NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

My guess would be that the team was scheduled to travel back after the game was supposed to conclude and that it's easier to just go with the original travel plan than rushing to get everyone out earlier.  Wouldn't the game have ended about now if it hadn't been stopped?  That's my thought anyway.

That could very well be what is happening.
  • Hook 'Em 1

They showed Stefan Diggs somehow got through security at the hospital to try and go see him. 

I am trying to be hopeful on his prognosis. He’s got so much good work left to do in his community and for his charity. 

Yeah, he took an Uber from the stadium to the hospital.

EDIT: based on above tweet, the cop did NOT let him in.
  • Hook 'Em 1

SVP reporting the Bills are still at the stadium. Scott being very careful to not speculate too much but he’s wondering if they just want to remain together. I would take that as not a very good sign, almost like they are expecting the worst news they could get tonight. I hope I’m way wrong on that.

Not that they couldn’t move it up but their charter isn’t scheduled to depart Cincy till 1:30am. Teams typically don’t stay at hotels the night after games so there’s quite a few things the team staying at the stadium could mean.

120d49550f4496202fbadfbf59c7d8ea.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

SVP reporting the Bills are still at the stadium. Scott being very careful to not speculate too much but he’s wondering if they just want to remain together. I would take that as not a very good sign, almost like they are expecting the worst news they could get tonight. I hope I’m way wrong on that.

I would think there’s a sense of “we don’t want to get on the plane without him,” even if that isn’t going to be reality. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

When reading up on commotio cortis, I noticed that it was said to occur primarily in young boys/teenagers given they're not fully physically developed. I would think that the shoulder pads and the extremely well developed physique of a NFL player would be a mitigant, but the force applied by a NFL RB is also a lot to take a direct hit with.

Also editing to add what goes without saying, I am terrified for Hamlin, his family, and his teammates. Hoping for a miracle.

*WR

Can y'all help me get this assclown banned from Twitter? He is posting fake GoFundMe links that are modeled off Damar Hamlin's and trying to get people to donate to the wrong one

https://twitter.com/moonwalkjosh

I've already reported him and some of the links/tweets, but he has posted quite a few

Edited by UTHornFan014
  • Rage+1 4

37 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:

Can y'all help me get this assclown banned from Twitter? He is posting fake GoFundMe links that are modeled off Damar Hamlin's and trying to get people to donate to the wrong one

https://twitter.com/moonwalkjosh

I've already reported him and some of the links/tweets, but he has posted quite a few

Reported it.

And blocked the dickhead.

• Hook 'Em 1

After many years of watching many many football games I have never seen a player stand up that quickly and then just absolutely positively pass out I don't know if the player he tackled helmet got him to the heart maybe and cause an arrhythmia it was scary he was down there forever and I'm sending so many prayers to his family and his teammates my son was at a football game where a player from the posing team that was playing console technically done on the field and they use the kit and brought them back to life and Mac Brown honored his scholarship and he became a team helper.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

This is the weirdest shit ever, if this is what happened. If you get hit hard enough in the right place in the chest at the right time it can make your heart stop. You would think that with the hundreds of thousands or millions of games that have been played at all levels for the last 100+ years those circumstances would have arisen more than a handful of time. The human body is weird. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

This is the weirdest shit ever, if this is what happened. If you get hit hard enough in the right place in the chest at the right time it can make your heart stop. You would think that with the hundreds of thousands or millions of games that have been played at all levels for the last 100+ years those circumstances would have arisen more than a handful of time. The human body is weird. 

If he did suffer commotio cordis, it is even rarer for his age group and body build. 

In the US, there are usually less than 30 cases per year and the majority fall into the 8-18 age group. Even rarer for 20 yr olds and above.

The most likely sports where it happens are baseball (usually pitchers on a come backer) hockey, and lacrosse. Projectiles (baseballs, pucks) flying around 40 mph (from studies) seem to be the main culprit AND it needs to happen at the split second just before or on repolarization of the T wave. With the younger age groups, it happens more often due to the not yet developed chest muscles and lack of proper sports protection across the sternum or left chest wall. Football's shoulder pads help to lessen this.

Like tonight, key treatment is effective CPR and early defibrillation (though nine minutes of CPR is getting up there for brain anoxia). Hopefully the CPR was good. Survival rates have come up within the past few years with more AEDs on sporting fields, but it is still only around 50-58% with the early interventions. Not that long ago , it was in the 30 percentiles.

I wish him a good outcome, but there is more than just getting pulses and a BP back for a proper end result.

For those mentioning retaking a CPR course,......( @ztejas, @SHOOTER12 ) if you are doing that, you should also look into a Stop The Bleed course. It's not long, probably more likely to use (maybe even on yourself), & the course covers direct pressure, wound packing, and most importantly nowadays, the proper use and placement of a tourniquet. 

Luckily for Jeremy Renner, he had a neighbor (supposedly a Doc) that placed a tourniquet on his leg before EMS/Fire gets there, otherwise he most likely bleeds out before they are able to transport him.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah he's the GOAT SC anchor. Consummate professional completely dedicated to his craft. 

I watch very little sports talk stuff but SVP has been my favorite anchor for a while. 
Also, there’s something about his speech cadence that puts me to sleep in the middle of the night if there’s a rerun on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve had to use it before and I haven’t taken a refresher course in 25 years.  Chest compressions are no longer recommended?  I recall reading that somewhere years ago. 

Breaths are no longer recommended.   Chest compression pump the blood.  Source.  My cpr recert 2 weeks ago 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1