RIP Coach Gustafson

TexEx15

He was the coach when I was in school. There was no limit to the number of games teams could play, and I was at least 95% off those games. Double headers every day of spring break. He was one of the best to ever coach the game. RIP Coach Gus

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

He was the coach when I was in school. There was no limit to the number of games teams could play, and I was at least 95% off those games. Double headers every day of spring break. He was one of the best to ever coach the game. RIP Coach Gus

His teams were so much fun to watch, any of us who witnessed those teams play should be considered lucky. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Damn. He was the coach when I was in school, including law school, when I’d go to 30+ games a season. Later in life, got to be friends with Scott Leon and Wylie Campbell, both of whom have great Gus stories. He was a creature of his times and age, for good and bad, but unquestionably a longhorn legend. Hook ‘em, Gus.

I wish I had gotten the chance to meet him.  Never happened.  

One day I went to an appointment at my dermatologist just north of campus, and in the waiting room who was there?  Gus.  And Jody Conradt.  Didn't seem like the right time & place to introduce myself to either one of them.  "Hey, how's that eczema responding to treatment?"

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Such an innovator of small ball (Gus Ball) and was instrumental in the design of Disch Falk after the team stopped playing at Clark Field. He wanted large dimensions and the field to play to the strength of Texas pitching.

RIP coach GUS.  I will forever be grateful for his input on the design of the visiting bull pen walls that could easily be scaled with a back pack full of iced down beer or by my girlfriend in a miniskirt.   On more than one occasion I exited the ballpark by going back over the wall out of respect and possibly because I was pretty drunk.

12 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

RIP coach GUS.  I will forever be grateful for his input on the design of the visiting bull pen walls that could easily be scaled with a back pack full of iced down beer or by my girlfriend in a miniskirt.   On more than one occasion I exited the ballpark by going back over the wall out of respect and possibly because I was pretty drunk.

I'm not sure how many cans of beer I saw getting tossed into the bleachers near the right field foul pole, but it wasn't just a few.  I might have participated.