2023 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Emma already quit again.

Bianca went from 4-0 to 4-6, 6-0. 

I started laughing and had to come herr to post it, but you beat me to it.

ASB Classic: Emma Raducanu retires in tears with ankle injury 11 days before Australian Open

_128205156_gettyimages-1454348356.jpg

Emma Raducanu retired from her second-round ASB Classic match in tears after injuring her ankle just 11 days before the start of the Australian Open.

The 20-year-old Briton won the opening set 6-0 against Slovakia's Viktoria Kuzmova, but lost the second 7-5.

She received medical attention before the start of the third set but signalled her withdrawal two points into her opening service game.

The match was played on an indoor court because of persistent rain in Auckland.

Raducanu, the 2021 US Open champion, had an injury-blighted 2022 season, retiring from five matches, but said she was injury-free and feeling "good" following an exhibition match in December.

She began 2023 with victory over teenager Linda Fruhvirtova in her opening match in New Zealand in preparation for the season's first major tournament in Melbourne.

Elsewhere, Coco Gauff beat fellow American and winner of the 2020 Australian Open Sofia Kenin 6-4 6-4 to reach the quarter-finals in Auckland.

The 18-year-old number one seed will next play China's Zhu Lin, who defeated seven-time Grand Slam singles champion Venus Williams 3-6 6-2 7-5 in a rain-interrupted match that had to be moved on to an indoor court.

Zhu won the final four games of the match as she came from 5-3 down in the deciding set. Williams served for the match at 5-4 but the Chinese world number 84 broke and saved four break points as she held serve to move 6-5 ahead before again breaking serve.

"Outside it was really tough, it was rainy, windy. It was tennis, but it was more about surviving instead of playing great," said Williams, who has been given a wildcard entry to the Australian Open.

"Indoors it was completely different but I got to hit a lot of balls, so that's important."

At the Adelaide International, the Czech Republic's Linda Noskova, 18, set up a quarter-final with Belarus' two-time Australian Open winner Victoria Azarenka, 33. Noskova beat the United States' Claire Liu 6-2 6-2, while Azarenka overcame China's Zheng Qinwen 6-2 7-5.

Tunisia's world number two Ons Jabeur also reached the last eight with a 7-6 (7-3) 6-1 win over Romania's Sorana Cirstea, while 2017 French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko was beaten 6-3 6-0 by Romania's Irina-Camelia Begu.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/64171976

Edited by Napoleon

Top-ranked Carlos Alcaraz pulled out of the Australian Open on Friday because of an injured right leg.

The 19-year-old from Spain wrote on social media that he got hurt "through a chance, unnatural movement in training."

The year's first Grand Slam tournament begins Jan. 16 at Melbourne Park. The draw is next Thursday.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/35393225/no-1-carlos-alcaraz-australian-open-leg-injury

I follow a different tennis news feed.

8 Striking Photos of Sloane Stephens in Aruba

Cara O’Bleness
Fri, January 6, 2023 at 5:09 PM CST

The pro tennis player posed for photographer James Macari in 2018.

Sloane Stephens took a break from the WTA circuit when she traveled to Aruba in 2018 to work with SI Swimsuit photographer James Macari.

The athlete turned pro in 2009 and won the junior French, Wimbledon and U.S. Open doubles titles the very next year. Stephens won her first Grand Slam singles title at the U.S. Open in ‘17, which put her on the radar of a certain editor.

image.jpeg.555fd437555b6bf44e4a3f0170c54796.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59c3b2117e2d7bcf445c1c4006486c71.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7cd2ca54791e30fe963c28cb1428d85d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1d118b321037ae6dd3022e44e732c7f7.jpeg

[other words that no one cares about]

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/8-striking-photos-sloane-stephens-230909897.html

meant to post this past weekend but been busy:

medvedev lost to djoker in the semis? in adelaide but what amused me was djokovic having one of his dubious injuries and medvedev subtly making fun of it later on in the match.  djoker then sonned him.

halfway through the championship match after the end of a game he started gesturing to his box, waving for his brother and his manager to leave.  there's a poster on reddit who claimed he sat behind the box and the manager was talking to djokovic's brother about some deal during the match and djokovic overheard, got mad at the disruption, and that's why he made them leave.  at the PC after the match he thanked his family and box for supporting him.  weird stuff.

8 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Naomi got knocked up by her rapper boyfriend. Congrats to her

This will cement their relationship.

Can’t wait for her to imitate Serena and quote “I’m a mother…” on the court, rant for several minutes, then after a long pause, turn to a camera and start laughing. Then say…

”I’m just kidding. I’m not a bitch.”

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Anyone going to the tournaments in Dallas or Austin?

I went to Dallas last year.

Tickets are cheap at the start of the week, but it is a bit quiet. Considered buying some kind of souvenir but even the cheap hats were $35 to $40 and I said F that.

It was fun. I may consider going this year if I’m currently in Dallas, but I may be out of town. 

7 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

The pointing to the temple move has always annoyed me. My guess is that that is the purpose. Coaches teach their players to do that shit to intimidate/annoy their opponents.  Does Parks have a Richard Williams father that we’re going to have to hear about for 25 years?

Novak’s tendency to applaud the opponents’ amazing shots is like saying “You even impressed me with that shot.” It’s a way of reminding his players that he is superior even when he loses. 

He also pats his opponents’ chests with a flat hand. It’s some gay dom shit that he does and I hope that Álcaraz and other kids do it back to him as they start beating him in the coming 18 months. 

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

the field for the austin open is shaping up to be pretty strong.  

sloane, danielle, magda, emma, peyton!, shuai zhang, so far are the big names.

I still don’t see how they’re going to make the parking situation work out as it’s very limited at Westwood and there’s not much else around to use as overflow. They will have to implement a shuttle service of some sort.

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I still don’t see how they’re going to make the parking situation work out as it’s very limited at Westwood and there’s not much else around to use as overflow. They will have to implement a shuttle service of some sort.

SMU ran golf carts to a couple of parking lots. One was a garage and one was a lot on the other side of Central Expressway that would have taken about 10 to 15 minutes to walk back and forth. 

Almost no one goes to the day matches until Friday at the earliest and then the night matches are fairly dead until Wednesday or so. And then you add that WTA events aren't as well attended as ATP events and it might not be a problem, because day parking won't be needed until Saturday.