NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct. One of our local judges is alive because his wife did serious chest compressions after a heart attack until EMS got there. She did them so hard she cracked ribs, and as I understand, best to err on the side of too hard.

I was taught to compress the sternum 3”. That means hard force, and sometimes ribs break. 

but broken ribs and a beating heart/functioning brain is better than futile attempts that do nothing to help. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Earlier someone posited that his pads might have protected him from serious blunt force trauma of the type that could cause heart abnormalities.  Do modern pads like those worn by a defensive back protect that part of the chest?  Seems to me they're pretty minimal (although effective for protecting the shoulders).

Commotio cordis was something I always worried about when I coached baseball. From what I remember none of the protective gear for pitchers and catchers did a good job of preventing commotio cordis.

It just takes a certain amount of compression at the right spot at the right moment during a heart beat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Just pulling anything I find. This is your territory 

Yes I read he’s still intubated as of an hour ago at the hospital.  Definitely a very poor prognosis.  Hope to hell I’m wrong or it was wrongly reported about him being intubated.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacman said:

shutting espn off, senseless to continue showing distraught Bills players

There's something surreal about the broadcast. Seeing reporters with tear streaks on their cheeks... long pauses from just being at a loss for words.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If nothing else, the PSA's cleverly say that chest compressions are to be administered to the beat of Staying Alive by the Bee Gees. I heard a story on it on NPR and doctors agree that the rhythm is correct, easy way to remember.

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes I read he’s still intubated as of an hour ago at the hospital.  Definitely a very poor prognosis.  Hope to hell I’m wrong or it was wrongly reported about him being intubated.  

No, it’s not. You don’t get intubated and then extubated within 2 hours unless it was a self extubation. They probably have him on some significant sedation just so he doesn’t yank at his tube. They’ll reassess in the AM with a cxr and SBT. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This gave me flashbacks to when someone had a cardiac arrest when walking out of my office one day at work. Just dropped straight down after being fine one second earlier. Me and another co-worker did compressions until the ambulance showed up with some weird jackhammer chest compression machine (that ended up breaking a couple of his ribs). Apparently during the time it took medical personnel to get him to the hospital he also had some sort of stroke/brain bleed. Luckily, he ended up surviving and regaining most of physical capabilities after almost a month in the hospital. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

And the award for biggest douchebag of 2023 goes to…Leonardo Pagnatti, Jr.  Of course the original tweet has since been deleted:

Holy shit, I sure hope Skip Bayless hacked his Twitter to redirect some of the heat away from himself.  And I hope he gets caught.

14 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yes, this. I've had these emergencies happen while Captaining a vessel. My sister, ER nurse has saved 2 lives performing CPR. It saves lives and needs to be mandatory at school or any work environment. Prayers to him and his family

Edited by CptnJiggleBits
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was taught to compress the sternum 3”. That means hard force, and sometimes ribs break. 

but broken ribs and a beating heart/functioning brain is better than futile attempts that do nothing to help. 

I was taught to feel the heart get squeezed by the spine and I watched the pulse rhythm on the monitor to confirm. Most broken ribs I felt were on either frail elderly patients (usually women) or people who were severe hard drug abusers. It wasn’t usually the big fat guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I like all the medical professionals are posting. We get too much lawyering from the lawyers. Nice change.

been reading more on Hamlin. What a stud of a young man. Forget he’s a star athlete and sounds like he’s been playing very well—He’s a great role model for young men. Hope he pulls through this and continue doing good for his charity and for others. ❤️❤️❤️ prayers up! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

No, it’s not. You don’t get intubated and then extubated within 2 hours unless it was a self extubation. They probably have him on some significant sedation just so he doesn’t yank at his tube. They’ll reassess in the AM with a cxr and SBT. 

Yep, I’m in London and it’s 4:30.  Didn’t catch where he was intubated in the first place.  Way back when my dumb non cardiologist ass had to run a code or two…and break a few teeth while intubating…this would not look all that promising.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

SVP reporting the Bills are still at the stadium. Scott being very careful to not speculate too much but he’s wondering if they just want to remain together. I would take that as not a very good sign, almost like they are expecting the worst news they could get tonight. I hope I’m way wrong on that.

If I was Goodell, making $50mil / year. I'm firing up on the NFL jet and getting to cinnci asap. Seeing if hamlin and his family need anything. nfl players president should be there too. making sure his family has full accommodations and whatever else they need. 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

SVP reporting the Bills are still at the stadium. Scott being very careful to not speculate too much but he’s wondering if they just want to remain together. I would take that as not a very good sign, almost like they are expecting the worst news they could get tonight. I hope I’m way wrong on that.

They showed Stefan Diggs somehow got through security at the hospital to try and go see him. 

I am trying to be hopeful on his prognosis. He’s got so much good work left to do in his community and for his charity. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

My guess would be that the team was scheduled to travel back after the game was supposed to conclude and that it's easier to just go with the original travel plan than rushing to get everyone out earlier.  Wouldn't the game have ended about now if it hadn't been stopped?  That's my thought anyway.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2