hurricane track can fill that entire lake in less than a week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Yep, we just went through several years of the lake being full to very full. We were due for a bit of a dry spell. Maybe if the lakes go even further down people will think they need to look for somewhere else to move to/live. That would be nice.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, troph said:

The highland lakes have been in the “people must die and property must be destroyed to fill them up” phase for a while now. No amount of just rain was going to do it. Either Memorial Day floods or a fall hurricane is what it will take.  This summer the last of the public boat ramps will close.  Lake use will plummet and we will see some serious low levels.  

I think Travis use must already be much lower. I have noticed increased traffic on LBJ compared to previous years and figured it was a shift. 

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yep, we just went through several years of the lake being full to very full. We were due for a bit of a dry spell. Maybe if the lakes go even further down people will think they need to look for somewhere else to live to/live. That would be nice.

There is a lot of doom and gloom about the lake levels. The lake is here primarily as a water source and to control downstream flooding events, right? Are we genuinely concerned about either?

I've lived here my entire life and have never been worried about either scenario but maybe I'm just naïve. Or is there something else at play?

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

It is, and has been since 1942 when the highland lakes were created, a cycle. Some are longer, some are shorter.

Droughts in end floods, and this one will be no different.

I've been here since 1983 and this is the 6th down cycle in that stretch.

One perfectly timed hurricane track can fill that entire lake in less than a week.

My concern is that the population has grown astronomically, even since the last drought from 2011-2014(5?) and at some point, the water use is going to be more than the lakes can handle.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

My concern is that the population has grown astronomically, even since the last drought from 2011-2014(5?) and at some point, the water use is going to be more than the lakes can handle.

Phoenix is having to cut back on development because they realized their water resources are dwindling. It gets really fucking expensive to start bringing in water for household use by 18-wheelers or building pipes out to distant locations (which may be having their own water issues and may tell them to go pound sand).

On 6/7/2023 at 1:15 PM, hornbri said:

I think Travis use must already be much lower. I have noticed increased traffic on LBJ compared to previous years and figured it was a shift. 

there is at least one public boat ramp still open, but yeah several are already closed so traffic is lower on LT.

On 6/7/2023 at 1:24 PM, dieucla98 said:

There is a lot of doom and gloom about the lake levels. The lake is here primarily as a water source and to control downstream flooding events, right? Are we genuinely concerned about either?

I've lived here my entire life and have never been worried about either scenario but maybe I'm just naïve. Or is there something else at play?

not concerned about down stream flooding. straws into the lake only go so deep and there are more straws added every few years, that is a concern. it's partially mitigated by approving a new reservoir in Wharton County, it's under construction. but the demands on use are increasing and the dry line is moving east and it was already right over the highland lakes.  the third piece is controversial but is becoming a bigger part every year, the lake economy. while not a formal concern, the economic pain of low water isn't just a few marinas and restaurants anymore. at some point, if real money is at stake based solely on water levels you have to start paying attention. there is a ton of debate on whether the lake economy should have a consideration. of course then there is LCRA's pockets, they need to be lined with hydro power generation (i.e. wasted water sent down stream for profit).

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

We got bubkus in NW Travis.  We're 0 for 4 on rain events from last Saturday evening though present.

YARN | Zero point zero. | Animal House (1978) | Video clips by quotes |  a1a2f00c | 紗

if we had been ground zero in may our cistern would be full. we are doing much better but it's still not rainbows and kittens yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

That squall that blew through Houston yesterday evening was crazy. I walked out to my office garage at 6:00 and it was just starting to drizzle. 3 minutes later, heading up Yale and it's raining sideways and you can hardly see the lane markers. Had some pea-sized hail bouncing off the hood of my truck. That was some of the quickest street flooding I've ever seen occur. And within 20 minutes it was all over. 

It rained pretty good in the 34 with some good thunder and lightning. I was sleeping through it but then a big clap must of woke me and I noticed that I couldn't hear my fan. Then it cut on right then. I don't know how long the power was out or if I just imagined it. The rain has stopped now and it is real still out there. Just hear distant rumblings.

7 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Well that was fucking fun. Pea-to-marble sized hail, and lots of it. Will have to wait for sunrise for any damage assessment.

Not to dox you, but you’re still west/sw of Austin right?  We didn’t get hail here in south Austin proper, but was wondering about the area out off 290. 

17 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Shockingly, there haven’t been any delays yet. I’m kinda amazed they can take off through all this. Knock on wood 

I should’ve kept my gotdamn mouth shut. There may also be a fire in the control tower. There was at least an alarm and evac.