NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

13 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve had to use it before and I haven’t taken a refresher course in 25 years.  Chest compressions are no longer recommended?  I recall reading that somewhere years ago. 

What?  Mouth to mouth is no longer recommended, especially if one person is performing it. There’s enough air in the lungs, better to stay on compressions and keep blood flowing. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve had to use it before and I haven’t taken a refresher course in 25 years.  Chest compressions are no longer recommended?  I recall reading that somewhere years ago. 

Chest compressions are absolutely recommended (unless the patient has a pulse).

breaths are not necessarily (unless things have changed again)

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think that's exactly what happened.  The head coaches came together on field a second time, and seemed to agree it was time to head to the locker rooms.  This was after the 5-minute "get ready" signal.  

That's exactly what happened.  They said Fuck you we aren't doing it

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So do shoulder pads restrict the ability to properly perform cpr?  I can see minutes frittering away as protective gear has to be removed.  AED as well if there are metal components that might redirect the current. 

Shoulder pads are cut away very quickly in a situation like this.  The CPR and the pad application from the AED would be straight to the skin.

I was watching the game when this happened and immediately noticed the sense of urgency in the medical staff from both teams, then they showed the replay and showed him drop - classic appearance of sudden cardiac arrest.  Commotio cordis is possible, but unlikely through shoulder pads.  Either way, treatment is the same - defibrillation to restore normal rhythm and CPR until the defibrillator is successful.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What?  Mouth to mouth is no longer get recommended, especially if one person is performing it. There’s enough air in the lungs, better to stay on compressions and keep blood flowing. 

Thank you.  I will get on updating my training as soon as I get my mom who just had knee replacement surgery back on her feet.  30 years ago the compressions and breaths were considered equally important.  

Yep, I took a CPR course recently and was taught that you should focus on chest compressions, and try to get help as fast as possible, Also "Staying Alive" was mentioned as the beat to use. It's also exhausting to continually do chest compressions so it's good if more than one can take turns.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So do shoulder pads restrict the ability to properly perform cpr?  I can see minutes frittering away as protective gear has to be removed.  AED as well if there are metal components that might redirect the current. 

I think you can cut the laces with trauma shears and get the pads out of the way pretty quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Unsubstantiated feelings are leading to emotional jimmyjazz conclusions. None of us know what was going on. 

Jesus Christ you’re fucking stupid.

Go back and read the first 5 words of my post. After thinking about it for an hour, make sure your son and his buddies are no longer using the motel bathroom you have for the night, look into the mirror and say, “you’re fucking stupid.”

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

I think you can cut the laces with trauma shears and get the pads out of the way pretty quickly.

Basically cut the jersey (and through the pad laces) from belly button to sternum, then armpit to sternum and it and the pads come completely off

• Hook 'Em 1

haven’t read the whole thread, but my $0.02:

My (biased) opinion - something like wpw or a channelopathy like Brugada or long qt syndrome. 

Remember reading that’s how Hank Gather and Reggie Lewis died

if true he got cpr/defibrillated, 100% chance they’d tube him for airway protection.  Probably nothing to do with his presenting sign, just for protection 

• Hook 'Em 2

Earlier someone posited that his pads might have protected him from serious blunt force trauma of the type that could cause heart abnormalities.  Do modern pads like those worn by a defensive back protect that part of the chest?  Seems to me they're pretty minimal (although effective for protecting the shoulders).

When I first saw the replay I was looking for signs of head trauma on impact (aside from the fact that the back of his head hit the ground after he collapsed), it was the type of tackle you see all the time. Your mind immediately goes to concussion, but it quickly turned into a cardiac event. It appears that he was able to get up momentarily while his brain was still oxygenated. Praying for that young man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

All I know is we have waaaay more doctors on this board than I thought before tonight. You mother fuckers lurk too much. 

Not a doctor.  Did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  However, I did work as an athletic trainer for several years and currently work in cardiac rhythm management.  Looked a crap-ton like sudden cardiac arrest.  But what do I know?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Earlier someone posited that his pads might have protected him from serious blunt force trauma of the type that could cause heart abnormalities.  Do modern pads like those worn by a defensive back protect that part of the chest?  Seems to me they're pretty minimal (although effective for protecting the shoulders).

SCHUTZ | Other | Football Chest Pad | Poshmark

You need an anatomy lesson if you don't think that covers the heart. And the fact that this only happens literally one in a million hits.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If nothing else, the PSA's cleverly say that chest compressions are to be administered to the beat of Staying Alive by the Bee Gees. I heard a story on it on NPR and doctors agree that the rhythm is correct, easy way to remember.

And if you don’t know the song, it’s 100 bpm 

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If nothing else, the PSA's cleverly say that chest compressions are to be administered to the beat of Staying Alive by the Bee Gees. I heard a story on it on NPR and doctors agree that the rhythm is correct, easy way to remember.

'tis true. but harder to get the depth of compression right if it isn't something you do or keep up to date on a semi-frequent basis. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I’ve got friends on both sides of the fence.  Unfortunately one side started with the vax shit

Every fucking Twitter thread on this is FULL of anti-vaxxers gleefully (and incorrectly) jumping all over this….nevermind that sudden cardiac events, including those caused by impact, had been a known thing forever.

Chest compressions are recommended. Stopping for Rescue Breaths in 1 person rescue is no longer recommended.

Correct. One of our local judges is alive because his wife did serious chest compressions after a heart attack until EMS got there. She did them so hard she cracked ribs, and as I understand, best to err on the side of too hard.
He's always good.  He might be winning an Emmy tonight.  Just exactly what the moment needs.

He was great, just a great presence with genuine emotion and passion. It was meaningful to watch.

I pray this young man is ok. I’ve seen too much death in recent days, and I’m not really able to sort it all out. I just want some good news.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Vermin said:

You need an anatomy lesson if you don't think that covers the heart. And the fact that this only happens literally one in a million hits.

Thanks.  Looks like better coverage than I remember from way back when I played in the NFL.  Hence, the question.

• Drool 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

When reading up on commotio cortis, I noticed that it was said to occur primarily in young boys/teenagers given they're not fully physically developed. I would think that the shoulder pads and the extremely well developed physique of a NFL player would be a mitigant, but the force applied by a NFL RB is also a lot to take a direct hit with.

Also editing to add what goes without saying, I am terrified for Hamlin, his family, and his teammates. Hoping for a miracle.

Edited by gmr548