Nightmare fuel - airline employee gets sucked into jet engine.

Lhorn

I don't know enough about the force of a jet engine. I assume the plane was at idle. Is it enough to lift you into the air or do you need to be directly in front of the engine? Just wondering what he did wrong to get sucked in?

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I don't know enough about the force of a jet engine. I assume the plane was at idle. Is it enough to lift you into the air or do you need to be directly in front of the engine? Just wondering what he did wrong to get sucked in?

Walked in front.

I'm sure he just walked in front and got pulled by the column of air and lost his balance.

Twenty some years ago at El Paso a Continental mechanic was sucked through an engine during a 70 percent runup test at the gate for all the world to see. There was almost no identifiable parts left. We don't run an engine above idle at a gate anymore.

53 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I'm sure he just walked in front and got pulled by the column of air and lost his balance.

Twenty some years ago at El Paso a Continental mechanic was sucked through an engine during a 70 percent runup test at the gate for all the world to see. There was almost no identifiable parts left. We don't run an engine above idle at a gate anymore.

can i ask - do they get on your ass about taxiing on a single engine, and is that (single engine taxi) annoying in any way?

yeah I understand the reason. I think it's policy but captains have a lot of autonomy of course. I was curious if it does anything weird with steering, is an irksome process to spool them down independently, etc, or if it's just a good practice for fuel efficiency that requires no more than changing habits for pilots who haven't/don't always do that.

25 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

yeah I understand the reason. I think it's policy but captains have a lot of autonomy of course. I was curious if it does anything weird with steering, is an irksome process to spool them down independently, etc, or if it's just a good practice for fuel efficiency that requires no more than changing habits for pilots who haven't/don't always do that.

I don't single engine taxi because i don't give a fuck about saving fuel. They can take it out of my pension. Oh wait, they stole that already.

• Rage+1 2

I think this was in the movie Game Night.  IIRC Jason Bateman was being confronted by a guy with a gun on the tarmac near a jet.  Standing only a few feet apart bad guys gets sucked off his feet and into the jet engine.  

20 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Regional partners typically have outsourced ground services at non hubs. High turnover and less than enthusiastic employees can lead to an accident, yet we had a 20 + year employee at Continental Express walk into a spinning prop in the mid 90s.

I’ve flown with the CA on that flight several times. Great guy, who all parties agreed did everything right that day.   He says he still thinks about it all the time. He wasn’t shy about discussing it and what he learned from it and how it affects his mindset in all tasks this many years later. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 6:01 PM, Homercles said:

Ugh well that’s terrifying.  Wonder if the baggage contractor metrics incentivize getting bags off super-fast, #2 was still running awaiting the GPU hookup (jet bridge not in position yet?), and poor bastard got too close due to being in a hurry.  

He probably didn't know the APU was inop, therefore engines still running during external power hook up.