2023 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah but today it’s probably viewed not as problematic as Aerosmith’s ‘80s hit “Dude looks like a Lady”. 

Correct.

Here is the video and it starts off with Bowie singing into his vape pen.

At 1:13, Bowie gives us a lesson on how to get under the skin of “the woke mob”.

😌 😑 😆

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

That is less time than Pegula spent playing singles yesterday. And then she played 80 minutes of doubles after Iga finished. 

Kudermetova was looking good up until she wasn’t. She beat Gauff in a leggy battle… of legs. 

I’m thinking that Pegula will try hard and get beaten in straight sets after being broken at least 3 times. She will have to head to Dubai with a champion’s trophy for doubles and the 2nd place silver plate for singles. 

Am I the only one tired of the endless hype from the Tennis Channel (and elsewhere in the media) regarding the current batch of American men's tennis players—and their alleged  "greatness" and top shelf quality?

An American dude hasn't won anything significant since Roddick's 2003 US Open. None of the current dudes have come close to winning a slam. Getting to quarters/semis doesn't count. Let's see an American dude win a slam. Ain't happening any time soon. (I guess Taylor Fritz beating a obviously injured Rafa Nadal at Indian Wells last year counts for a little something.)

Once Roddick retired, American men's tennis has been like UT football.... mostly irrelevant for going on 15 years. 

Edited by BevoAbyss

11 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

Am I the only one tired of the endless hype from the Tennis Channel (and elsewhere in the media) regarding the current batch of American men's tennis players—and their alleged  "greatness" and top shelf quality?

An American dude hasn't won anything significant since Roddick's 2003 US Open. None of the current dudes have come close to winning a slam. Getting to quarters/semis doesn't count. Let's see an American dude win a slam. Ain't happening any time soon. (I guess Taylor Fritz beating a obviously injured Rafa Nadal at Indian Wells last year counts for a little something.)

Once Roddick retired, American men's tennis has been like UT football.... mostly irrelevant for going on 15 years. 

The hype is for a couple of reasons.

1) The Tennis Channel is an American TV channel that makes money off of advertising, but needs people to watch and be excited about tennis in order to make money.

2) “In 2015, Fritz reached at least the quarterfinal of all four junior Grand Slam tournaments, including the final at the French Open where he lost to Tommy Paul, and the final at the US Open where he defeated Paul.[12] This major success helped him finish the year as the number-one-ranked boy's junior tennis player, for which he was named the 2015 ITF Junior World Champion. He was the first American to hold this title since Donald Young in 2005 and Andy Roddick in 2000.

Fritz, Paul, and Opelka each won a junior Grand Slam in 2015 and Frances Tiafoe is basically the same age as well.

image.jpeg.44eda79ad76cc03dc529a2a19936e394.jpeg
*Tiafoe not pictured

With them all pushing each other, it makes sense that one of them is likely going to win a slam someday.

Also, when looking at hard courts, any one of those kids could find their way to the final of a 250.

Just enjoy the ride. It’s only hope that they’re pedaling, it’s not like they are shoving fentanyl down your throat.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

Iga’s last 5 matches... 

Samsonova: 6-1 6-0
Fernandez: 6-1 6-1
Pegula: 6-3 6-0
Kudermetova: 6-0 6-1
Collins: 6-0 6-1

Karolina has already quit their QF battle, so Iga is in the semis with an average of roughly 47 minutes per ‘round’ since the beginning of Doha. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Alicia Parks played one of the worst matches I’ve seen last night yet she still won. She was spraying errors everywhere even when she was just a few feet from the net 

I was totally for the Mexican. Parks played like a weekend player except for a monster serve. 

[old man rant]
And what’s with all of the fucking metal in her head? Nose pierce, metal bar going through her upper ear, many more earrings…

Maybe focus more on your game and less on picking a new part of your head to shove some metal through.

And then there was the attitude. [/old man rant]

I didn’t see any reason to cheer for her until…

I think that I spotted a barbell nipple pierce on her left nipple, and then I felt like if she pulled out the win, I would watch another match of hers to see if I could confirm what I thought I saw. 
🎾

• Haha 1

And I turned on the TV after ranting to see old man Murray win what turned out to be match point. Zverev was the 4 seed. 

Murray could have/should have lost in the first round vs Sonego and now he could have easily lost in the second round to Zverev, but he ground out a victory on that artificial hip and on he marches. 

Parks is out in straight sets.

She’s not good, but she has a deadly serve. Mentally she has a long way to go.

Little Diego Schwartzman is having an absolutely shitty year. (In singles AND doubles.) He’s finally playing like a guy who is 5’4”. If he doesn’t turn it around quickly, he’s going to lose that hot girlfriend of his.

Álcaraz & Fognini are just starting the third set in Rio.

On 2/18/2023 at 5:05 PM, BevoAbyss said:

I'm an optimist, but give it time.  Fritz, Wolf, Paul, Tiafoe, and Ben Shelton (damn, that kid's serve) may do something in the next year.

Edited by dcbc