NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

1 minute ago, Irieguy said:

It’s not hyperbole. 

If it was a concussion or head related injury, I could see it, but plenty of other sports have had cardiac issues (Peverley with the Stars, Eriksen and Nouri in soccer, etc). 

But none of this matters - him pulling through is bigger than this game or any playoff implication. 

I don't think there's any doubt the game has been called, but in fairness they've got a logistical nightmare on their hands right now. First and foremost is getting the fans to evacuate the stadium in an orderly way. It might sound simple, but getting 65,000 people doing anything against their planned schedule ain't easy. They've gotta do everything they can to keep people calm and avoid any other possible nightmare as they're leaving.

Very reminiscent of Christian Eriksen in the Euros last year, though sans the hit (Eriksen just dropped like a stone). But when he was getting CPR on the field for multiple minutes it felt like he was a dead man and was extremely disturbing. Fortunately he made it.

That game was eventually continued after a delay, I think after it was known he was conscious and stable.

Hope this kid is OK.

Edited by LonghornSean

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Crazy as it didn't look like that hard of a hit. You just never know. Hug your kids tonight 

He got hit pretty hard, then looked like his head hit the ground pretty hard as he landed, double bad. No telling what the deal is, though, whether related to a head injury or other issue.

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I don't think there's any doubt the game has been called, but in fairness they've got a logistical nightmare on their hands right now. First and foremost is getting the fans to evacuate the stadium in an orderly way. It might sound simple, but getting 65,000 people doing anything against their planned schedule ain't easy. They've gotta do everything they can to keep people calm and avoid any other possible nightmare as they're leaving.

Fans are ready to go home

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I think the people in the stands will, by and large, understand. They're on their phones right now seeing the news. They know what's going on.

• Hook 'Em 2

Speculation only, but if it was commotio cordis, it’s very survivable because it’s cardiac arrest without an underlying condition secondary to impact. Defibrillation(shocked back into a normal rhythm that allows the heart to create a pulse) is the only treatment, and it would need to be rapid, the 9 min down time if he was pulseless is an issue to long term brain function.

Just now, DougO said:

He got hit pretty hard, then looked like his head hit the ground pretty hard as he landed, double bad. No telling what the deal is, though, whether related to a head injury or other issue.

https://www.healthline.com/health/commotio-cordis

Commotio cordis occurs when a person is hit in the chest and that impact triggers a dramatic change in the rhythm of their heart.

The blow could come from an object, such as a baseball or hockey puck, and may not seem especially serious in the moment. However, commotio cordis is often fatal.

Commotio cordis is an uncommon injury, and it most commonly affects male teen athletes. Without immediate treatment, this condition can cause unexpected cardiac death.

Immediate first aid treatment with CPR and defibrillation with an automated external defibrillator (AED) may be able to restore the heart’s healthy rhythm and save a life.

As a much younger man I remember cheering football games with shit like " kill that mother fucker" and "break his god damn leg next time" 

Stupid shit like that. 

All many many years ago. Now I just hope that no one gets hurt. Ever. Even OU

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

This is feeling like one of Goodell's Top 10 fuckups.  Why is it so hard to do the right thing?  At the very least, it's a safety issue for the other players -- elite athletes playing a violent game with their minds elsewhere is a recipe for additional disaster.  Beyond that, it's an insult to Hamlin and his family.  

Are there no adults in the NFL front office?  Don't answer that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

But they've both already clinched playoff spots.  Declare it a no contest or a 2-2 tie or whatever and figure out your seedings without it being played.

I agree that’s what they should do but it’s such an unprecedented event (at least as far as I know/can recall) that I would be really curious to hear the back and forth discussions being had right now by the NFL top brass

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Well, that guy was alive. 

Yes and he is still having issues, didn’t they sit him down cause he couldn’t recall plays or events recently. Seems like he is alive but with a brain issue 

NFL is with a pr firms right now trying to see how to spin this since playoffs are coming 

Edited by Gengs1

Just now, NAVY said:

As a much younger man I remember cheering football games with shit like " kill that mother fucker" and "break his god damn leg next time" 

Stupid shit like that. 

All many many years ago. Now I just hope that no one gets hurt. Ever. Even OU

I still yell this

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Speculation only, but if it was commotio cordis, it’s very survivable because it’s cardiac arrest without an underlying condition secondary to impact. Defibrillation(shocked back into a normal rhythm that allows the heart to create a pulse) is the only treatment, and it would need to be rapid, the 9 min down time if he was pulseless is an issue to long term brain function.

I keep seeing the 9 minutes but he started receiving CPR very quickly, right?

• Like 1

Just make the fucking call Goodell. There is no way in hell any of the players can give any attention to play the game, Bills players especially. When I heard the dude got CPR on the field, no way any of these guys can give the game the attention it needs at this (or any) level.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't realize the game was covered more in this thread and posted in the gambling thread. Hope he is okay. Was at the gym, ran errands, had dinner ready and about to bust out a nice bottle of tequila when I turned on the game about 30 minutes after start. Game should be called of course, hope he makes it through this. Crazy night.